2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Ya they still make it. Like a lot of other less well known hoochies, finding it in a store is another matter. Perhaps Berry's still stocks it. They used to really recommend it in the past and usually had it in stock. It's kind of a forgotten pattern that rarely ever gets mentioned these days. Since Nikka closed it's hard to find the majority of the Yamashita hoochies in local stores.

Edit: I checked the Berry's Bait website. They still sell the O83R hoochie for those interested in trying it out.

Pacific net and twine carries over 100 different Yamishita styles & colours..plus a wack of Yo-zuro hoochies o....
Ya they still make it. Like a lot of other less well known hoochies, finding it in a store is another matter. Perhaps Berry's still stocks it. They used to really recommend it in the past and usually had it in stock. It's kind of a forgotten pattern that rarely ever gets mentioned these days. Since Nikka closed it's hard to find the majority of the Yamashita hoochies in local stores.

Edit: I checked the Berry's Bait website. They still sell the O83R hoochie for those interested in trying it out.

Just to let u guys know PNT has over 100 different colours Yamishite hoochie in stock plus a pile of Yo-zuri in stock

Resized_20170309_154047.jpeg

Pacific net and twine carries over 100 different Yamishita styles & colours..plus a wack of Yo-zuro hoochies o....

Just to let u guys know PNT has over 100 different colours Yamishite hoochie in stock plus a pile of Yo-zuri in stock

View attachment 31845
Thanks Derby. I was thinking the Steveston PNT store carried mostly North Pacific brand hoochies. I haven't been in there in a while.

Fish are always moving so pick your poison, I know this time of year I have done well from the mile marker to the bell and also in the Howe Sound area ,one thing about guides is they stick together and tell all to each other and nothing more this is why they catch more.

Guides generally catch more because we (as in myself included for having done it a long time) work hard to figure what we need to do on a given day to make them bite and fish the right location at the right time at the right time of year when the fish are there. We stick together because we know that information puts fish in the box and rewards clients and the business. It also rewards us because we like our clients to be rewarded for spending their hard earned money with us and we know they have been looking forward or dreaming of the thrill of reeling in a silver slab for weeks or months or years. Since fishing guides and charter operators aren't getting rich and engines and boats don't fix or replace themselves naturally we're not (myself included) going to tell everyone where to go all the time and how we do it. Even certain guides don't offer up the information to the guide the next dock or slip over.

With the advent of social media now and everyone following everyone on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc there few secrets... but the secrets that really good...should remain secrets.

Business in a free market requires competitive edge and value propositions for clients. That's why guides shouldn't and therefore don't tell everyone where they fish all the time.

I frequent local marinas with friends, fellow guides and say hello to the sport private guys putting fish on the dock or cleaning table and politely make conversation . With almost 100% certainty what happens next is: I head out fishing here and there and I have yet to see any of the local sport contingent offer up.... "by golly you should be fishing X with your cannonballs scraping the northwest trench at 150' with a 37" leader Moonbeam Hoochies behind a Fandango Flasher at 14 feet off the clip at 2.3 mph. It had absolutely gangbusters for us there the last 3 days and we're getting lots of action.!!! Yeah right!! Like that has ever happened?!? That's a fact. Or when it did happen it was a fabricated lie and nothing actually happened.

I've also walked up to guys and asked them how they made out and given them free unsoliticted information, tied their gear for them and hooked them up with lots of deadly advice when I came back to the dock after doing well. They went out and caught a couple. yay! Good for them.

I have yet to see the sport contingent drop by my cleaning tables when I had a tough day on the water and tell me where I should have been at Y location at X hour using Z gear. Likewise get on the radio or call me up on my phone and say "yo! Get your butt over here because it's on focking fire!!!" I have yet to experience that from someone...a non guide...who wants all the information.

Well, fishing isn't rocket science (cause every dog has its day as the saying goes) , and let's chalk it up to some people being more talented at fishing or rocket science than others and everyone is entitled to their own... and just remember not all pictures and social media pictures are taken where the fishing was and fish were killed.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet for that matter...including this post.

But hey...where all the boats are fishing....there are no secrets...and anyone can catch fish...and everyone should share information so instead of 2 boats catching 4 fish of 4 boats fishing said Spot...we can have 15 boats fish a 4 boat area so that all 5 fish that were possible to be angled were caught. And as for the guys who had a good pull that day catch more than some others....stroke your ego...now do it again 95% of the time. Because that is sport...and what guide wants their clients to catch fish....or half as many fish as they otherwise would have?

By the way if anyone wants GPS coordinates to the best Hali spots, Prawning Spots and a hot line to where you should be fishing at a given time call up your local guide or post them here....because we'll serve that information right up because it's sportsmanlike...and makes perfect sense for everyone to share....like communism....communism makes perfect sense....part of the last salmon for everyone. Fishing is like pie....just because someone gets a bigger slice or baked it....getting a slice doesn't mean they should give up half to the next guy in line...eventually no one gets a slice...everyone gets crumbs and clients like crumbs...because crumbs are good for everyone...regardless of what they paid or asked for. The clients paid for pie...not crumbs.

Last edited:
Come on FM, quit holding out on me. Where can I buy that killer rig you quoted. :)
Way more satisfaction if your not spoon fed all the info anyways. Sharing is good, but some guys do expect a little too much.

Ah! It's gotta be made by Gibbs-Delta Whixh has a name like Lemon lime strawberry shortcake moon jelly uv laser glow Terminator Flasher to a nuclear guide's choice series spoon behind some kind of fluoro twine leader.....at some tackle shack. But hey...they only work this week and next week it is going to be something else and you better buy it now while in stock.

Ah! It's gotta be made by Gibbs-Delta Whixh has a name like Lemon lime strawberry shortcake moon jelly uv laser glow Terminator Flasher to a nuclear guide's choice series spoon behind some kind of fluoro twine leader.....at some tackle shack. But hey...they only work this week and next week it is going to be something else and you better buy it now while in stock.
You convinced me, I'll get to googlin that tackle up right away, and bring my wheelbarrow when I find the store that stocks those killers. Too funny.

You convinced me, I'll get to googlin that tackle up right away, and bring my wheelbarrow when I find the store that stocks those killers. Too funny.

Was out this morning. Got up late and missed the ebb and low slack at Tunstall but still managed one. We also have crazy tangles and caught bottom but those stories you don't want to hear about

Attachments

• IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_5441.JPG
    IMG_5441.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 164
Fished a few hours at Tunstall this a.m. ... very little bait and 2 undersized. Very quiet.

On the way back, came across a boat that had broken down between the miles markers and towed them back in to Vanier. I guess the boat had also called for help (I missed that as my radio was off as I was running back in) and Harbour Patrol came out to check on things after we had started the tow back in ... curious as to how they determine whether Harbour Patrol or Coast Guard responds in the harbour in a non-life safety situation.

I was out in the harbour as well and heard all that go down - the guy you towed in initially made a call to the CG on 16, but then lost contact - so they issued a Mayday - in that situation they task whomever is closer (civilian, CG, harbour patrol etc). Once they determined you had him under tow, they stood the other responders (was the Harbour patrol and other sporty) down. In non-emergency cases they will do a "broadcast for assistance" first - if nobody responds (usually commercial guys do) and it might deteriorate into a safety issue, only then will they task a CG vessel

Fished a few hours at Tunstall this a.m. ... very little bait and 2 undersized. Very quiet.

On the way back, came across a boat that had broken down between the miles markers and towed them back in to Vanier. I guess the boat had also called for help (I missed that as my radio was off as I was running back in) and Harbour Patrol came out to check on things after we had started the tow back in ... curious as to how they determine whether Harbour Patrol or Coast Guard responds in the harbour in a non-life safety situation.

Kudos to you Teja for helping a fellow mariner in distress. I have a special place in my heart for folks like you and the fellow who towed me the last 6 miles into Ucluelet a few years ago when my main wouldn't start and I lost the steering for my kicker. The CG ship out of Bamfield responded and checked out the tow to ensure all was OK. Karma will be with you!

btw teja, you need to pick a name for your boat "30ft fishing boat" just doesn't sound right on the radio :)

did a few big loops through tunstal bay with 5 other boats today, found one sole while dragging bottom
saw an aluminum boat catch a small one right as we crossed paths

Guides generally catch more because we (as in myself included for having done it a long time) work hard to figure what we need to do on a given day to make them bite and fish the right location at the right time at the right time of year when the fish are there. We stick together because we know that information puts fish in the box and rewards clients and the business. It also rewards us because we like our clients to be rewarded for spending their hard earned money with us and we know they have been looking forward or dreaming of the thrill of reeling in a silver slab for weeks or months or years. Since fishing guides and charter operators aren't getting rich and engines and boats don't fix or replace themselves naturally we're not (myself included) going to tell everyone where to go all the time and how we do it. Even certain guides don't offer up the information to the guide the next dock or slip over.

With the advent of social media now and everyone following everyone on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc there few secrets... but the secrets that really good...should remain secrets.

Business in a free market requires competitive edge and value propositions for clients. That's why guides shouldn't and therefore don't tell everyone where they fish all the time.

I frequent local marinas with friends, fellow guides and say hello to the sport private guys putting fish on the dock or cleaning table and politely make conversation . With almost 100% certainty what happens next is: I head out fishing here and there and I have yet to see any of the local sport contingent offer up.... "by golly you should be fishing X with your cannonballs scraping the northwest trench at 150' with a 37" leader Moonbeam Hoochies behind a Fandango Flasher at 14 feet off the clip at 2.3 mph. It had absolutely gangbusters for us there the last 3 days and we're getting lots of action.!!! Yeah right!! Like that has ever happened?!? That's a fact. Or when it did happen it was a fabricated lie and nothing actually happened.

I've also walked up to guys and asked them how they made out and given them free unsoliticted information, tied their gear for them and hooked them up with lots of deadly advice when I came back to the dock after doing well. They went out and caught a couple. yay! Good for them.

I have yet to see the sport contingent drop by my cleaning tables when I had a tough day on the water and tell me where I should have been at Y location at X hour using Z gear. Likewise get on the radio or call me up on my phone and say "yo! Get your butt over here because it's on focking fire!!!" I have yet to experience that from someone...a non guide...who wants all the information.

Well, fishing isn't rocket science (cause every dog has its day as the saying goes) , and let's chalk it up to some people being more talented at fishing or rocket science than others and everyone is entitled to their own... and just remember not all pictures and social media pictures are taken where the fishing was and fish were killed.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet for that matter...including this post.

But hey...where all the boats are fishing....there are no secrets...and anyone can catch fish...and everyone should share information so instead of 2 boats catching 4 fish of 4 boats fishing said Spot...we can have 15 boats fish a 4 boat area so that all 5 fish that were possible to be angled were caught. And as for the guys who had a good pull that day catch more than some others....stroke your ego...now do it again 95% of the time. Because that is sport...and what guide wants their clients to catch fish....or half as many fish as they otherwise would have?

By the way if anyone wants GPS coordinates to the best Hali spots, Prawning Spots and a hot line to where you should be fishing at a given time call up your local guide or post them here....because we'll serve that information right up because it's sportsmanlike...and makes perfect sense for everyone to share....like communism....communism makes perfect sense....part of the last salmon for everyone. Fishing is like pie....just because someone gets a bigger slice or baked it....getting a slice doesn't mean they should give up half to the next guy in line...eventually no one gets a slice...everyone gets crumbs and clients like crumbs...because crumbs are good for everyone...regardless of what they paid or asked for. The clients paid for pie...not crumbs.
You obviously misunderstood me or didn't see my comment after lol I have best friends as guides and a family member so you should of saved your breath bud like I said I could tell ya where to go and what I caught but what someone does with the info is up to them oh and not asking for secrets just a honest fishing report!! enjoy the waters next time tight lines!!

IMG_3350.PNG
You obviously misunderstood me or didn't see my comment after lol I have best friends as guides and a family member so you should of saved your breath bud like I said I could tell ya where to go and what I caught but what someone does with the info is up to them oh and not asking for secrets just a honest fishing report!! enjoy the waters next time tight lines!!

Honest fishing report is right....because you benefitted certain information as you say.....and saved my breath is right.... I understood exactly what you said in your post... and we'll just agree...that we disagree... I have also attached a screenshot for added reference.

Zipper lips it is....guides have no problem sharing the water...just not with the entire world. I remember it was not that long ago certain spots had 1/4 the fishing pressure....real more the merrier now.

Last edited:
lol that's a completely different story and a old post I was referring to the one I posted after ,but I have fished the ocean 40 plus years and it was busier in my opinion back in the day in most spots I still fish to this day!

Was pretty busy back then, tons of boats in spots that now only have 1 or 2. Then again there are tons of boats in spots that back then had only 1 or 2.

Back