2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Fished Tunstall today from 10-2 or so, got pretty breezy in afternoon. 1 bite and he was KIA. Nice little legal. On the ebb with green splatterback hooch & salty dawg flash. Couple prawns and sadly only 1 keeper dungy but made for a nice smorgasbord at the family dinner this eve. Gotta love the west coast, we're pretty spoiled!

Attachments

• unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 127
Fished Tunstall today from 10-2 or so, got pretty breezy in afternoon. 1 bite and he was KIA. Nice little legal. On the ebb with green splatterback hooch & salty dawg flash. Couple prawns and sadly only 1 keeper dungy but made for a nice smorgasbord at the family dinner this eve. Gotta love the west coast, we're pretty spoiled!

Round our circle we call that the "trifecta." Nice work! Fished Hole for 2 hours Saturday without a whiff. Decent prawn sets Sat and Sunday... didn't fish Sunday as the outflows made Hole lumpy.

Fished HITW Saturday and managed one keeper Chinook. Nice day out but a little chilly.

Mike

Fished HITW Saturday and managed one keeper Chinook. Nice day out but a little chilly.

Mike

What depth were you fishing? We were 100-150' on the riggers. My kicker gas line broke so I was forced to use the main. Line angles were very flat in the current so I'm assuming we were down not much more than 50-100'. Didn't want to explore the dephts too much w the kids on board... but I suspect that's why we got skunked. Thoughts?

What depth were you fishing? We were 100-150' on the riggers. My kicker gas line broke so I was forced to use the main. Line angles were very flat in the current so I'm assuming we were down not much more than 50-100'. Didn't want to explore the dephts too much w the kids on board... but I suspect that's why we got skunked. Thoughts?
The fish was caught at 120 on the rigger in 400 foot of water. That was the only hit we had in 2 hours fishing.

Mike

Looks like the winds will keep most of us off the water this week :mad:. Hope to get out next week, thinking the Bell might be starting to heat up soon. Wait...is this a Sockeye year?

2018 lol we all are waiting patiently lol
Ahh damn....I was SO hoping it was this year....so was last year supposed to be a Sockeye run and just didn't happen? I thought I filled my freezer in 2014?

Does anyone really know when or if???
They show when not predicted and don't when they are predicted.

Does anyone really know when or if???
They show when not predicted and don't when they are predicted.

Look at the Data, they return on a 4 year cycle. Last Years Total return was 853,000. So It will probably be 4 Times better than last year but 5 Times worse than 2014.

upload_2017-2-28_20-53-11.png

Last edited:
There used to be 2 cycles of strong sockeye return up till 2005, 2006. 2005 run return was a disaster in 2009 and that initiated the Cohen inquiry. That's when DFO was flamed really badly for allowing salmon farms along sockeye migratory route. Then in 2010 the number of sockeye return was at a historic high.

Since then, we only have one strong return year and the next returning year would be 2018.

Do "reports" count if there is no fish? :-(
Had the harbour pretty much to myself for a few hours late morning/early afternoon - aside from one small shaker, nada. Was off to a good start in Jan. but lately all I've been doing is burning diesel.

Do "reports" count if there is no fish? :-(
Had the harbour pretty much to myself for a few hours late morning/early afternoon - aside from one small shaker, nada. Was off to a good start in Jan. but lately all I've been doing is burning diesel.

Just had pictures sent to me from Howe Sound local guide boat who was out all day and bonked 4 super nice Chinooks of 8 which were hooked on that boat today.

Fish are moving around a lot right now.

Hmm, well unfortunately for me I'm "one of these things are not like the others" - i.e sailboat who only does 6knts at best - so even making it to the harbour is a 1/2hr from the dock - so the harbour is all I've got for a while - hopefully they move back.

Only had three hours so stayed in the Harbour this a.m. No bait between Cap and just west of the Pink Apts but saw a fair bit of bait around the QB Marker and then quite a bit more on the Jericho side but unfortunately only ended boxing the skunk. Great break on the water regardless.

I haven't been out in a long time, so this is purely speculation from from when I fished in the winter far more. Come March I used to work the Bell Buoy and even out to the QA far more than the Harbour. I always had consistent luck on the Yamashita O83R (purple people eater) hoochy with a purple flasher off the north arm at this time of year. That is also a great west coast hoochy. I imagine you'd have a hard time finding that hoochy these days. Berrys Bait used to always recommend and sell that hoochy in the past. Always worked great off the North Arm in March and April. There is a needle fish pattern in the same colour that works well too by another hoochy manufacturer, but the needlefish version is even harder to find (very popular in Barkley in the past). Just some thoughts from my past experiences at this time of year. That said, they are where you find them on any given day. Good luck out there, and thanks for the reports guys.

looks like they make that one still

Attachments

• d4a3ea5fcba94e941453e0b90b7af868.jpg
    d4a3ea5fcba94e941453e0b90b7af868.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 134
Back