2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Most of the 20# fish I've caught look like this year's, but I definitely agree that next year's are looking big. 65-70 instead of 55 cm

Trolled from hut to roger Curtis today. Had one bite at roger Curtis on an anchovies at 60 ft
Glassy calm there til 7

Lots of action during a quick afternoon trip to roger Curtis today, 2 to the boat in the low teens followed by a pleasant slab. We were short on time so we had to leave right at the best part of the afternoon slack, but it was still a great action packed trip.
We meandered between 120-300' of water South of popham island running no bananas skinny g's and spatterback juggheads and hootchies between 70-110'
It's definitely hard to appreciate the size of a spring in the hands of a bigger guy lol
eric Chinook.jpg

Last edited:
I was out from 1-7 pm today with the 10 yr old and his pal, trying to catch the low slack. Hit then QA and saw lots on the sounder and got one at the tide line but he managed to get into the salad and unhook himself. Salad was so bad it reminded me of bass fishing back east. Nothing for us the rest of the day except for a p-cod. Got the hookup on a coyote wonder bread spoon at 120. Also came back to empty crab traps. Awesome day though with flat water

Was out yesterday from 7 - 4.
Had to dodge massive amounts of logs, chunks of wood and other stuff coming out of the river at Sandheads.
Fished south of Thrasher, good bite in the morning then it went quiet.
Lots of salad in the water, kept us busy trying to keep the gear clean.
Homeland Security spoon worked the best from 90 - 120.
Kept 2 springs, lost 1 and released some undersized.

The trip back up the south arm was even worse than in the morning with all the wood in the water. At times it seemed like there was no clear place to run.
If you are heading out on the south arm, be careful. Running over all that wood could cause lots of damage to a boat.

Was great to get out fishing and have fresh salmon on the menu.

Was blowin pretty good today out there! Brain fart and forgot to check the tide on my trip back from Lund for arriving back at the Vancouver Harbor to pull out. Loooowwwwwest tide in awhile! Timed that poorly but still got her out.

20170530_163243.jpg

And on another note; looks like one of the sailboat squatters is making it's way off the waterfront. Well at least it is part way off lol.20170530_163218.jpg

20170530_163106.jpg

Attachments

• 20170530_163243.jpg
    20170530_163243.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 41
Was blowin pretty good today out there! Brain fart and forgot to check the tide on my trip back from Lund for arriving back at the Vancouver Harbor to pull out. Loooowwwwwest tide in awhile! Timed that poorly but still got her out.

View attachment 33467

And on another note; looks like one of the sailboat squatters is making it's way off the waterfront. Well at least it is part way off lol.View attachment 33469

View attachment 33470
Funny - I saw that boat on Monday as well. There was also another sailboat further west on the rocks that didn't look too good either. How long do they let these boats sit on the docks before they haul them away? Seems like I see this pretty often.

It was also the first day in a long time that we didn't bring anything home, including crabs.

Funny - I saw that boat on Monday as well. There was also another sailboat further west on the rocks that didn't look too good either. How long do they let these boats sit on the docks before they haul them away? Seems like I see this pretty often.

It was also the first day in a long time that we didn't bring anything home, including crabs.

So what's up with the lack of crabs? We didn't get any either the other day. Commercials don't start until later in the year, I thought. Used to be that we could fill a trap and most would be with keepers until at least when the commies opened.

....There was also another sailboat further west on the rocks that didn't look too good either. How long do they let these boats sit on the docks before they haul them away?
The city has to make an effort to contact the owners most of whom have done a bunk/had a phony address on the registration to start with.

I found out the other day that the Coast Guard is quite proactive in terms of emptying fuel tanks on these hulks so as to prevent pollution issues-since that's the case and the hulk isn't a hazard to navigation it'll sit for weeks & weeks before being hauled away.

So what's up with the lack of crabs? We didn't get any either the other day. Commercials don't start until later in the year, I thought. Used to be that we could fill a trap and most would be with keepers until at least when the commies opened.
Well you may wanna check the Gypsy Drifters' cooler..Saw him making his rounds coming from Spanish Banks crabbing area and heading towards the sand heads when I drove through the bay. Boat full of people with them to account for a full boat of crab from everyone's pots. "Allegedly"

I heard from the fuel dock that he charters the boat. Takes families out for the "Canadian experience". I wonder if he's licensed for that?
If he is truly poaching peoples traps, then being a registered, licensed "charter" business would be a great way to write off expenses while he wonders around the harbor with his friends and family on board helping him fill the cooler. "allegedly"

Whoa, go easy with that stuff...it hasn't been made legal yet. ;):cool:

We struggled on Monday to keep the gear clean also. At least that brown goop isn't as bad recently, not as much buildup on the lines.

Weed is the only thing that DOES make an un-fishable day fishible for me and my crew. Going to Gali or Gabri this weekend any recent news would be cool cheers.

How's the debris in the arms of the rivers lately?
It was not too bad last Saturday but I'm thinking it is onlg getting worse.
Messing up the QA??
Might go tomorrow but wondering if it worth the chance with all the chit that could be there

A Streamflow Advisory has been issued for the Fraser River. High water is washing a lot of debris down the river,
sounds like this will last for several more days.
It was really bad with logs, branches and stuff last Monday, sounds like it hasn't improved.
We were on the south arm, the stuff was spread out from Sandheads all the way up past the BC Ferries work dock.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-...issued-for-fraser-river-as-water-levels-swell

Last edited:
Back