2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Wind report looks ok for awhile today but then gonna blow up in some areas. Check wind directions from the areas you wanna fish then tuck in behind islands to block it. Tomorrow gonna blow hard in a few spots with gale warnings. For the first part of today you may be ok tucked in behind Gambier and Hut until the winds pick up later from the north and nw. Heads up the wind report has changed three times since yesterday so check it often.
Much appreciated. Just south of Bowen between Cowan Pt and Roger Curtis.... not too bad but making my way to Tunstall.

One twenty plus # in the box @ Curtis. 4" spoon at 130'

Fished Curtis to Gowan 7:00 to 10:00. Was quiet except for a double header of legal fish at 8:30. 60' and 85' on spoons. Was able to land them both solo which was fun. Released one hoping to get a bigger fish but couldn't find them again! Lots of boats out there today. Stayed away from the pack.

On Saturday fished Thrasher for a few hours with the fleet without a nibble. Then fished shallow in front of Grande for two hours and caught three keepers on green/glow spoons and came back across with barely any waves.

On Saturday fished Thrasher for a few hours with the fleet without a nibble. Then fished shallow in front of Grande for two hours and caught three keepers on green/glow spoons and came back across with barely any waves.
Well done Red Monster!
We are fishing out of Silva Bay for a few days, not sure where Grande is. Could you point me in the right direction, thanks.
Will post a report tomorrow.

Well done Red Monster!
We are fishing out of Silva Bay for a few days, not sure where Grande is. Could you point me in the right direction, thanks.
Will post a report tomorrow.

Head out of Silva the towards Entrance. It's basically on the left about 2 minutes. Fish inshore---offshore....offshore has been best

When you come out of Silva Bay on the Nanaimo side, head out to around 200' of water and start trolling. Grande was an old hotel facing the sea on the first bluff as you come out of Silva Bay. Good luck.

Stopped on run back from sechelt this eve to tack down south side of Bowen. Hit a nice one around 20# down 127 in 350' of water on a chovy. Great weekend, great weather, and a nice end to the trip!
(White spring, stomach full of large herring.)

Edit: had fuel issues on run back, raycor wasn't filling and eventually decided to run direct from Jerry can to get home from Bowen. Once on the Jerry no issues whatsoever. Any help would be appreciated. I assume there's a blockage somewhere. 2015 90hp Merc, built in 32 gallon tank, and no, wasn't out of fuel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Stopped on run back from sechelt this eve to tack down south side of Bowen. Hit a nice one around 20# down 127 in 350' of water on a chovy. Great weekend, great weather, and a nice end to the trip!

Edit: had fuel issues on run back, raycor wasn't filling and eventually decided to run direct from Jerry can to get home from Bowen. Once on the Jerry no issues whatsoever. Any help would be appreciated. I assume there's a blockage somewhere. 2015 90hp Merc, built in 32 gallon tank, and no, wasn't out of fuel.
Possible O ring leak on the Racor filter ..

Sometimes the check valve barb fitting at the tank causes problems. Or a suction leak before the racor. I E cracked fitting or hose. Good luck

In was out with my ten year old son yesterday, but wasn't able to motivate him to get up in the morning early after hitting Blackcomb the day before, for the last day of boarding for the season. First time out this season and everything still worked! We were on the water at noon and saw one guy get one at the Q.A. but that was all we saw in the pm. Brought a few crabs home though.

Yup. Raycor O-Ring fitting. Or hose issue from tank-engine or anywhere in between and it's sucking air. Unless tube broke off inside the tank which I have seen before.

IMG_0482.JPG Left Silva bay about 9 fished the reef played seven fish in 45 minutes keeping two ling and one rock fish. Moved over towards Grande and picked one spring at 90' in 140' of water. Trolled for another hour with no luck. Went to 115' in 125' of water and hooked up another. Two fish in 3 1/2 hours not bad, but we will try off shore if the wind will allow before we go home Thursday.

Anyone out locally yesterday/today? Going to head out this afternoon. Not sure where yet, most likely QA...

Had my engine lose half it's power right in the middle of the straight on the weekend. The problem isn't an expensive one, but just made me realize how important it is to have a second source of power. My main was still able to putt at 8-10 knots, so took me 3 hours to get back to port moody, bug if it had died completely, i would've had to use the kicker at 3-5 knots, which wouldn't have been fun.
Luckily, conditions were favorable, and i think all in all i was very lucky nothing worse happened.
It's a strange feeling when you lose power smack dead center of the georgia straight, quite eerie. (issue was boost sensor failed and wasn't engaging the turbo)
TLDR: perform maintenance on electrical instruments as well as mechanical components of your engines. Although the fix may be cheap, effects could be devastative.

Report side of things: Thrasher on the weekend was slow. Boxed 2 good ones, and had a few bites. I was trolling along, look at the port rod, starboard rod, back to port, and the pin was popped, but when i reeled and went to set, no weight was there. This happened twice.
Both fish on spackleback hootchies at 155ft in 600-800ft of water. Algae was the worst i had experienced. Had to hand bomb the first fish the last 30 feet.

Back