2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Any info as what - where is little Beale, inside has not been nice for us. 4 hrs at the Rats nose nothing to show, except sore legs/knees, lumpy. Hoping things pick up.....................

between Beale and Whittlestone , in tight , 30-90 water
sure theve moved by now , changes day ta day

tough sleddin for most
hang in there

fd

Hard to believe the fishing is so bad you couldn't find any on Rats Nose DMB? I have only ever limited out there and at anytime of year. Did you move around a bit? Anchored? Reports like that worry me a little? I will be out in the area toward the end of aug. I kind of rely on the banks as the only other for sure in life along with death and taxes? If I go to La Perouse and get skunked I would be forced to question my whole reality :(

Yep everybody knows there are no fish in Barkley this year . See you all out on the grounds starting tomorrow!

I am in the Barkley Sound at the present time. Got here 2 days ago. Not that many boat for that time of the year, But the fishing has been picking up BIG TIME ... Last 3 days has seen LOTS of nice Chinooks in the upper 20's, Cohos in the 10 lbs range caught inside the Sound and on the Banks.... Everyone is coming back with fish , the cleaning tables are finally busy...
I've limited out yesterday... 18 boats circling the meat hole 2 days ago... How's that for a change ???
Just lovin'it.... They're finally back !!!

Thanks for the reports. I'm in the line up for the ferry. Taking my pops for his first fishing trip to Banfield. Usually stay at the beam but staying at McKay this weekend. Will report of course

Hi,Strike Zone. Any places in the Sound in particular. Got family across from Europe and taking them down the inlet for a bit of sight seeing and want to wet a line for a couple of hours.
Thanks

Hi,Strike Zone. Any places in the Sound in particular. Got family across from Europe and taking them down the inlet for a bit of sight seeing and want to wet a line for a couple of hours.
Thanks

I was hitting springs at Kirby last weekend and springs/lings off shore south of Beale .but that was last weekend..

Thanks
Don't know where you will be staying, but assuming you'll be in Bamfield, if you're limited in fishing time, your best bet would certainly be "The Wall". Things have slowed down this morning, but the good people at Poett Nook were coming back with one or 2 fish.... I`ve got a 17 lbs , but going back fishing this evening... The hot spot today was Pill Point, around 8:00AM ... Bite was on for a while, lots of nets flying everywhere.... (No, I wasn`t there )

That being said, in my point of view, this is the first large movement of fish in the Barkley Sound this year, and hopefully many more to come... I`m back home tomorrow, will let you know how things go....

Just got back from 2 days of fishing in Barkley Sound. Stayed in Rainy Bay, so tried Pill Tuesday a.m. - no luck. Moved to Harbour Entrance where we managed 2 springs - 1 under 10, and one about 20. Many, many shakers in the area. Moved to Swale around 11, hit one in the high teens, and lost one niece fish there. Yesterday, we went back to Harbour entrance, just shakers. Tried Austin, one around 10. Moved to Swale at noon and hit a screamer - took out over 150 yds of line - crazy fast fish. Spit the coho killer 5 feet from the boat. Dropped the gear again and hit another in less than 2 minutes. Another screamer, but not as long a run. Landed a spring about 20#'s. We tried anchovie, hootchies and the green spatterback coho killer. Every fish lost and landed was on the beat up green coho killer. Had to rebend it a few times. 6 ft leader, red flasher with yellow stripe - 39'. Go get em!
Stosh

Last edited:
Pretty slow for this time of year. We did find some quality fish but it took a lot of hrs and mixing up a lot of gear. There are fish inside, but not in the #'s that you would expect for this tie of year. Fleming, Diplock Pill, we had most success on anchovies and spoons with orange. There are bait balls of what look like shad out around Beale, the black rockfish were puking them out as they stole our anchovies. Weird, maybe that's a warm water thing?

Totally agree with gamechanger ... This morning was kindda slow , tried Pill , Diplock, and trolled down from Ellis to Nanath, without success.... Few fish being caught at Flemming, north side, around middle of the island...

I can only talk as for what Ive seen and heard, but things has slowed down quite a bit from the last few days...
Hoping to see another run passing by very soon. I'm out till next week. Good luck to all.

As i was ready to hit the road (which is "fair", lots of washboard) back to Port, boats came back from Flemming.... One of them had 5 fish in the 20's .... I guess I picked the wrong spot this morning.... Oh well, better luck next time :(

Just got back from 4 days in Bamfeild. salmon was slow inside and very short bite right on slack. we got a couple around 20lbs, lots of shakers and a few nice coho in the low teens by Beal and on the back side of Fleming. got some ling over by seabird rocks. went out to 7 mile for hali and threw every thing I had down there with nothing. not even a nibble. my friends were sea sick so couldn't get out to the bank or rats nose. I get the salmon slow, no idea why. BUT.... who wants to share a few honey holes so a guy can get some better ling and where are the hali? I want to go back for last week of August. then going to do the tuna run on september. trying to learn an area, love the Bamfeild area but struggling to find the sweet spots. any and all intel very much appreciated.

Just got back from 4 days in Bamfeild. salmon was slow inside and very short bite right on slack. we got a couple around 20lbs, lots of shakers and a few nice coho in the low teens by Beal and on the back side of Fleming. got some ling over by seabird rocks. went out to 7 mile for hali and threw every thing I had down there with nothing. not even a nibble. my friends were sea sick so couldn't get out to the bank or rats nose. I get the salmon slow, no idea why. BUT.... who wants to share a few honey holes so a guy can get some better ling and where are the hali? I want to go back for last week of August. then going to do the tuna run on september. trying to learn an area, love the Bamfeild area but struggling to find the sweet spots. any and all intel very much appreciated.

Maybe you should offer to take one of us out on a days fishing to get a Hali hole .... been fishing 25 years up there and the spots I was given on the forums were already known and it was hit and miss , you might want to team up to get a few really good spots ..... Good luck ! I'm avail in Sept hahaha ( I'll be up there any way week of the 12th)

It's go time... all the people who have been whining now is the time to get out there... small spoons and anchovies with long leaders was working really well on the weekend. I'd post pics but I can't from my phone for some reason. We came home with 3 in the mid 20's and 3 in the teens, lost a handful as well, some huge coho out there right now too

It's go time... all the people who have been whining now is the time to get out there... small spoons and anchovies with long leaders was working really well on the weekend. I'd post pics but I can't from my phone for some reason. We came home with 3 in the mid 20's and 3 in the teens, lost a handful as well, some huge coho out there right now too

I saw your pics on FB. Nice work! Glad to see they are filtering in now

Back