2016 bait found in fish

Gamechanger - I believe those are again some variety of juvenile rockfish or deepwater pacific ocean perch.

Agreed, that is definitely a juvenile rockfish.

I'll bite on agentaqua... that is a pacific sandfish with the herring in your picture.

Agreed, that is definitely a juvenile rockfish. I'll bite on agentaqua... that is a pacific sandfish with the herring in your picture.
Well done Bugs! Wish I had prizes to give-out. Guess the best I can do is a "like" - and maybe another challenge:HPIM1472.JPG

I have certainly mooched around a lot with live shiners as bait for rockfish/ling over the years but never had a spring take one. Interesting to see shiners in a springs belly as I often take a look and haven't ever seen that before.

We fished Sangster last weekend and were on the hook using live bait. We did ok with herring but I kind of wish we had shiners. Of the Three nice mid teens fish only one had a herring (and we think it was stripped from one of our lines) the rest had shrimp and shiners.... [/ATTACH] IMG_2766.JPG IMG_2768.JPG

Just got back from Hippa - every fish was puking these Pacific Sandfish. 3.5" Silver Horde Kingfisher spoons were the best imitation.

There have been a couple mentions this year in this thread and elsewhere of folks finding "shrimp" in their Salmon stomachs. Krill (Euphausiids) are a major food source for juvenile and adult salmon and they show up pretty often, particularly in Coho stomachs. We are doing research with juvenile Chinook and we are finding true shrimp (not Euphausiids) in a few stomachs (Pasiphaea pacifica). These are shrimp that spend their whole lives in the water column unlike most familiar species. I am curious if some of the reports of shrimp observed in salmon stomachs this year could also be these pelagic shrimp rather than krill. In the attached picture the critter in the box is a euphausiid (compact, bigger eyes in proportion to body), the rest of the critters are pelagic shrimp.

Anyone seen these pelagic shrimp in stomachs this year?

Attachments

• shrimp.jpg
    shrimp.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 77
Anyone know the name of the little red lobster/shrimp type things the have stubby faces? Not sure how to describe that better, they're kind ugly... Found a bunch of them in coho stomachs last year near Port Hardy

squat lobsters are found fairly deep - deeper than Dungeness - but not quite as deep as prawns - and are bottom-dwelling...

these salmon were in a coho i caught off french creek this summer pink salmon i think

Attachments

• IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3352.JPG
    IMG_3352.JPG
    479.4 KB · Views: 78
Anyone know the name of the little red lobster/shrimp type things the have stubby faces? Not sure how to describe that better, they're kind ugly... Found a bunch of them in coho stomachs last year near Port Hardy

I have used their 'text book' name "Galathied Crab" as I used to do alot of underwater photography years ago and would search out every species I captured with my camera. They do come into shallow water where scuba divers can reach them but quite common in deeper prawn traps. "Squat Lobster" as they are commonly called, certainly is appropriate considering how they appear. Aparently they like to eat sunken wood !

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=GXHdV5jTFafP8gekk4L4CA#q=galathied+crab

I have certainly mooched around a lot with live shiners as bait for rockfish/ling over the years but never had a spring take one. Interesting to see shiners in a springs belly as I often take a look and haven't ever seen that before.

I find them in salmon more often in the winter time ( at least locally to Van.) when the salmon are feeding pretty much right on bottom. This is why a spoon in the winter that resembles a shiner shape and colour often produces well. Shiners in summer are more plentiful up in shallow reef areas and dock/pilings. This summer I found chinook often much tighter to shore and shallow locally, in part due to the plentiful anchovy schools in tight but perhaps that would also bring salmon into where there are lots of summer shiners. What is nice is salmon are opportunists and survivalists - if no herring or anchovy can be found, they will just eat what's readily available !

I understand that they're known as, "Squat Lobsters."
Thank you! I searched endlessly last year trying to find out what they were.

Looked exactly like this....
squat-lobster-2.jpg

Back