2016 bait found in fish

Sculpin

Derby suggested it. I'm just following up......

(I highly suggest folks cut open the first fish they keep to determine what they are feeding on ;).)

Last edited:
It's interesting to read that the same bait is being found from Starfish to Port Hardy.
Here is Derby's picture.IMG_4870.jpg

I/we got fish at Hyson on all of the spoons below. They are lined up from worst (top) to hottest (bottom). All fish had the juvenile rockfish? above in them. Some were still alive. The skin of the dead ones dissolves quickly. It is more gold/pink/white than silver. I've been googling and can't find many pics of juvenile rockfish. The bait balls are thick, so I'm guessing it's an abundant species like the trawlable Ocean Perch (Sebastes alutus).
The Maverick in the middle was supposed to be the thing, but it is 4.0, and 3.5 matches the bait better plus the colour isn't similar. I think the UV and glow make it work.
The last picture is of some stuff I bought or tinkered together for this weekend in Ukee. My collection of big spoons and plugs is restless. I wonder how the Area G plug fishery is going with all this small bait around. Anyone know?

IMG_4870.jpg 08092016242.jpg 08092016245.jpg

Do a Google search for juvenile sardine. Maybe that's what these little bait fish are? "Juvenile sardine" or "Scaled sardine"

Haida Gwaii is reporting small feed as well. I'd say definitely not a rockfish.
Word has it that only larger Sardines migrate this far north, but maybe with the extra-warm water the little one's came.

The ones I had in my fish in Nootka were 100% some sort of Rockfish species as they had spines on the back when I examined them closely.

Tubbers pic above is the fish in question. No clear shot of its tail really. Alls I know is the fish we got at Nootka were stuffed with them. I didn't know rockfish were so silver and sleek before they grow and turn all " Stabby."

The Goldstar spoon in the series of pics above, the fifth or sixth down looks good.

A charter captain in Ukee told us they are Sea Perch and that there has been a huge bloom of them on the WCVI.

I saw these off tofino a couple weeks ago in some fish as well.

what s a small shad look like..like I said Nate saw a pile of them in alberni inlet this year?

Juvenile_pollock.jpg

Love this thread! These are juvenile pollock. They actually change quite a bit in appearance from 2" - 4" in length as they mature. They start out as more of a perch shape and become more elongated as they get larger. Maybe this is the mystery baitfish.

Stickle backs need to be near freshwater no?

I like the pollock suggestion. Id go with that suggestion. Good one.

Hey guys. The original pic and others I have seen on and off the forum are juvy rockfish. This is a great thread as it has been an interesting year for bait with this story and anchovy in many fish in the strait of Georgia. I am in the fisheries group at UVIc and always stoked to see unusual stomach content photos. Where possible I may be able to pass on to experts for Id

IMG_2574.JPG Yeah, great idea for a thread. We were mooching off Sangster about 6 weeks ago and bagged a feisty 18lb red on a live herring. This was in his stomach - a couple anchovies and a couple shiners. Makes me want to catch some shiners and use them for live bait.

Back