2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

We'll be at Critter that week. Come on over when we're docked up and I'll be happy to tell you what i know. We'll have been there a day before to feel things out.

Boat is in my sig. Not hard to find at critter.

I just got back on Monday. Fishing is VERY good on the inside. THe usual spots , camel, 3bays , Hoiss , San Carlos. Anchovies and white hoochies where the best producers. The Outside was also fishing good if you can make it out there. The wind was really bad last week offshore.

I just got back on Monday. Fishing is VERY good on the inside. THe usual spots , camel, 3bays , Hoiss , San Carlos. Anchovies and white hoochies where the best producers. The Outside was also fishing good if you can make it out there. The wind was really bad last week offshore.

does this mean you can limit out at hoiss in a couple hours?

I have learned over the years to fish where all the boats are.
You can see Hoiss, Camel, San Carlos, the wall, etc all from the same spot. Boats congregate for a reason and the fish move day to day

Any fuel reports? Whats the going rate on the water? I'll be staying at Moutcha but running all over. Thanks in advance.

Just got home from my first trip of the year to Nootka. Stayed at Critter Cove as we have for the past eight years. We arrived last Wednesday and set up camp, then fished on Thursday. Got three springs in Tahsis Inlet and lost many that day. Friday fishing slowed to a crawl and only managed to get one small coho. Took a break to regroup on Saturday and fix my sounder and chartplotter. Things changed significantly on Sunday where we limited out on springs at Friendly Cove in under two hours, then switched to coho gear and couldn’t keep the springs off our lines. Managed to get a couple of good sized coho regardless.

Monday we went offshore and limited out on halibut and ling cod. In the evening we had two spots left on our licenses so we went across to Camel Rock and within 45 minutes we had our two springs. Turned out to be a fantastic trip.
Most successful lures were white hootchies, with bait the second best choice. We came home yesterday with limits of Chinook, Halibut and Ling Cod. Nothing big, but great just the same. Heading back up on Sunday.

Any fuel reports? Whats the going rate on the water? I'll be staying at Moutcha but running all over. Thanks in advance.

When I was up there at the end of June the fuel was the same price as in gold river. 136L if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got home from my first trip of the year to Nootka. Stayed at Critter Cove as we have for the past eight years. We arrived last Wednesday and set up camp, then fished on Thursday. Got three springs in Tahsis Inlet and lost many that day. Friday fishing slowed to a crawl and only managed to get one small coho. Took a break to regroup on Saturday and fix my sounder and chartplotter. Things changed significantly on Sunday where we limited out on springs at Friendly Cove in under two hours, then switched to coho gear and couldn’t keep the springs off our lines. Managed to get a couple of good sized coho regardless.

Monday we went offshore and limited out on halibut and ling cod. In the evening we had two spots left on our licenses so we went across to Camel Rock and within 45 minutes we had our two springs. Turned out to be a fantastic trip.
Most successful lures were white hootchies, with bait the second best choice. We came home yesterday with limits of Chinook, Halibut and Ling Cod. Nothing big, but great just the same. Heading back up on Sunday.
Great report Hud

Thanks for the report!

Hello
The fish are stacked up in what we call the middle sections of both Nootka & Esperanza. If you checkout the regs. it's the areas where 1over/1under 77cm is. The fish are holding there big time. Unlikely they will move until we get rain.
Yes salmon limits are common & that most often means back to the dock by noon or sooner.
The outside laid down yesterday afternoon so Hali & ling will be thick on the dock this afternoon. Check out the Web Cam.
Yes spring size on the inside continues to be 15-25 lb. Tyees are all coming from the Hyw up near & around the "T".
Stop by the Marina tackle shop if you are around & we can pull out the charts if you would like.
Fishing does not get any better than it is right now. Just get those anchovies rolling right put it down & hold on.
FOJs

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Off to Nootka on Sunday and should be rolling into Tuta Marina around 4-5 pm. Set up camp and try to get an evening fish in. A buddy and I will be in a small 16' Prince Craft with side Consol and 40hp Yamaha. Will be different than the old 20' Aluminium but should be fun fishing inside. If you see me please don't run me over...lol I bought a new hand held VHF and will be on channel 6 going by Marsman. Will be starting at Camel, San Carlos and others. Like some posted look for boats... Had to sell the old boat and have not replaced yet.

Cheers, Rob

Marsman,

if you have the uniden hand held, you will be disappointed with its range. It has lots of power, just no antennae. If you can get an antennae on your boat, even a 4 footer, plug it into the hand held and behold the range and clarity.

Otherwise, you will find you have about a 1 mile range at best.

Been there, done that. If a radio is important, this is the fix.

Drewski

I bought the Icom M92D. From what I read and was told it is a very good radio. It has a built in GPS and I get a new MI number. Better safe that sorry. Bought it at Steveston Marine.

Cheers

Just back from Nootka a couple of hours ago with my now excellent running 300 Yammi. The trip was as much about where fish aren't as where they are and if you are on a fast 2 day trip like I was you make some choices that could have been better. Hit Coopte point about 11 am on wed and of course at that time looked pretty dead, very weedy. I dredged out a weighed 25 lber using an anchovy -7ft above my version of a Rolly blade flasher for a dummy. If you are not a tinkerer like SeaFever-don't bother and use a Kone zone-pm if you really need to know. We tried canal and Strange Island, salter point. Pretty windy -did Dollies cove(Santa Gertrudis) -even had a look at the monument but very slim. Over to Burdwood for the evening-some coho some smaller springs-felt like it had been a good morning bite judging by the boats. First light beautiful water-Bajo reef-water was quite brown-I knew we were in trouble when only 8 boats showed out of the hundreds inside-never seen it so dead. Bit the bullet and headed to Escalante point-Nada-got smart and went to Burdwood-obviously had been a good morning bite-which we had missed-still we got some coho and enough Spring action to try at dark. WEEDY-tough fishing-still we did okay I was pretty confident if we hit it early next morning -I had the depths and the contours so we'd do OK. 04.30 raining, fog- radar across-in the water by 5.15 -38 ft, 7ft leader behind an onion skin flasher-4 for 4-we were on the way home at 7. hoiss san carlos sound good-I wouldn't do the trip to Bajo for salmon unless I heard something. Bites are short but if you persevere after the odd one comes. By the way-anchovy took 90% of our fish-coho killer in green and white was a poor second. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back