esperanza inlet 2023

kermit

Hi there. I have the opportunity to fish esperanza inlet summer of 2023. Either july or august, I would like to hear from some folks who fish their frequently. What would your choice of timing be? Salmon, halibut and lings the target species. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi there. I have the opportunity to fish esperanza inlet summer of 2023. Either july or august, I would like to hear from some folks who fish their frequently. What would your choice of timing be? Salmon, halibut and lings the target species. Thanks a lot in advance.
Anytime the westerly winds aren’t howling

There is great fishing in Esperanza from June to the end of August. Late June to Mid July has some of the best fishing of the year, there are lots of fish going by, and often the biggest fish of the year. You do not usually have fish at Rosa and other inside spots, and the weather can be more unpredictable. Once you get into Mid Luly fish start arriving inside, the beaches are still producing and starting July 15th you can go offshore for 1 salmon (max 80cm). We rarely go offshore for them any ,more, there are lots of good spots close by. August has the peak of the Canuma fish coming into the Inlet, there are still other runs going by, and offshore opens for 2 per day. We offer bring your own boat accommodations and meal packages and are taking 2023 reservations now. We are located close to the fishing grounds (less than 10 minutes from Rosa) so avoid the run from Tahsis or Zabellos at Port Eliza.

Last edited:
I think June/July is harder fishing generally, you might get a little less fish but bigger. August is nice fishing on the inside, more coho in August.

Sorry for the dumb question but what area is considered inside when fishing Esperanza? I had the pleasure of working out in Port Eliza years ago ,awesome place but have never fished there, at least not yet, it’s on my bucket list. I have fished the Nootka side for the last 12 years. Thanks, Don

Sorry for the dumb question but what area is considered inside when fishing Esperanza? I had the pleasure of working out in Port Eliza years ago ,awesome place but have never fished there, at least not yet, it’s on my bucket list. I have fished the Nootka side for the last 12 years. Thanks, Don
"Inside" refers to inside the inlet, so kind of starts at Double Island, Rosa, all the way in to Steamer point which will be the inside fishing boundary as of July 15th.

I think June/July is harder fishing generally, you might get a little less fish but bigger. August is nice fishing on the inside, more coho in August.
I'd have to disagree a bit, the 2nd half of June Early July often has the most fish, and there is usually a run of big ones. Guys now are having 20 or more fish days, multiple double headers. It is on fire, and not just at one spot, at multiple spots. We haven't seen many big ones this year though. Weather is usually a bit more iffy early on, but this year it has been unusually calm. We are now in a stretch of 6 days with calm seas. We have a 16 foot boat in the lodge right now that is getting out for halibut!

I'd have to disagree a bit, the 2nd half of June Early July often has the most fish, and there is usually a run of big ones. Guys now are having 20 or more fish days, multiple double headers. It is on fire, and not just at one spot, at multiple spots. We haven't seen many big ones this year though. Weather is usually a bit more iffy early on, but this year it has been unusually calm. We are now in a stretch of 6 days with calm seas. We have a 16 foot boat in the lodge right now that is getting out for halibut!
You're way more in tune with that area. I've been a total of 5 times. I'll take your word for it.
If you had to pick one day, only one. What is the best time to go?

July 4th!
….@%-/&$ , dang…..i started fishing the 6th…… Tofino was a hoot on the 4th.

been fishing Espy on and off from May to September for…..27 years, first week of August….or some nice flood tides on the surfline rocks in fishable light in and around late July / early August….

Back