2015 Nanoose Bay / French Creek

Started to go to french creek marina wednesday morning but caught a flat tire in the driveway instead. Tried again this a.m....fished the hump and had lots of action but an empty cooler. Released 3 shakers, lost 1 coho, released 1 good size wild coho, released 1 just undersize chinook. Green onion glow flasher or race car glow flasher with green/white glow spoon or silver/mauve glow spoon around 125 ft got all the action. One little bait mark with lots of randoms marks at various depths as you trolled.

My first time out for a while. Fished French Creek early am. One 15# spring just about 6:30 am using a green/red/cream coloured spoon with a green/blue/silver flasher, 2.6mph, 180' in 250' of water. Also caught and released one wild coho on same rig fishing at 200'. Great day!

Yes. it probably is an army truck pattern now that you mention it. It was a Coyote brand if that helps. The only lure I can remember the name of is the "turd" hootchie for obvious reasons. I just try to describe it as best I can. Cheers.

Fished low tide at french creek hump this morning. Rigger broke (switch) so had to use dippsy diver and one rigger. Two shakers released caught on dippsy with small green flasher and white hoochie. Few other taps but nothing off clip. Lots of random marks but no bait balls at all.

Launched in FC yesterday afternoon and put in a good effort at Sangster. Made a couple of passes at the south end and released 6 or 7 pinks and 2 coho. I trolled around the east reef and trolled the north side of the island with a few more bites, a few more pinks and three undersize chinook. I tried depths from 70 - 140 and fished 4 and 5 inch spoons, hoochies and anchovies. Lots of action but no chinook or good looking bites. Any suggestions, depth/gear, for finding a chinook over there? I know there hasn't been too many around. Great afternoon/evening on the water either way.

I don't know if this is helpful or not but, a couple of weeks ago around Gabriola, we caught two nice Chinooks around 18 lbs on Coho Killers when cut plug, strip and larger spoons did nothing. When we checked stomach contents all of the bait was 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. I have heard from others that they have noticed that the herring are very small for this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today was hot for pinks. It got a little tiring reeling the little guys in, just kidding. I'm not a big fan of pinks personally but my dog likes them. Not a spring in sight for me.

Having fished for every species of salmon on the west coast except for pinks I would love to know the best way to fish them. I have two grandkids, 3 and 6 who are just starting to fish. Would be nice to get them into a school of pinks. Thanks in advance.

Having fished for every species of salmon on the west coast except for pinks I would love to know the best way to fish them. I have two grandkids, 3 and 6 who are just starting to fish. Would be nice to get them into a school of pinks. Thanks in advance.

If they are around just get out there and put your lines down 40-90' Start with small pink mini hootchies. If slow try a medium hot pink hootchie and go a bit shallower or deeper if needed. Once found change all gear to same as well as depth to stay on them. I like to troll a third really shallow on the surface if you can get three lines down.

And once they start really schooling just get the casting rods out with any pink buzz bomb, zinger or similiar and you will have a great time!

Fished FC today from about 10-3, pinks everywhere,released all, hit them from 80-200, nothing else, fishing spoon on one side hoochie on the other

Out fishing yesterday from 1:30 pm until 8:30 pm. High slack was at 5:30 pm.

First stop:- Ballenas Island.....got there and spent about a half hour touring around looking for baitballs and fish. Zero baitballs and almost no fish marked. Fished anyway.
Caught 2 Pinks out in about 500 ft deep at 170ft lure depth. Used Cop Car Skinny G.
Fished for quite awhile longer...........no further hits , no fish.

Second stop:- Gerald Islet....Trolled around Islet for quite awhile. No baitballs......very few fish marked. No fish caught.

Third stop:- Winchelsea Island.......trolled for awhile, marking almost nothing. Went to jigging for awhile near reefs.....not much happening except a couple of bottomfish.

Went to using deep Sixes with spoons....tight in in shallow water. Caught a few shakers, undersize etc.

Marked very few fish except for much later when there was the odd bigger one here and there in close to reefs/rocks .Tried jigging for those but they weren't interested in anything we presented. Saw a few surface baitballs around 7:15 pm.. Worked those for a while...caught a few shakers but nothing substantial.

Marked very few anything anywhere. And when I did mark a number of fish (whatever species they were). they were down deep.

At Ballenas they were down 420ft in 440ft of water. At Winchelsea, some were down 275ft in 280ft of water , hiding in crevices etc. On neither account did they appear to be larger fish.

Water surface temp was 66 degrees F. Couple weeks back it was 71 degrees F.
But that's surface......it cools off pretty quick when you descend.

Fished low to high tide 1:00 to 5:00 pm. Many random marks all over and only two small bait marks. Released 3 shakers, lost 3 coho near boat, landed/released 1 wild coho, few hits/gone, landed 3 kept 2 pinks. Ranges around 70/90/127/150/166 ft with green onion glow flasher with glow green/cream spoon and/ or white glow hoochie ( didnt try any thing else these worked)

Fished French Creek today.

Started 1:30 p.m.

1 13lb Chinook:- water 170ft deep.....lure 165ft. 3 1/2 inch custom painted Cop Car CJ spoon....6ft behind green/silver/glow flasher. @ 4:40 pm.

3 Pinks........170ft down in 170ft of water and deeper. 3 inch Kermit/glow spoons.

Quite a few dinker-binkers no matter what depth.

Pretty quiet other than that. No baitballs. Lots of small fish from 70ft deep on up to surface.

Low slack was 1:40 pm.

Lots of boats out there........never saw any nets come out.

Got the Chinook when we had a Pink on and the other lure and line were just hanging there in the water because the boat was stopped.

That is interesting Seafever. This year I was fighting a 16lb spring and had stopped the boat, while the other line hung straight down 180 feet. I was half way bringing the one fish and hooked a 24 1/2 lber on the vertical line. It has been my best fish so far this year lol. It was a solo trip, and made for some interesting times. good memories.

Just back from a couple of weeks on the Sunshine Coast, fished Sangster and Epsom Pt. Pinks were everywhere at times, didn't seem to matter depth, speed, lure. And then followed by feeder springs in the zillions despite changing lures, depths and speeds. Plenty of action but not necessarily of the type I was hoping for.

fished low to high tide at french creek hump this am. Lots of marks, some bait balls, lots of weeds. Only one hit and loss after a short fight at 117 ft with race car glow flasher and silver spoon. Tried evevrything in the box but no takers, too much food around?? Did I mention weeds!

Back