2014 IPHC Interim Meeting

I feel for SI and those crap salmon regs. It's unfair especially considering on the amount of fish you seem to intercept from the run is minimal compared to other forms of fishing (commercial etc). That's bogus and ill be the first to agree to that, as I hear of all the fish that must be let go down there from my bud Steve on fb all summer lol

Lots of fun infighting to come. Here's to hoping cool heads prevail and they don't take the good strides made during the 2013 season and flip them on their head resulting in a short 2014 season.

February - December should be the season with whatever daily, annual and size limits are required to get us there. With 250,000 pounds left in the water it appears we can increase the maximum size maybe up to 75 pounds? Assuming the same TAC (which is unlikely).

I wonder how much 1 trophy per year would really use up. For joe angler in his own boat with friends it wouldn't be much but Serengethi's boat would probably take 20 or more "trophy's" per year and add in all the other guides/lodges who fish the big fish holes and it could quickly get out of hand.

If you are aloud 1 trophy per year I hope they also say only 1 per boat. 4 guys don't all need 100 pounders on the same day they can share the catch. Just my opinion I'm very happy with 20-30 pounders.

One shouldn't forget that sporties are not subsistence hunters anymore but fish for fun and a chance of a trophy. Take that trophy away and what excitement does that leave us? In all those years I never caught a hali over 100# but I hope I will one day. And I hope I don't have to let it go with a stainless leader and two hooks in her guts. That's what keeps me going out there.

One shouldn't forget that sporties are not subsistence hunters anymore but fish for fun and a chance of a trophy. Take that trophy away and what excitement does that leave us? In all those years I never caught a hali over 100# but I hope I will one day. And I hope I don't have to let it go with a stainless leader and two hooks in her guts. That's what keeps me going out there.

I dont think this is true. Most of my fishing trips where planned with getting fish for the table/freezer. The fun part of fishing is the bonus. Not the other way around. There are tons of rich or retired guys out there fishing everyday for the 'sport' aspect but there are still alot of us who do it for the food.

Its your choice to buy the stainless hooks. I would rather have to buy new hooks every few trips out then have to send one back down with stainless gear in its mouth/gut. Stainless hali hooks are easier to find as most places like trotac cater to the commies who just want the hooks to last and dont have to throw back the big ones. when you find old radiant salmon gear alot of it boasts stainless hooks. Weve figured out its just not needed. Mabey if your cheap and lazy. (not saying you are, just saying)

Last edited by a moderator:
"As for the long season, well lets see we left 25% of our TAC left in the water, a total failure in my opinion so there could be a longer season."

IMHO - leaving 25% of the TAC in the water is far from a total failure but I'd be far happier if 25% of the commercial TAC was also left in the water. It's impossible to accurately estimate the combined effect of policy, changes in rec fishing behavior, variability in weather and fish stocks to come up with a system that simultaneously insures a long season and 100% of the TAC being used without going over. Being within 75% of the TAC and having a season that lasted the entire year seems pretty lucky if you ask me.

As for the idea that we're not subsistence fishing and hence would prefer a trophy, that certainly doesn't apply to me. True, I'm not subsistence fishing, but I'm after entertainment for the entire season AND I really love the quality of the fish that I can get when I catch and process the fish myself. I LOVE those high quality eaters that we can catch (both salmon and halibut) and don't feel I can get the quality I obtain recreationally on a consistent basis from commercial sources. Combine that with the relaxation and psychological benefits of being on the water and a trophy fish isn't much of a consideration.

Quote from rec fisherman I talked to from hardy area today, "Sick of spending $100 for small halibut"

Let's not forget when you were allowed as many big ones as you wanted and no annual limit we only caught 1.15 mill lbs in 2012. This should be used as a gauge...put in annual limit, only 1 large fish of the 6, I could see it being around 1million lbs. That would leave an additional 80000lbs for September onward (as we were shut down sept 9th in 2012 so must take that into consideration), which would probably last into October as from DFO documents I have suggest about 65,000lbs as an average caught in all of September, and we'd only need last 3 weeks as in 2012 got 9 days of fishing in September included into the 1.15mill lbs.

In other words, 2012, pretty average weather year, caught 1.15 mill pounds with no annual, any size for 1 of 2, which meant for local anglers as many hogs as they want. Put in an annual limit, and only 1 of 6 fish may be large for example (not saying this is my recommendation), and I think it would be fair to say 1 million pounds is a reasonable estimate for March - Sept 9th. No? Then have 80,000 left over pounds for rest of September and into October...maybe even longer.

I guess everyone has an opinion based on what works best for them. From my perspective I'd opt for a longer season if it comes down to choice between a longer season with current limits or a shorter one with one over the limit. It would be nice to have the one over but not at the risk of shutting down early. I'm not trying to convince anyone this is the answer, but it is mine for what its worth.

I guess everyone has an opinion based on what works best for them. From my perspective I'd opt for a longer season if it comes down to choice between a longer season with current limits or a shorter one with one over the limit. It would be nice to have the one over but not at the risk of shutting down early. I'm not trying to convince anyone this is the answer, but it is mine for what its worth.

That's completely respectable. I'm not saying those that hold this opinion are wrong to or anything, just that I strongly believe going off past numbers (2011, 2012, 2013) it's possible to have both.

you folks crack me up. with the preliminary biomass estimates, we will likely see another 12 day halibut season on this side of JDF, if we are lucky.

you folks crack me up. with the preliminary biomass estimates, we will likely see another 12 day halibut season on this side of JDF, if we are lucky.
Are you guys getting boned by your countrymen in Alaska?

How could we possibly have both? (A full season and big fish).

2010, 2011 AND 2012 big fish were aloud all = short season.

2013 was not a full season (1.5 months late opening) but with lots of fish left in the water it could have been a full season with no big fish in the regulations.

You can't possibly believe the 6 fish per year made that difference can you? I'm betting there are way more anglers who in 2012 took a fish Bigger then 60lbs then those who took more then 6 per year.

How about this. Make it like hunting with a limited draw for a ticket to keep a big one. Everyone doesn't get one every year but over your lifetime if you enter annually you'll get your shot at a big one.

You seem to have a need to post that comment every time this subject is under discussion up here and it does not seem to me to be overly constructive. Do you really think anglers should be happy with our 15% allocation or your 12 day opening for that matter?

As far as I know the US is still a democracy, if you don’t like your internal allocation and 12 day opening, why not get organized and engaged more in fund raising for sport fishing advocacy and engagement in the political process to change your internal halibut allocation and work on increasing your 12 day opening because it seems grossly unfair to me also, even given your population is 10 times ours and you have a smaller area of operation.

Given the large US sport fishery related industry business base to draw upon financially and population base it should be a lot easier for you than us up here, Perhaps you could even donate a little money to the volunteer organizations up here who are fighting this politically and paying for court cases which also benefits a lot of US anglers in the lower states because guess where those US Halibut anglers come to fish outside of your short opening window.

What we would really appreciate in the way of support from anglers down south would be any political pressure you can bring to put an end to the huge slaughter and waste of baby halibut in commercial bycatch in Alaskan. That would actually do a great deal for Halibut conservation and make a lot more Halibut available to anglers from both countries, not to mention grow the economies of both our coastal communities.

On the plus side you do a great job down there in salmon habitat restoration and enhancement which we appreciate and we need to do a lot more to persuade our politicians to follow your lead. We are working on it although it seems to me our politicians only really seem to notice us in the few months leading up to federal elections.

Are you guys getting boned by your countrymen in Alaska?

Alaska is boning everyone. Just take a look at the first day of the presentation. Now instead of having trawl bycatch the powers up there are pushing to have trawlers retain there halibut. That will almost wipe out the commercial fleet, part of the rec fleet and in time the entire biomass up there. It is unbelievable that in this day and age they still refuse to be accountable for what is being taken out of the water.

http://www.iphc.int/meetings/2013im/presentations/AssessmentIM2013.pdf slide 15.. 3a -15% 3b -27% 4a -34% and they want an increase in these areas and cut us wtf.

Very possible. Only allowed one large fish of 6...that will also cut down amount caught on top of the annual limit. All we really need is about 100k savings (again assuming we get same as last year which is large assumption) and you'd have both (maybe not Nov/Dec fishery but with weather and fact it is for about 0.1% of the licenses, not a huge deal!) Unlimited amounts of big fish in 2010, 11, and 12. I also have seen predictions for salmon this year and best in years, even better than last is being predicted...there's one factor gone.

Also saw another option on possible recommendations of shoulder season same regs, then 1/1 prime time. This would also add into the savings. And also result in added bookings for guides and operators to shoulder for people who only want smaller fish but more than 1.

How about this. Make it like hunting with a limited draw for a ticket to keep a big one. Everyone doesn't get one every year but over your lifetime if you enter annually you'll get your shot at a big one.

I have stayed out of this, and other then this post, I will continue to. But holy cow is that dumb

Sophia instead of jumping in with a post that is easily taken as a personal attack on ones intelligence.... How about putting a bit of thought behind your response and explain why you have a difference of opinion. You might find more people actually considering your comments when you do post.

Sophia instead of jumping in with a post that is easily taken as a personal attack on ones intelligence.... How about putting a bit of thought behind your response and explain why you have a difference of opinion. You might find more people actually considering your comments when you do post.

true enough , what an idiotic response. how about something more productive even if this idea is very stupid.

true enough , what an idiotic response. how about something more productive even if this idea is very stupid.
Good to see you wouldn't stoop to that level .lol

This place is great in the off season...

[M-b3iU-INDo] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-b3iU-INDo

Back