2014 IPHC Interim Meeting

Sounds good but do you really think the average guy knows the real issues and ramifications now and in the future by what he or she suggests. I would rather have knowledgable people dealing with these decisions, not people who just own a boat and want to fish every day.
I understand your concern, but who gets to decide who is knowledgeable and who isn't? To me this just gives an opportunity for the elitists who cling to power by making decisions behind closed doors. You know like the politicians who don't do what the voters want, but rather what the voters would want if they were as smart as them.
At the end of the day DFO will make a decision and it should be based on as much input as possible. I don't believe SFAC's or SFAB's have a mandate to screen the average fisher from DFO and hope that is not what you're suggesting.

Don't mean to be a **** disturber but how about a non resident Halibut stamp?
Proceeds going to buying quota.
People coming here on charters probably wouldn't mind paying a few more bucks.
Catch rules the same as for residents.
Is this crazy talk?

I've always liked that idea. I know personally and guests always comment on how inexpensive our licenses are for salt water fishing.

Out of state'ers already pay much more for their licences. I had some buddies from Germany here this fall and for both fresh and salt plus salmon tags they paid about $250 each for licences for 3 weeks of fishing. For that they may have taken 10 lbs of meat home each. With the max size for halibut, it already makes BC unattractive for fishing tourists. Adding more costs for tourists will drive them north or south even more so. I don't think that is a good idea.

Regarding who makes a better decision. Well, the way our democracy works is that people elect their able representatives and they will eventually form a government who makes decisions for us. We don't have a direct democracy where we all are constantly polled on each issue. You can argue if that was the better way or not. But the SFAB process works similar. Go to the meetings and elect your rep that you feel will represent you best and then they make decisions on how to best deal with DFO. If you think you can trust no one, then step up and get yourself elected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm Chris, sounds more like how individual parties pick a candidate or how candidates pick a leader.

An easier way of getting your opinion known is to contact the Minister directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this crazy talk?

There was a point in time where I thought a halibut stamp would work, but not any more. I don't think rec anglers are opposed to user fees, but they do demand that the fees go back into the perpetuation of the resource, that's called stewardship. By using the proceeds of a stamp to buy commercial quota, we would be acknowledging that the commercial sector owns the fish before it is caught, which is not the case. In actuality, the fish is a common property resource owned by all Canadians. The real problem is that less than 200 individuals get 85% of the allocation and can profit from it without ever setting foot on a boat. Meanwhile, the rest of Canadians get to ration the remaining 15%. In time of low abundance, the 15% isn't enough to maintain a normal fishery, so we are left to try and stretch what little we do get. It's like "a Christmas Carol", Scrooge gets 85% and the little Timmy's get 15%. Merry Christmas !!

I think you are taking it out of context. The current process of all rec fishers having their say through their SFAB reps and then those more in the loop persons making the final decisions on strategies is better than the general public themselves trying to influence DFO on their own.

BTW , lodge owners, guides may be fish catching experts but not issues and policy experts...most know as much or little as the average rec fisher. Most guides are to busy in their daily lives to have the time require to stay own top of all the issues and understand them well enough to be considered to serve on the SFAB boards.

I think you are taking it out of context. The current process of all rec fishers having their say through their SFAB reps and then those more in the loop persons making the final decisions on strategies is better than the general public themselves trying to influence DFO on their own.
The SFAB's are one method of getting feedback, but not the only and DFO should be aware of that. Not all people can, or will attend meetings so to discount their opinion or treat it as uninformed seem elitist to me. You don't have to belong to a political party to vote and that is a good thing. My whole point is that information is poorly disseminated and that needs to be fixed. We also need a system in this place to ensure the SFAB's are getting maximum input. I believe this is currently not the case. Why any organization that claims to represent the"Primary" fishers is reluctant to cast a wider net, totally eludes me. I believe this is not in keeping with the spirit of the terms of reference given to Sfab or c's.

Is this crazy talk?

Buying quota is the dumbest and most short sighted thing the sport sector could do. Buy 1 pound of quota from the commercial sector and we have said we accept the belief that access to this resource should continue to head down the road of " those with the most money get the access and those without the bucks will have to find something else to do".

If anyone thinks buying quota is the way to solve this allocation problem they are either uneducated on the issue, greedy and don't really give a crap as to what it would mean or they are a quota holder and would love to see the sport sector sell out future generations of sport anglers so they can kill 1 or 2 more halibut Right Now.

Guess I need to say it again. The DFO claims to use the ITQ as a management tool to better manage the resource ect. The ITQ is not a form of management at all . It is a carefully thought out system designed to benefit the big boys.

Not going to re-wright all my past posts here ( I have explained it more than once, do a search if ya need to read it agaiin), but I will not allow any suggestion of buying quota to go UN-challenged.

Topic here is IPHC and what we think of the science and the options before us as we head toward the 2014 season.

The real problem is that less than 200 individuals get 85% of the allocation and can profit from it without ever setting foot on a boat. Meanwhile, the rest of Canadians get to ration the remaining 15%. In time of low abundance, the 15% isn't enough to maintain a normal fishery, so we are left to try and stretch what little we do get. It's like "a Christmas Carol", Scrooge gets 85% and the little Timmy's get 15%. Merry Christmas !!

Now that's funny Little Timmy...lmao. The real problem is we have lost almost 50% of our TAC and now there is not enough fish to go around. There are many reasons for this. Ocean conditions and an unregulated Alaskan fleet (draggers, longliners included) in my opinion are the biggest culprits.

Your idea has merit. I see that Alaska just went on a catch sharing plan very similar to ours here. They have also moved to where guides can lease commercial quota if they want their guests to take home more than the current levels of harvest allow. Don't let posters try to jam their opinion down your throat.... remember opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one..... even me.

Just like to point out that 1/2 shoulder is no limit on first fish and 83cm on second fish. Not sure where you got the 126cm but it's not in there.

As for the rest I have no problem with that and tend to agree with you.
This slot thing while clearly having an effect on the TAC we catch is not working for me.
Lets keep it simple and enforceable.
Lets not make poachers out of anglers that have trouble measuring a large halibut.
GLG

You're right !!! Shoulder season is 1/2 no size limit 2nd fish. This seems like a no brainer to me.

Back