2014 Fall /Winter and 2015 Spring boat projects

Installed an awesome TW9000 electric winch. Can't wait to go use it. Had Ocean Metal here in Courtenay build me the custom SS mount for it to go on

image.jpg

Looks great. Can't wait to see the new matching black beauty next to your kicker. It will be nice to see the finished product when your done :).

I just replaced the carpeted plywood at the transom with 1/8 diamond plate. Wife's comment that will be hotter than the carpet in the sun. Looks good, and fish scales will not be stuck so noticeably. Put door on each side instead of removable panels.

I just replaced the carpeted plywood at the transom with 1/8 diamond plate. Wife's comment that will be hotter than the carpet in the sun. Looks good, and fish scales will not be stuck so noticeably. Put door on each side instead of removable panels.

We need pics.............

It's a start.........

New bow rails tacked in place.

I'm posting this one to show how hard it is to get a compound curve/bend. The starboard side needs to get tucked in closer to the cabin.

The original bow rails were right in your line of vision while driving. I got used to it over time but it was annoying. These new rails will allow someone to fish safely off the bow of the boat. I have one or two buddies that will be up there every time we go for halibut etc. I can't wait to get the dead bait jig thing going tuna fishing. It will be used all the time then :). I'm putting non skid on the gunnels along side the cabin windows and adding some handrails on the cabin roof.

There are some mid posts to be installed and a toe rail as well.

More to follow.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Sculpin. I love seeing all of your mods. Everything on your boat is so well laid out. I love the flexibility of aluminum. Makes customizing so much easier. Does that prawn trap holder double as a cleaning table?

Ya I like the high bow rails you will be able to hold the boat at the dock from the bow really easy with those rails. Nice job!

Ya I like the high bow rails you will be able to hold the boat at the dock from the bow really easy with those rails. Nice job!
I was looking at it more as I'll be able to safely stand up there now and toss swim baits at tuna and not hear the Carly Ray blasting away LOL :)

Looking Good Man, As Always

New rack and radar this year just fooling around tonight and getting some designs ready..... Will be mounting on a hard top with flanged welded base and tubing..... Options open this is basic design with sheet metal flanged mounts for flood lights... Last top view shows radar location and size see there is some room on roof..

Capture mount1.JPGCapture rack3.jpgCapture rack4.JPG

Looks like I have to put dome up about 6-7 inches off roof based on the beam (lines shown) so it clears roof ( flat on bottom).... I don't have mount on there but that is looking forward.... Not bad height....

radar profile.JPG

I wanted to stack traps on roof but may not enough room.... I just found this also after I posted I like this idea on light with a swivel below... Design above locks the light in position..Not sure like idea....

light.JPG

Today i start prepping for a motor swap. Toning things down a bit by changing out my Merc 115 for an 85hp of the same make. I'm way over powered with the big motor. Enough prop torque that I heel over to the port side under full throttle. It spooks the GF so has to be done. Not to mention I'm saving about 60lbs of weight hanging off the arse and my fuel consumption should improve a bit. I thought about trim tabs but will save those (and the 115) for the other boat I'm building.

Nice Clint, you just made me smile cause I am in the middle of going the other route. Going from a 90 yamaha to a brand new 115 Mercury Comand Trust on a 16ft boat. I am in the process of rewiring my boat. And installing an Itroll trolling system while I am at it. The wiring will be really close to completion today unfortunately the stores are closed due to family day or it would have been complete. New motor comes from the mainland early this week and should be on the water before the weekend.

SV I know you don't have to large of a boat. So I wonder if puting you rods and net etc. on the side of your boat wouldn't be better. Some times on smaller boats having the gear up top like that is a disadvantage as gear can be in the way and over hanging the fisherman when fighting the fish of a life time. Plus if and when your line breaks it can be really hard on the gear when everything collides together. Seen it happen to many times.

I thought about wiring in a spreader light on my arch but felt the few times a year I get up early enough to use them I was just tossing money down the crapper. On those occasions guys alway have head lamps. The benefit is though you got no idiot blinding you with a head lamp.

Just make sure not to angle them back too far. My roof is low at only about 5' and I never hit the rods in the rocket launcher. I can't remember exactly but 7 degrees comes to mind. I'll double check next trip to the shop and post later.

image.jpg

Thanks guys you can see right now...It is smaller so I don't want the rods to angled..This wouldn't be that good.... Needs less angles and move forward.....

boat2.JPG

boat3.JPG

Back