2014 District of North Vancouver Firefighters Fishing Derby

Disappointing this year.
Got on to the dock at 2:06pm, long line of boats waiting to dock and we rafted on the outside.
Up to weigh fish in before 2:15. Told weigh in is over, rules are clear, we waited 15 minutes and your over 1/2 hour late, "rules are clear".
So not allowed to weigh in fish.

I have no idea what time weigh in is except the 2pm on the ticket and website, and if there are rules they aren't on my ticket or the website that I can see.

Shouldn't this be about participation?

Was chocked in particular because my son was very disappointed, so didn't stick around to buy raffle tickets like I did last year.
Most likely won't be back next year.

Unfortunate all around.

dont get what your saying Global ??

it did say 2 pm weigh-in ???
personally , i would have got there a little early, if i felt i had a good fish ,just sayun...
you did see how many boats were out there ! right ??
most derbys ive been in , the weigh in time , was usually the cut off time , if in doubt , ASK before hand !!
i do feel for your boy , thats to bad !!
some get to the scales sooner , perhaps when the bites off , weigh er in , get back out fishin ,
thats too bad , most guys i spoke with had a blast ,
it is more of a go out and have fun derby ,
bust sum balls, few laughs , name callin , dirt slingin ,you know,,, guy ****...
fishin is always scratchy ta say the least ,
sorry ta here ya had a bad experience , but , i truly believe the guys do an outstanding job organizing this
popular growing event , thx to all that put this together , appreciated !!
a tough go in this sheet of water fallin

winning fish just under 22 lbs i believe( White ) , quite a few weighed in too ,
most lookin pretty tired and dark...

time to get out the fuel stabilizer for most id think...

later
fd

It was announced weigh in "Starts" at 2pm on the radio during the derby today.
So pretty difficult to get in and weigh anything early.

That being said, we could have jumped the lineup of boats in front of us to get onto the dock 6 minutes earlier.
When I got back on the boat at 2:20 to leave there were 2 boats rafted to the outside of us (still tying up, adjusting bumpers) that couldn't believe we couldn't weigh fish in.

So perhaps more clarity is better, either on the ticket, or the website, or radio...

And to take the extra (less than a) minute to put a fish on a scale would have been pretty easy, I think, but sometimes it isn't.

Perhaps one of the organizers will clarify this all , i cant comment on it ,
doesnt make sense that there wouldnt be someone there weighin in fish through out the later morning ??? ,
if so , that needs to be addressed for future events, no doubt
i know if i had a hog , id wanna weigh it asap ,
again , feel bad for you and your boy , i dont think anyone did this on purpose ,
there all pretty good guys ,
all good Global , dont write it off quite yet , they appreciate ur support !!
, sure some one will chime in to clarify ,

so,,,, how big was the boys fish :) did he win..

till next year !!

fd

I asked last week about weigh in and was told "if you have a big fish come in early get it weighed and go back out fishing,otherwise you must be in the line by 2pm deadline for weigh in"

and 12.8

Weren't going to be the derby winner.

Was a good day of fishing, or as productive a day we've had in a while for springs.

2 in the boat and lost another.

id call that a pretty dam good day !!
congratz to the kid !
it wii improve every year ,
the organizers will read this and take note im sure ,
know a few of them , all great guys ..
except for one lazy old washed up fat Italian Hockey Player wanna be , uhhhummm no Passo Falso :)

fwiw ,
fish were bein weighed in at 12;30 pm on...
spoke ta one of the organizers 2 seconds ago..

fd

and 12.8

Weren't going to be the derby winner.

Was a good day of fishing, or as productive a day we've had in a while for springs.

2 in the boat and lost another.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was announced weigh in "Starts" at 2pm on the radio during the derby today.
So pretty difficult to get in and weigh anything early.

That being said, we could have jumped the lineup of boats in front of us to get onto the dock 6 minutes earlier.
When I got back on the boat at 2:20 to leave there were 2 boats rafted to the outside of us (still tying up, adjusting bumpers) that couldn't believe we couldn't weigh fish in.

So perhaps more clarity is better, either on the ticket, or the website, or radio...

And to take the extra (less than a) minute to put a fish on a scale would have been pretty easy, I think, but sometimes it isn't.

I feel for ya j-global, that's a pretty cheap move by them in my opinion. It's not like the weigh scale was busy this year.

For everyone else there is no way you can come in mid-day and weigh in a fish and go back out. Nobody is there to weigh the fish until 2:00 PM. They start at 2:00 PM and stop when the lineup of fish is done. This year I think it was less than 20 fish weighed in and a bunch were under 14lbs so you would have had a chance at a decent prize.

Definitely wasn't organized as well this year as last. For us, even though we bought tickets ( 2 for $150) our names weren't on the list for the t-shirts etc. Also our ticket stubs weren't in the draw so we didn't have a chance at any of the draw prizes. We had both our tickets on us so we did get t-shirts but come on. Not sure I'll be in this one next year.

Cheers

J-GLOBAL,

I am sorry to hear that you were unable to weigh in a fish, but I fully support the organizers decision and rationale. You also have to consider the fact that over 20 other participants had weighed in their fish, and weighing in other fish outside of the allowable time would jeopardize their opportunity at a better prize. I know for a fact that fish were being weighed in prior to 1:00,as I was helping.

Trendsetter,

I apologize for your names not being in the draw, and am glad you managed to get a shirt. If you and your partner did not get a prize, please send me a PM with your contact information and I will provide you with a prize each.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that this is a completely volunteer run event for charity. Many hard hours go into planning, organizing, several months ahead of time.

The real winners are Athletics for Kids and the Seymour Society.

I had several private messages from other forum members praising the derby, and how it was the best run year with the most prizes. If you liked the event, tell your friends. If you didn't, tell us (pm me) and we will try our best to make it right and improve next year.

Thanks

Tournament Organizers

Thank you for the response therise. We appreciate the volunteer effort and the offer of a prize but not necessary. Hopefully in future events everyone that pays to enter gets the opportunity to participate in the awards.

Last year we came in early and we weren't able to weigh in our fish until the deadline. Sounds like this year it was different, I don't know we didn't get there until 2.

Cheers

Didnt see this post before I posted my post on "young guy gets the job done" , but this guy was observed by me at the derby and FRICKEN WOW LITTLE DUDE !
Where can I get me one of them little filleting Dudes, fish is as big as he is but he's getting it done, looks like a Pro LOL

Back