2012 TUNA trips

As a guy wanting to get into this it would be great to see something set up so that I don't have to scramble through 69 pages (and counting) of info - some garbage but alot of good.

I've seen sub sections set up on other forums which may work.

BTW - What boat are you running? A weldcraft but lenght? I'm in a 22' Thunderjet and looks similar. Gives me some confidence about running offshore - all about the picking the weather.

As a guy wanting to get into this it would be great to see something set up so that I don't have to scramble through 69 pages (and counting) of info - some garbage but alot of good.

I've seen sub sections set up on other forums which may work.

BTW - What boat are you running? A weldcraft but lenght? I'm in a 22' Thunderjet and looks similar. Gives me some confidence about running offshore - all about the picking the weather.

Don't forget the Tuna talk thread as there is quite a bit of info in there as well;).

I agree with the interest and involvement there should be a dedicated tuna section of the forum. Aside from that you just have to dig deep into the threads and read all the pages. That's what I have been doing for the past 3 years or so on various forums like Bloodydecks, ifish, and Allcoast. This year it has taken off on this board and a lot of it is great information for our area etc. with more and more folks in the know posting up. I sure hope it continues and more people get involved with this fishery. It can be nerve racking the first time out but once you've done it and the weather is good, boat is maintained and ready it's like "no big deal we're going tuna fishing". I plan on getting out a lot more next year and earlier like Birdsnest suggested:).

Thats what weldcraft calls a 22 foot ocean king but its 24 feet from the nose to the outside back gunnel. the swim grid is 2 more feet and the motor another foot and a half. I do not think it deserves the name ocean king for it just isn't. While I love the open bow and I would not change it, such a configuration is not ideal for offshore. Never the less I love my boat for what it does and it fishes tuna just fine and efficiently. I gasp when I hear what some of the others with the heavy boats are burning in fuel on one of these trips. Its staggering, but its luxury i guess.
Boat013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

A little reading never hurt. You could be missing some valuable information that likely wont be included in a quick "How to Tuna Fish" post. It's a long way out that takes some planning and consideration. Sometimes a shortcut isn't always the best route. Do some reading, you wont regret it. Very little of it is "garbage". And there is only 2 threads specifically about Tuna so I don't know how much more organized you'd like it...

A little reading never hurt. You could be missing some valuable information that likely wont be included in a quick "How to Tuna Fish" post. It's a long way out that takes some planning and consideration. Sometimes a shortcut isn't always the best route. Do some reading, you wont regret it. Very little of it is "garbage". And there is only 2 threads specifically about Tuna so I don't know how much more organized you'd like it...

Didn't intend to imply that I haven't read it all - indexing to access the valuable info is another story... I don't really need 40 bookmarks to different pages. Already gleaned alot from the constructive discussions and looking forward to running out next year. A little late to be going in October I'm told? Although Tuna is a great substitute for Turkey.

Birdsnest - great looking boat. Very similar to mine although I'm jealous of the flat top from a functionality standpoint. The sloped top of the TJ makes it difficult to mount obsessive levels of electronics...

Didn't intend to imply that I haven't read it all - indexing to access the valuable info is another story... I don't really need 40 bookmarks to different pages. Already gleaned alot from the constructive discussions and looking forward to running out next year. A little late to be going in October I'm told? Although Tuna is a great substitute for Turkey.

Birdsnest - great looking boat. Very similar to mine although I'm jealous of the flat top from a functionality standpoint. The sloped top of the TJ makes it difficult to mount obsessive levels of electronics...

Thanks. On the very calm days it is nice to be on the roof sitting in a lawn chair "spotting". The boats got the "close the door and turn on the heat on thing" and its not an inboard. Love it!!! Need more rod holders tho.

The commercial guys say that Tuna fishing is best in Oct off the island. Just don't have that many days with water the way it is in Sep. Out of winter harbour it is quite close to the deep water.
Didn't intend to imply that I haven't read it all - indexing to access the valuable info is another story... I don't really need 40 bookmarks to different pages. Already gleaned alot from the constructive discussions and looking forward to running out next and.year. A little late to be going in October I'm told? Although Tuna is a great substitute for Turkey.

I know it is early to start thinking about this but the last 2 years I caught tuna on and around july 06. Hopefully some others will be thinking about tuna fishing then. There seems to be far less weeds then so it was very relaxing fishing. Think about it. Might as well start the tuna thread for next year early.Do you think the moderators would start a section on this forum for tuna only?

I got some towards the end of July this year but would definitely be willing to give it a try earlier next year. The blue water was in a bit closer in July than in mid August also. If the fish are close enough, I could do the run up from Neah Bay to Nitinat or maybe Barkley Canyon for buddy boating. I'm planning a week next year starting from the 2nd weekend to the 3 weekend in August. I'm hoping we will get a nice calm day or two in the time frame so I can do another all night trip. I picked those dates so we'll have peak meteor activity from the Perseid meteor shower (peak activity is Aug 12th). That combined with an all night outing, would make things perfect.

damage from my last tuna trip, on the way home 14 miles from shore my port motor gave up, time to by another one, some picture from the block

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 229
Hey Big Tuna Have you tried to stuff a Tuna in the hole. Terrible luck at least you were almost home.
damage from my last tuna trip, on the way home 14 miles from shore my port motor gave up, time to by another one, some picture from the block

Birdsnest, how much would you spend on gas during a tuna trip? How much did the larger boats have to spend?

Tim

Not birdy, but we burned about 60 to 65 gallons in our last outing (22NRSeahawk), 1.5hours out, 2 hours in (totalling 105 miles) , and about 9 hours of trolling (70miles). We average about 3.1mpg w the 250hp yam. Some of the bigger boats numbers are pretty daunting! At a minimum of 2.5 to 4x that amount I reckon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am guestimating I burned around 200 litres or 50 US gal's on the bamfield trip. I am more sure I burned around 165 litres on the trip to the Loudon out of Ukee a few weeks ago. Barkley Canyon trip was smoother and a longer day and the Loudon trip was rougher and a shorter day.

My hull is a lot different than most boats with only about 16 degrees at the stern with a delta planing pad to boot.

I usually do 120- 140 miles in a trip. 80 to 100 miles of running and the rest trolling. 170 to 220 liters a trip. Give or take a bit on all ends.

Last trip we made out of tofino was about 160 miles total and we burned 608 liters of fuel in the 33' pursuit with twin 250 yamies and 7 guys on board...a little more than usual but we had to go 62 miles out.

Back