2012 TUNA trips

Just got in from the Barkley Canyon. Started at 37 miles and ended up at about 51. Only found 58.5 degree water. We went 13 4 20, mostly mexican flag. Got one on anchovy in a teaser head on the Islander
A great flat calm day, lots of dolphin, whales, a shark and sunfish. We never got a Tuna until 1 pm and then about 2 1/2 hours of fun. Ossama, Slivo, and others were having about the same kind of day and spending the night. I'm not going out tommorrow but may be back out Saturday.

Great stuff Ken!

Lorne

We had a case of thawed anchovy and after being frustrated with not getting the jumpers to bite we tried chumming and fishing with anchovy and tossing swim baits. This didn't work so we went back on the troll. I think it was just a case of them not biting some times. When they did start everyone was getting fish and we had lots of doubles, triples and a quad,of whitch we got all 4. We did get one on anchovy when we stopped to get in.
I'm not an expert by any means but it's sure fun to learn!

We had a case of thawed anchovy and after being frustrated with not getting the jumpers to bite we tried chumming and fishing with anchovy and tossing swim baits. This didn't work so we went back on the troll. I think it was just a case of them not biting some times. When they did start everyone was getting fish and we had lots of doubles, triples and a quad,of whitch we got all 4. We did get one on anchovy when we stopped to get in.
I'm not an expert by any means but it's sure fun to learn!

Awesome reports Bod. Were you guy's fishing pretty close together or spread out quite a bit?

I think there was about five boats between Nitinat and Barkley Canyon and all had about the same success. Just the odd fish here and there through out the morning and then everyone was getting them in the afternoon. for the most part we could see a couple of other boats and like most fishing we got closer together when fish were found. We were all in radio contact through out the day.

I think there was about five boats between Nitinat and Barkley Canyon and all had about the same success. Just the odd fish here and there through out the morning and then everyone was getting them in the afternoon. for the most part we could see a couple of other boats and like most fishing we got closer together when fish were found. We were all in radio contact through out the day.

Sounds good man. I can't wait. I'm hopefully picking up firelight in Bamfield and heading out for the afternoon fishing. So stoked to meet some new folks and hear about their experiences!

Sounds good man. I can't wait. I'm hopefully picking up firelight in Bamfield and heading out for the afternoon fishing. So stoked to meet some new folks and hear about their experiences!

Have fun John... thanks for the invite... Cheers :)

Go getem' everyone. I am breaking the cycle and taking the weekend off. Going camping. Good luck and be safe. I cant wait to see the reports. Please take lots of photos of fish and gear...Shots like like these...
IMG_0417_zps025136d7.jpg

IMG_0334_zps38da3604.jpg

Go getem' everyone. I am breaking the cycle and taking the weekend off. Going camping. Good luck and be safe. I cant wait to see the reports. Please take lots of photos of fish and gear...Shots like like these...

IMG_0334_zps38da3604.jpg

Haha......awesome picture!!! That is just the colour of the fish I was trying to explain to my GF when she came down to meet us at Weight West when we came in on Labour Day....it certainly fades a bit after a bonk, slice, ice bath and nap on ice. :p

Are you wearing tights? :D

Pippy,

I am wearing long under wear. Handy, not handsome, or a fancy dresser.
I do not know which billy or jeff you are referring too.
IMG_0347_zpscb3c3fa5.jpg

Pippy,

I am wearing long under wear. Handy, not handsome, or a fancy dresser.
I do not know which billy or jeff you are referring too.

Hahaha.....

Another great shot; did any fresh loins hit the BBQ?!?! I can't believe how calm it was out there for you!! Very cool!

What camera do you use....is it a GoPro? I think you mentioned it in past posts/threads but I am too lazy to go digging. :eek:

Jeff Hale and Billy McGinnis. They "were" to be headed out this morning.....just thought I'd see if you were monitoring the VHF at all. I am sure I'll be getting a message in a couple of hours.

SIGH - #$#% - I won't be there this weekend... bad enough I was going to miss my son's bday party, but when I came in the house this am to say goodbye, My boy is upset because he thinks some of his friends have to be cancelled (While I hooked up boat, my wife's driving help bailed on her :( ). So family comes first.
Best wishes to all of you fishing and on the way... please post some pics... and pretend there's a guy in a blue tshirt laughing with you at the dock when you tell your stories

Oh those guys. No I did not know that they were going. I had a photographer with me on the last trip, not so much to take pictures but to fish too. He took 220 photos that day and so the quality is very good. I took some photos too. The ones with the hooks in the mouth's. Thats me. I placed the rap-x in the fishes mouth tho. That was a total setup haha. It made for a cool shot. I hate those rap-x's now. Rap x + other gear = major tangles mess(birds nest).

Ya....they were heading out this morning. Jeff had told me about Blake heading out Weds evening to fish yesterday and I understand he did well like you. Those are great shots you guys had on all parts.....I am still pissed that I took my good Canon out and snapped a pile of pics/video with it and nothing was on the card when I went to look after the fact. The pics must be out there in Loudon somewhere!! Crapola!!

Those X-raps did well for us when we were out with them down tight to the boat but we also were fishing all rods instead of handlines to keep things spread out and give a bit of clearance. In saying that though.....we did have a birdsnest or two while out there. Those "planer boards/blocks/splashers" worked pretty well....I was impressed with the "engineering" of them.

It's amazing....one "sampling" of tuna fishing out there and I am absolutely obsessed with it now like so many others have become. I CANNOT wait to get out and give er' another go! So many cool things about from "where" you are in that water....to watching the lures bouncing around.....rods getting absolutely hammered.....seeing tuna come up behind some of the clones and smash them....just such a cool fishery!

great pics

Love these photos - photoshopped to add some blue to the sky.

Attachments

• tuna 2.jpg
    tuna 2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 162
  • tuna.jpg
    tuna.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 134
Just got a report that one of the over nighters (crabby chris and Osama) slayed 37 total. NUTSO!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a report that one of the over nighters (crabby chris and Osama) slayed 37 total. NUTSO!

Un goddamned believable action out there.

Boats yesterday were between 15 - 40 tuna each.

4 boats overnighted and it was so calm we could raft and party for a couple hours.

6 boats out each day so far from out port, more coming, pretty good time for sure. Bit of a shaker going on now at my place if you can imagine, ate some fresh bellies raw and some loins a variety of different ways.

Pics and vids to come.

Jeff

Hey Boys....once you wake/sober :p up and jump on here....quick question is where did you guys go?

Back