2012 Halibut trip thread.

Sure scrapped good, had the current to run with... thought it was going to PA, almost chased after it. Glad it was on the Tyrnos 30 and not a 330 penn. That 16/0 circle hook was looking small though.:p Hats off to a few old boyz I know who have had some big ones on old Peetz reels, bucket of water to cool them off. lol

IMG_20120417_152809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished West of Otter Point yesterday. Anchored my 8AM, after a couple rat fish and a doggy we were into the halis, then a little scate! Lost more than id prefer to say, but left for home at around 12 with a 40lbs and a 12lbs. FIRST HALIS EVER!!!! YEAHYOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Attachments

• photo (23).jpg
    photo (23).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 209
  • photo (11).jpg
    photo (11).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 219
  • photo (18).jpg
    photo (18).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 223
Fished West of Otter Point yesterday. Anchored my 8AM, after a couple rat fish and a doggy we were into the halis, then a little scate! Lost more than id prefer to say, but left for home at around 12 with a 40lbs and a 12lbs. FIRST HALIS EVER!!!! YEAHYOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Congrats on your 1st hallies...just had some folks out who caught their 1st fish from the ocean and I know how stoked they were. Have not seen a skate for years, pics were appreciated

Fished from sooke yesterday. The Tides wernt looking great, but we gave it a shot anyhow:
We got the two halis both with herring, and the little guy with a purple hoochie off the trailerpark going for salmon.

O yea, picked up one wild sping off the trailerpark in 113ft on the bottom with the same purple hoochie.
Halis were pickup up around 10:30-11ish when the ebb was ending.

Attachments

• photo (12).jpg
    photo (12).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 179
  • photo (25).jpg
    photo (25).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 176
  • photo (24).jpg
    photo (24).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited by a moderator:
Was out today for a boat run and get the gear washed off.

Picked up one around 35 lbs. Would have stuck it out, but the navigator ended up doing some chumming on her own, so we headed back in after an hour. Nice day on the water.

The one we got was an escapee from the commies. I had a good hit on a salmon belly/white power grub, then 20 seconds later had a solid hook up. When I brought it to the surface, I could see the hali about 2' below the jig head.......was confused until I gaffed the butt and realized that I had hooked the quick snap.....pure sh*t house luck.....but we ended up with some nice fillets and a quick snap/leader/circle hook. Interesting to note that the eye of the circle hook was warn about 2/3 of the way through and there was some good corrosion on the shank of the hook. Would the enzymes of the hali and the salt water cause this??

Cheers

SS

Only been out a couple times scouting out new spots, but got a few nice ones, including this 100lber

May19-20Fishing006.jpg

May19-20Fishing005.jpg

and this 65 and 75

May19-20Fishing002.jpg

May19-20Fishing011.jpg

Back