2011Sooke Sockeye Run

Rockfish

From all the reports there seems to be a large run of Sockeye going through Sooke at this time with lots being caught and released without even being targeted. Word is they are easier to catch than last year even with the record run we had then. So why has DFO refused to open them to recreational angling knowing we would take only a small % of the run. I for one will be less than pleased if they do not open them to recreational anglers but do open them to the commies or the large unofficial river drift net commercial fishery. Of course if they want to do that they may wait till they are past Sooke and then open then to Sooke recreational anglers (no fish but you can go try). That way they can say they did a sport opening and then open them to commercial fishing. My view is that if the run is so small they can’t take any recreational pressure while they are actually here, they should not be open to any commercial fishing in any way, at any time, by any method.

Anyone know what DFO's JDF Sockeye test fisheries show?

Last edited by a moderator:
we were off sooke basin in 450 to 600 ft looking for pinks wednesday and were hitting and releasing nothing but socks so we came in closer to shore and found a higher concentrations of pinks. Comn DFO, give us an August long weekend gift and open up a few socks for us .. Normally i fish pinks with trebles but had to switch to small single to make sockeye release easier.

I was out with two friends on Wednesday fishing mostly near the Trap Shack - 100 to 200 feet of water. We released at least 6 sockeye for the morning and had several more on. All on hoochies (no pink) and spoons. The sockeye were large - one over 10 lb. and the rest over 7 lb. Sockeye were from 60 to 95 feet deep.

...Rob

Just called DFO Victoria and talked to a Fisheries Officer and apparently the test numbers are up and it is looking positive for an opening. Hopefully they will make the call soon.

Yeah I was out again Wednesday and myself along with 3 other boats hit a huge school of sockeye. Nice big fat 7+ pounders. I released all mine but saw a few bonked on other boats.

Either they didn't know they were sox or didn't care.

i hope they open it soon, even if it's a 2/4 limit. I'd love to bbq a sockeye for a change.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm overseas working right now, but have they opened it yet? August 1st, 2011.

If it was to open it would have by now IMO. Traditionally the first 2 weeks of August sees the highest numbers migrating through the strait. If the commi fishery doesn't open up neither will we.

BTW there is fresh food, social and ceremonial sockeye for sale down on Admirals Rd. I'm sure the band councils have ensured all those members have their allotment first before selling any to non-natives. Just like they did last year...ya right.

Called DFO Again

Called DFO again this AM and was told there is another meeting today; anyone hear the outcome? Looks like they may want to let this large run get past Sooke while opening the ??food fishery?? (drift nets and seiners). As I understand from a newspaper story a DFO's official has said they believe only 3% are actually used for food.

BTW there is fresh food, social and ceremonial sockeye for sale down on Admirals Rd. I'm sure the band councils have ensured all those members have their allotment first before selling any to non-natives. Just like they did last year...ya right.

Sign still up as we speak...past it on the way home from the Marina @ $20/fish they surely have other motives than to use them for a potlatch...sammy

Back