2010 Halibut Catch Recommendations

quote:Originally posted by Fishing Guide

Cheers Bogman,

Professionals use a technique called 'visualization' to enhance their performance. So, if a baseball player stands at the plate and says, "There is no way in hell I am going to hit the ball, chances are he is correct."

As for myself I look at the mess that is currently called "Fishing In British Columbia" including the division between Native Fisheries, Sports Fisheries and and Commercial Fisheries and all the inequities within. I prefer to say, "One day it will occur ... and I will be a part of the solution." Further I can assure you it does not involve paying commercial fisherman for part of my rights.

Sincerely,

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Fishing guide, You may be wrong in my views on the matter. My comment come from a past 35 year history in the commercial industry (10 of which were part of the political process with a seat on HAB and Pres.of the PHMA) I now run a sports lodge and would love to see it all come together by working together. I don't want to see the sports industry waste alot of valuable time by going down the wrong road to accomplish want they want. We all have our own viiews on the matter and these are my opinions. I don't expect evreyone on here to agree but I do believe I have a good handle on the political process when it comes to DFO from my past history. No one wants to pay for something you feel should be free but I believe in the end, in this matter, its what will happen.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

The one common factor that should bring us all together is that we all need more fish swimming in our waters. I think one area we all could easily work together is a public/media campaign to embarrass DFO managers into positive action. Something that benefits us all. I think natives, commercial and sporties all share this goal. Working together on one project may bring down old prejudices and we may find more common ground.

quote:Originally posted by richmake

Some of you guy's are way off on this one....
Remember as a commercial vessel charter operators simply provide a platform for regular recreational licence holders to enjoy an opportunity to use there (sic) licence per say.
It's dangerous territory if we go the alaskan route...

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

Richmake: I agree with you 110% on this point!

And who ever said that running a charter boat is a "commercial operation" ?

More like a "non-profit society". [:p]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

quote:I think one area we all could easily work together is a public/media campaign to embarrass DFO managers into positive action

I wish I could agree Profisher. But look at the response to the boat cavalcade in Victoria to protest DFO actions.

A number of posters here chose instead of getting on board ,and helping out, to **** all over the campaign

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Cheers Bogman,

Well, I would be fine if the commercials were paid out in full for their licenses - and the government funded the entire operation. If that were to occur you would find no protest from me. I still believe that - eventually - quota will have to be transferred to the sports sector - be it government funded purchase or simply reallocation. To ask me to fund it - now that ain't going to happen.

Loved Sushihunter's comment:

And who ever said that running a charter boat is a "commercial operation" ? More like a "non-profit society".</u>

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

So true we may be deemed "commercial" in taking people out but definatlly not</u> a commercial fisherman !!!!
Last time I checked a commercial halibut fisherman puts down 500 hooks to 1 skate of line and leaves it down for 12 to 24 hours and goes away while it fishes!!!!

Us we go out maybe put 3 or 4 rods down and fish for maybe 4 to 7 hours then we go home!!!!!

UMMMM weres the balance there?????

Nope id say we definattly ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

So true we may be deemed "commercial" in taking people out but definatlly not</u> a commercial fisherman !!!!
Last time I checked a commercial halibut fisherman puts down 500 hooks to 1 skate of line and leaves it down for 12 to 24 hours and goes away while it fishes!!!!

Us we go out maybe put 3 or 4 rods down and fish for maybe 4 to 7 hours then we go home!!!!!

Wolf

true but a commie only fishes for 14 days out of the year.. There are SOME charter operators boasting about taking close to 20,000lbs in a season for "their clients", doesn't get much more commercial than that.

seems to me the definition of what constitutes 'commercial' fishing is at issue here. that said:

'commercial fishing, an activity involving being paid to/for fish'

now the longliners are being paid by the pound, the guides are being paid by their clients. not much difference, i'd say.

One is paid by the pound the other by the hour. Both are businesses and therefor are by definition "Commercial". A commercial plane is no different weather cargo or passenger. I don't feel guilty about being commercial...mainly because my commercial operation isn't dependent on raping the ocean for as many fish as I can get before the other guy gets them.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

One is paid by the pound the other by the hour. Both are businesses and therefor are by definition "Commercial". A commercial plane is no different weather cargo or passenger. I don't feel guilty about being commercial...mainly because my commercial operation isn't dependent on raping the ocean for as many fish as I can get before the other guy gets them.

so your clients are ok if they don't catch fish when you go. Give me a break. How long do you think your business would survive if you were not catching fish. If that is the case and your clients are there for the experience, then you have a rare client base.

quote:Originally posted by fish4all

Wolf

true but a commie only fishes for 14 days out of the year.. There are charter operators boasting about taking close to 20,000lbs in a season for "their clients" doesn't get much more commercial than that.

20,000 lbs a season????? Are you drunk? I couldn't catch 5,000 a year if i fished evry day of the season. It's sad that you have to manufacture crap like this to protect the resource "our government" GAVE to you commies. [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Tofinoguy

Wolf

true but a commie only fishes for 14 days out of the year.. There are charter operators boasting about taking close to 20,000lbs in a season for "their clients" doesn't get much more commercial than that.

20,000 lbs a season????? Are you drunk? I couldn't catch 5,000 a year if i fished evry day of the season. It's sad that you have to manufacture crap like this to protect the resource "our government" GAVE to you commies. [xx(]

I wish I were drunk. Unfortunatly many of the guides out of Prince Rupert are ex-commies and have no problem telling you what they are landing for a season. Check it out before you start pointing fingers.

Wolf

I wish I were drunk. Unfortunatly many of the guides out of Prince Rupert are ex-commies and have no problem telling you what they are landing for a season. Check it out before you start pointing fingers.

Check what out? I've been a charter guide on WCVI since 1987 and been to the IPHC meetings. I know what the numbers are and they aren't 20,000 per boat. My finger is pointed at baloney.

Wolf

Check what out? I've been a charter guide on WCVI since 1987 and been to the IPHC meetings. I know what the numbers are and they aren't 20,000 per boat. My finger is pointed at baloney.

I never said 20,000 per boat. I said "some guides". Not my fault if you can't keep up to the northern guides.

5000lbs for your commercial business that is $180,000 worth of quota. quite the nice "FREE" gift.

Wolf

Well..... you did say 20,000 lbs per charter operation. Doesn't "some guides" equal boat?
Maybe i'll have to come up and see how the "highliners" do it. [:p]

Wolf

Well..... you did say 20,000 lbs per charter operation. Doesn't "some guides" equal boat?
Maybe i'll have to come up and see how the "highliners" do it. [:p]

sorry that was a cheap shot. I realize that not all charter boats catch that much fish.

I am with you tofino, 20,000 lbs per year per guide is absolutely bs. Laughable exaggeration. Not worth debating at such a childish level...

perhaps such a number represents what a lodge would take on an annual basis as opposed to a single operator runing one boat, don't know.

Commercial halibut fisherman fish WAY ore than 14 days.
And ill still maintain we ARE NOT commercial fisherman as charter/guides we are commercial in DOT eyes as carrying passengers just like on a ferry or whale watching organization.

I know of many guys who go out halibut fishing on every set of tides to get halibut and are very successful just what do you think they are doing with it???how much halibut does one need????

Before setting blame on commercial/guides/charters, might want to look at some of the sport fishing sector and the amout some are taking thats why an annual limit on halibut is in order!!!!!

good luck Wolf

i have to agree wolf, i figure 2 max 3 chicken halibut is plenty for our fish dinners. i know of a guy down this way who will kill 10-20 every year. of course we do have a daily limit and supposidly a posession limit but unless someone looks in a freezer, it's impossible to do anything.

Back