2009 Honda question

Jencourt

The receptionist at my work and her man are looking for a new to them outboard.
They have found a 2009 90HP Honda four stroke. Motor has 462 hours on it. The guy wants 5500 for it.
Not sure if it comes with controls or not.
Anyway, she asked me if i know anything about them. I told her nope but i would put it to you folks and see if there is any opinions and or experience regarding this motor.

I seem to remember reading something about Honda's from that time frame having lots of electronic issues? I may have that wrong?

Any feedback would be great.

Had a 2009 115hp Honda on the back of an 2009 18' foot aluminum for 3 years (2012-2015), not one issue. I see the new owner now and again and no problems reported.

I can't speak personally to that exact year or model. Every Honda I've owned I'd rank at the top of outboards for reliability. Lack of dealers and difficulty getting parts is the only downside I've heard of. Never experienced the parts issue myself, as the motors I owned were so reliable I never needed to order in parts.

Honda's are great. The dealer network around here is brutal though, so hopefully you don't mind doing some work yourself. Would not hesitate to buy a low hours (reputable year) honda, in good mechanical shape ever!

I ran a Honda for 10 years, great motor.
The pisser tends to get plugged a lot due to small passages.
Change the oil's regularly and keep them maintained and you can
get 1000's of hours on them.

Super reliable often the on the heavier side. Dealer network is not the best but honda always builds a quality product!!!

i ran a 2005 225 with the only problem being when the fuel lines aged they were collapsing and causing fuel starve issues, man was that hard to diagnose. never any other hic ups than expensive high pressure fuel filters and making sure the valves got adjusted every 3-4 hundered hrs. great motors IMHO, price seems a lil high but not ridiculous..

Back