2008 - South Island Fishing Summary

Little Hawk

Howdy,

Man-o-man! Is this website as slow as fishing in Sooke this year, or is it just my computer?

Okay Boys/Girls, I've been watching and reading reports on this forum all summer and I don't like what I'm hearing/reading about fishing the South Island this year. I know there's still some salmon fishing left before the year runs out, but it seems to me (regardless that I am a newcomer) that the fishing has really-sucked this year.

Maybe some of you Veterans and local folks could help me paint a picture of the fishing season this year and put things in perspective.

All opinions greatly appreciated.

Standing for Wild Salmon,

Terry Anderson

I'm far fram an old timer, so can't give a long-term perspective, but this is the slowest season I've experienced in 8 years of fishing Sooke.

Now that being said, there are hot and cold times every year, and some guys that consistently outfish others...there's a few of these on this forum, and we haven't heard of that many skunk days for them (although I doubt they'd advertise it! ;))
Just about every year the Sooke derby has been SLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWW fishing, yet every year there's a bunch of 30 pounders weighed in. Same this year, some very slow days, but there's still a few fish being caught every day, meaning it is still worth being out there -- if no fish are being caught, that will make for a difficult decision.

I expect the river returns will be dismal, as bad or worse than last year. What we all have to cross our fingers for and ask for our Christmas present is that next year's return of 3 year old springs show some improvement. That might imply our current poor situation is at least partially the result of something environmental back in 2003 or 2004, that wiped out the run. If next year's 3 year old returns are bad....then maybe it means a bigger picture problem, rivers in trouble, climate change, ocean warming, massive overfishing, all those big scaries we don't want to think about when putting gear in the water.

Anyways, back to the topic...

I only fished 4 or 5 times in Sooke this year, mostly short trips, and it's the first year I haven't landed a fish in Sooke! Yikes! But Renfrew has been pretty good for me. It sounds like it has slowed down there now, but it was fairly consistent for most of this summer. Maybe not as good as it can be, but reasonably decent fishing, and at times close to spectacular.

East of Sooke, I can't speak to...I hope the Victoria gang are catching a few here and there.

Let's hope for a good late coho season, and winter springs will be a-comin' before you know it.

Good luck out there!

John

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

Only 3 trips for me to Sooke, as reports were slow.
one wild coho only to show for it.
Salmon has been real slow off Victoria as well.

On an up note, there seem to be lots's of Halibut.
keep your gear on the deck ,bouncing bottom every once in a while
I've had fairly good success doing that.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Come-on Boys... let's hear about it!

Wolf... you're ignoring me again.

Well i'll bite,fished sooke since the mid 60's I can remember a few times like this,hopefully, its a natural cycle.Caught a few this year but spent half the time experimenting with some different setups,so wasn't expecting a banner year.Talked to a few buddies up island and roughly the same as here.Dan

Here, I posted this earlier under Sooke reports:

quote:It's been the worst year as long as I have been fishing here. But talking to oldtimers who grew up here and fished the waters since the 60's they can't remember a year that even came close to being that slow for fishing. The operational manager of the Nitinat hatchery recently told me that he expects catastrophic returns this year...But that would be nothing but as expected after last year's bad return (last year there were the 3-year springs missing, this year the 4-year springs - both classes make out the overwhelming majority of our spring populations here). Next year we will find out if it was in fact only due to a weird ocean current in 2005 that caused those two years of lack of fish (official DFO opinion) or if something else is at work. In 2006 the ocean conditions were good so there should be no reason for a low return in 2009/2010. Wait, pray, and see...

I will have to reluctantly agree, It has been like last season, only worse for Vic/Sooke. At least last year you could hit some pinks as a reserve. I have fished Sooke since before 1980 with the old man and he too agrees, it is the worst he has seen in 35+ years. The early 90s had a lull wich comes close in comparison. I just hope the cool water and nutrient rich upwellings continue, providing a light of hope for the future. The closest Tuna moved in this year, was 60 miles off Newport OR. Most guys went over 80 to one hundred NM offshore to get into the thick of them, and even that was said to be half the numbers of last year, i hope it stays that way.

Some commercial guys i know well, place a good chunk of blame on the pollock fishery chinook bycatch of SE Alaskan Waters, Who knows!

www.tailspincharters.com

I have been fishing the Juan de fuca strait for 30 years. Most of that time was spent fishing in Oak Bay. Until about 8 years ago when Oak bay became the Dead sea and no one fishes there anymore. Crazy. So for the last 8 years I have fished Sooke waters. This has been the worst year in regards to amount of time spent on the water vs fish caught. I have put in a lot of time fishing this year and have caught fish but was it ever slow. Average 8-9 hrs per trip. 3-4 times per week since May long weekend and my license is only half full with most of the fish coming from Renfrew. Each time I went to Renfrew is was ok, some days were great. I am hoping it was a just a bad year but looking at Oak Bay it maybe a sign of the times. Scary.

cby

Yup Oak bay is pretty well done, the days of 30 boats trolling the flats long gone.

That said i had a good one on yesterday, came running right at the boat so fast I couldn't wind up quick enough and thought he was gone, then wham !! off he goes on another run.
It shook off about 150' back and never did see it.

Maybe it's not quite the dead sea ;)

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Yes,it was not a good year.
I've been planning to upgrade to a better boat in '09 and maybe there will be someone who wants out of theirs for financial,gas price,or no fish reasons.
This is my way of putting a smile on my..get up a 3am. to go drag a line around...attitude towards the year.

Back