2003 Yamaha 225 HP 4 Stroke

spring fever

Anyone have any feel for what is reasonable hours to expect to get out of a well maintained, always flushed 225 trailered Yamaha. I hear that corrosion of the mid-section is a major problem even if all the Zincs are changed and it is flushed after every trip. Trying to put my mind at ease after a "doom and Gloom" conversation

th_fishing2006026.jpg

i know a few of those yamahas had major corrosion problems in their cooling systems, although it is kept pretty hush, and i think most were in the first 200hrs.

If the motor isnt being ran hard, and in that context i mean being on an underpowered boat and needing to work more than it should, those motors should last anywhere from 3500-5000hrs+ realistically, more or less depending on other variables though of course.

img3937n.jpg

i love my yami's and know lots of guys who have them mostly 225's all went around 1200-1500 hrs they were all running fine but the corrosion gets em they say the new one's won't do it.

Yes, that big block corrosion problem is a closely guarded secret by the yami boys...one of the reasons I'm running Suzuki's.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Suzuki has their own secrets.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

But at least Suzuki covers it on warranty with no hassles:)...and the unbeatable service I get is the key...I don't wait around for days until they can "squeeze me in".[xx(]

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:Originally posted by searun

quote:Originally posted by profisher

But at least Suzuki covers it on warranty with no hassles:)...and the unbeatable service I get is the key...I don't wait around for days until they can "squeeze me in".[xx(]

Searun

th_067.jpg
All of the Japanese motors - Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda all have anodes in the block that most people neglect to change. This causes the corrosion problems. Great sevice from your dealer is important but when they can't get a new powerhead into their shop for 16 to 20 days you are still hooped. I've seen it happen to fellow guides from both Yamaha and Suzuki over the last few years. My 2 cents.

Is this anode external to the block or internal ?
if the latter, not too many guys i know would attempt
to change it.
sounds like a job for the mechanic...

No it is pretty easy to change them. They are in the block on the 225 Yammi right next to the spark plugs-there are 2 bolts in a tear drop aluminum holder -you only need to remove the 10 mm one(the other is 7 or 8 mm) and the tear drop will pull out with your anode. There are 2 aside. If you have an early 2002'03'04 you had better change them because the material they were constructed from did not break down very well and should be replaced. They do not look like they need it-but they do. The 9.9 yammi kickers also have one in the head-look for similar aluminium tear drop holder. On the power tilt models( 9.9) it is next to the dipstick-on non-tilt remove 4 bolts from the valve cover and it is in there. Mine on the 9.9 power tilt had been working correctly and definitly needed changing. Not sure -ask the Yammi dealer to show you where it is on his parts screen.This is a must to do -at least check cause I have never had mine checked or asked about on any servicing I have ever had done.

th_fishing2006026.jpg

Thanks for that Tailout-I'm at 572 with no signs-I'd be okay with 12 or 1300. My wife could probably live with that!!!

th_fishing2006026.jpg

What RPM do you run at Spring Fever and what pitch on your prop?. I seem to have to run about 4300 to 4400 it doesn't sound like its working to hard, and it holds my boat on a good efficient plane.

I always keep it below 5000 but I need 4700 which gives me 25 mph. Can't remember the pitch off hand would have to look in the shed.I can get 5700 however I don't use it. I would have liked another 25 hp but it wasn't available at the time.Boat performs very well and for the size of boat gets good fuel economy. Will get the prop size later.

th_fishing2006026.jpg

Ya my boat is rated for a 250hp as well, almost wish I had the extra 25hp
I was worried I might be running it a little to hard, but I guess not. I bumped up from a 19 to a 21 Turning Point prop gained 2.5 miles an hour so I now get 26 to 28 mph depending on load.

Just looked at the prop and it is stamped 15-M. It's the one it came with and since the motor and the boat peform well with it I haven't thought of changing. The motor doesn't seem to work hard at 4700 but it is a heavy boat and I carry a lot of ice, traps, pullers etc.-I usally fish with a total of 3-none of whom appears to be losing weight-but if I have to re-power someday I would certainly want at least 250 HP. Once all the traps are set( prawn and crab) probably 600 or more pounds then she really performs well. I am not that fussed about high speed I just care about heavy water and man it is an amazing package in the really heavy going.Didn't you get a Kingfisher?

th_fishing2006026.jpg

Yep, I use my boat to get me into logging camps, so fiberglass wasn't an option, it definitely pounds a little harder than a big deep V. But it fishes awesome has low operating cost, and it got me out of Toba Inlet yesterday in gale force winds.

They are a nice boat-I was in a 27 down in parksville the other day-lots of bells and whistles with a 300 yammi on it. Be interesting to see how that motor holds up. I hear what you are saying-my boat has never touched a beach or ramp and I hope it never does-still I miss the ability to get on a beach without a raft. Every boat is a compromise. Hope to see you next year in WH. Do you sleep on the Hook?

th_fishing2006026.jpg
Limited!!! Homeward Bound!!

I'm doing boat maintenance now because I want to go to Cape Scott again-hopefully in April (wx permitting)-I've had really good luck up there for hali's and trolling back on the highway outside the RCA is very productive for Salmon -if the Gods are Smiling. Think on it because a safety boat is always nice at that time of year.We don't always get a good window in april but it sometimes happens. Sure starts the season off with a bang

th_fishing2006026.jpg

Back