2$ to 3$ a litre gas this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to Galiano this weekend and stayed on the boat with three guys for the derby. Total trip fuel cost was $1075. No hotel needed. 175 miles of travel total including our run up to Thrasher and back. Pretty cheap split three ways considering we lived aboard. No ferry, no hotel, no launch or parking fees. Just one man's view.

We went to Galiano this weekend and stayed on the boat with three guys for the derby. Total trip fuel cost was $1075. No hotel needed. 175 miles of travel total including our run up to Thrasher and back. Pretty cheap split three ways considering we lived aboard. No ferry, no hotel, no launch or parking fees. Just one man's view.
Trips like that is where your boat really shines

Saw a sweet commander at Montague the weekend before. I bet much better food than BC ferries on your boat and better beer with a lower markup.

Saw a sweet commander at Montague the weekend before. I bet much better food than BC ferries on your boat and better beer with a lower markup.
We ate like kings. Bacon and eggs in the morning. Pasta dinner. And the late night short ribs are always a crowd pleaser at the dock. Played cards under Bumba light. IMG-20220529-WA0004.jpg

Canadian dollar was also at par in July 2008. At current exchange rates, WTI is over C$150/bbl.

Also, the main driver for refined products prices now is not underlying crude shortage and prices, but refining bottlenecks. Refineries can't keep up with demand. And carbon taxes are not the only taxes that have increased over the last 14 years.

The charts below are from today and provide some info on the current refining situation. Specifically charts 3 and 4 show how far above the regression line diesel and gasoline prices are relative to Brent.

U.S. RETAIL GASOLINE prices have climbed to an average of almost $5 per gallon, the highest after adjusting for wages since June 2014, when Islamic State fighters were threatening to capture the giant oilfields of northern Iraq. Wage-adjusted pump prices are in the 92nd percentile for all months since 1990, up from the 60th percentile in December 2021 and the 53rd percentile in June 2021:
35a41d8a-688c-2bd5-adfd-7c1ecff74cca.jpg
2a7055a4-7b2a-a805-710b-dc853122da8d.jpg

U.S. ROAD FUEL prices are rising even faster than crude benchmarks, resulting in an increasing premium first for diesel and now gasoline, as refineries prove unable to keep pace with demand from freight hauliers and private motorists:
eaa2ee1e-0a39-35f3-42f8-f655c4217769.jpg
6e149f56-2fef-ecd4-93b3-d3bd38b203b8.jpg
ae3d8b87-ae22-b5b2-3a0f-7d77949b4a22.jpg
be6e0e25-1499-4861-1675-dfe06de14c71.jpg

last week we ran 3 days out to nahwitti bar, 30 miles one way out, 60+ round trip out of port hardy and 1 day out from port McNeil down to TC 600 bucks in gas total for the 4 days on a 135 mercury optimax in 18 foot boat.

6 chinook,, 3 black rockfish, 1 25 pound ling, 1 20 pound halibut out of port hardy for the two of us

did not really try for ground fish, though could of really put the poundage on if that was goal but wanted to do the salmon thing

even taking ferry 200 their, 300 back and truck gas into account 400 bucks ish with the price of seafood these days didn't seem like it would be overall much cheaper to buy it, Though that not what fishings all about.

Was doing the circle with guide boats with twin 300s, man that's got to eat up the fuel

Oh Also bough 3 packs of anchovies from the bait shack for 40 bucks. 10 in a pack so the bigger ones.

1654719567509.jpeg1654719531705.jpeg

Last edited:
Government has caused this situation by battling oil and gas expansion like electricity can replace it over night which of course is not possible. Demand is high and russia has nothing to do with it in Canada. Just poor foresight and policies.

They are also quick to forget oil and gas just faced 7 years of volatility including negative $ barrels of oil.

I don’t have a 26ft 300hp outboard anymore holding 600L but it pains me to fill up my 16ft and my "fuel efficient" ECO diesel jeep just the same. Thanks voters

Government has caused this situation by battling oil and gas expansion like electricity can replace it over night which of course is not possible. Demand is high and russia has nothing to do with it in Canada. Just poor foresight and policies.

They are also quick to forget oil and gas just faced 7 years of volatility including negative $ barrels of oil.

I don’t have a 26ft 300hp outboard anymore holding 600L but it pains me to fill up my 16ft and my "fuel efficient" ECO diesel jeep just the same. Thanks voters
So our government is responsible for setting the price of a barrel of oil? And also controls what the thieving gas companies charge at the pump?

Note this is based on a buck ninety eight per liter. That has gone up, and the corresponding level of imposed taxes did too...

blobid0_1652916318171.jpeg

$260 in fuel for two days of fishing in Bamfield 1/4 of the fuel bill for towing there and running across the a few miles out. Literally double the cost of last year when my buddy lost his **** when I sent him his amount owing, can’t imagine what he’d say this year.

Gas is a drop in the bucket for my host who took us out. Compared to the purchase price and maintenance of the new truck, used trailer and boat I was lucky enough to get invited out on. Rough calculation my buddy spent 150k before gst and pst this year before getting us on the water. I could be under estimating by tens of thousands.

Gave away about $260 in halibut and salmon today. Fresh is best. So many laughs, high fives, groans and f….k! Loosing fish and landing them. I don’t do drugs, chase girls, do crazy sports or drink anymore, so the high of gaffing in a big Hali and netting a nice salmon is money well spent.

I'm running 300 miles this coming weekend @ $6.44 USD per gallon with 1MPG econ. Anchoring the whole time. Like @Rain City said, take out the hotels and moorage then divide by four guys. Still a bargain IMO, pain threshold nowhere close. ymmv of course, but perspective and priorities need to factor into the math as well.

Note this is based on a buck ninety eight per liter. That has gone up, and the corresponding level of imposed taxes did too...

blobid0_1652916318171.jpeg
Should show the profit margin in the chart as well to give a good picture, leaving it as an afterthought at the bottom is a bit misleading. Both Government and Gas Companies are good at blaming each other. Imagine if we were talking price per gallon still?

I think I burned like $200.00 gas for 3 days fishing up in Barkley Sound on the 150hp suzuki. So $67.00 a day. Really in grand scheme of things think it's still worth it. I am having this feeling we may never see these prices drop under $2.00 again.

Yup it is the new reality me thinks. Gonna hit the North American fuel based recreational lifestyle hard. The times they are a chang'in. I say we need more investment in hydrogen fuel to make up for electric power's shortcomings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back