2 stroke vs 4 stroke question

Hexxen

Very noob question here but why do I hear people say they would only ever run thier 4 strokes at WOT for a minute or less or at all, but I hear people say to give the 2 strokes the old Italian tuneup and giver the beans?

If some one could explain like im 5 that would be amazing.

Cheers!

More moving parts in a 4S, less in a 2S, which typically have a narrower power band than 4S. 2S burn oil in the fuel mixture which can foul the spark plugs and leave “carbon” which seems to clear out when you run it at max rpm’s, even variable ratio 2S. You can idle a 4S all day.

More moving parts in a 4S, less in a 2S, which typically have a narrower power band than 4S. 2S burn oil in the fuel mixture which can foul the spark plugs and leave “carbon” which seems to clear out when you run it at max rpm’s, even variable ratio 2S. You can idle a 4S all day.
Thank you. Totally understand now.

Those recent posts will be deleted soon @Admin

But I will happily chime in a new perspective on the topic.
I know some buds that love to rip on 4 strokes for periods of 10-20 minutes straight and have logged 1000’s of hours on them with no problem at all.

@Hexxen are you looking for a boat, or potentially repowering a boat you have? Welcome to the forum!

Love my 1991 two stroke GT 150 Johnson cruising on a nice day at 50 mph to Vancouver’s great , The four stroke 2007 175 Honda of my brothers can’t keep up to the Johnson . Only thing I have ever replaced is one spark coil and the magnets in the flywheel came loose ,had to replace 3 chipped ones . My brothers already spent 5or 6 thousand on repairs . I do use an old Honda kicker for fishing and love the old Japanese Hondas . Not the same quality since they changed to lowest bidder to build their motors ( usually china ) The four strokes do use less gas than the two strokes unless you were lucky enough to buy an evinrude g2 (best mileage ever) the year COVID killed their production line and put them out of business 🙁 i do clean motor out with a can of sea foam at beginning of each season .

Those recent posts will be deleted soon @Admin

But I will happily chime in a new perspective on the topic.
I know some buds that love to rip on 4 strokes for periods of 10-20 minutes straight and have logged 1000’s of hours on them with no problem at all.

@Hexxen are you looking for a boat, or potentially repowering a boat you have? Welcome to the forum!
Hey Stizzla, I own a campion 165 fishing machine w a yammy 70 2s. I bought it from my father , he figures hes put a total of under 400 hrs on the hull and engine and I am just asking things that I don't have answers to so I can best care for my boat and keep my self on the water this summer.

Love my 1991 two stroke GT 150 Johnson cruising on a nice day at 50 mph to Vancouver’s great , The four stroke 2007 175 Honda of my brothers can’t keep up to the Johnson . Only thing I have ever replaced is one spark coil and the magnets in the flywheel came loose ,had to replace 3 chipped ones . My brothers already spent 5or 6 thousand on repairs . I do use an old Honda kicker for fishing and love the old Japanese Hondas . Not the same quality since they changed to lowest bidder to build their motors ( usually china ) The four strokes do use less gas than the two strokes unless you were lucky enough to buy an evinrude g2 (best mileage ever) the year COVID killed their production line and put them out of business 🙁 i do clean motor out with a can of sea foam at beginning of each season .
Yea my dad said the same thing he said he's had to do nothing to the yammy, except routine maintenance, seafoam and 91 when he stores for winter. He said she just goes and goes. He said it was hard to start one year and he was going to go get it all rebuilt but found a tiny crack in one of the fuel lines which was too small to spit gas but big enough to suck in air. 7 dollars later shes purring like a kitten again.

So basically run my engine like an 80s alfa romeo! Got it lol.
Yes you should , I loved driving the 1974 Alfa 2000 GTV we had fun car ,especially driving in the mountains . The 1983 Yamaha 2 stroke 200 was a fun unit to cruise in to but not as reliable as my Johnston gt150 . I always inspect gas hoses and replace inline gas filter once a year also I put fuel stabilizer in a full tank when putting in storage each year ,
the Hondas and yamaha I clean the jets at beginning of each year , bought jet cleaning tools on Amazon , makes a big difference at low speed .

Last edited:
Yes you should , I loved driving the 1974 Alfa 2000 GTV we had fun car ,especially driving in the mountains . The 1983 Yamaha 2 stroke 200 was a fun unit to cruise in to but not as reliable as my Johnston gt150 . I always replace gas hoses and inline gas filter once a year also I put fuel stabilizer in a full tank when putting in storage each year ,
the Hondas and yamaha I clean the jets at beginning of each year , bought jet cleaning tools on Amazon , makes a big difference at low speed .
Nice! I owned an 87 Milano verde qaudrafoligio for a good bit. Wonderful car. Those 3 liter bussa engines sound amazing!

I just had the 70 all tuned up in Kamloops so we are all fresh. It's a 91.

A fishing partner of mine has an older Merc 150 2 stroke. He winds that sucker into the stratosphere and is sounds great at WOT and 55 mph.
I have a1996 parts motor for him if we want's.

Hey Stizzla, I own a campion 165 fishing machine w a yammy 70 2s. I bought it from my father , he figures hes put a total of under 400 hrs on the hull and engine and I am just asking things that I don't have answers to so I can best care for my boat and keep my self on the water this summer.
Oh yeah, I see in your profile pic. That’s a solid motor! Definitely likes some throttle

2 strokes do tend to carbon up if idled too much. Wide open runs help with this, provided you can afford the gas, lol.

There is a good product made by Evinrude called Engine Tuner, like seafoam on steroids. Run a can of that through once a year, the amount of gunk that comes out is amazing. Just don't do it on your pristine new concrete driveway.

2 strokes do tend to carbon up if idled too much. Wide open runs help with this, provided you can afford the gas, lol.

There is a good product made by Evinrude called Engine Tuner, like seafoam on steroids. Run a can of that through once a year, the amount of gunk that comes out is amazing. Just don't do it on your pristine new concrete driveway.
Lol noted!

620CE6DA-E608-4C1D-8D35-233928A79F8C.jpeg
These 3 cylinder Yamaha’s are great engines. Just don’t over rev them. This is my 50hp outboard jet. I hit a sand bar at full revs and this was the result. I pulled the head to investigate why the compression was down. It wasn’t idling well, so I did a compression test. The chunk got sucked out and did no cylinder damage. My friend, who was a licensed marine mechanic, said put the head on and run it. Just add extra oil. So I did for that summer. That winter we put in a new piston and rings, on that cylinder, and it’s still going strong.

Back