1999 Johnson outboards and double eagles

Have a 1998 3 cylinder Johnson 60 on my 16 foot (not Double Eagle but comparable weight), and motor does well. No problems.

What size hull and motor?

17 foot maybe 17.5 hull with 90 i think its the three cylinder as well. I like the size i dont think i could afford gas on anything larger. Thats good to hear as i have heard questionable things about the older johnsons.The package only has 110 hours mostly freshwater. Thanks for the input guys

Can't go wrong with a Double Eagle. My 17.5 has a 90 horse 2 stroke Yamaha and it is a great size motor for the size of boat. Had Johnsons on my 2 boats before this and nothing bad to say.
Keep up with the service and use good oil.

Tips

Not as far as I know Kelly,he's working out of the country for a few years and was thinking of selling it,but last time I talked to him about it he said What am I thinking,it took me years to find this one I may not be able to find another,so its in storage.DAN

You know kelly, I am running a 29 year old Johnson on my 17.5 Campion and it is unkillable. Sometimes I wish it would die in order to justify a new one to my better half...I am sure it will run for another 10 years if I don't kill it on purpose!

Kelly, I was a johnson/ evinrude mechanic in the 90's. The only problems with these units were the ficht fuel injection systems.
If its a carburated model, I would give it two thumbs up.
Most people mistake the VRO unit for being "oil injected". VRO stands for variable ratio oiling. I have never seen one of these units fail in such a way that it causes an inadequate supply of oil. When they fail (which is not too often) they tend to over oil. How they work is they actually mix the fuel/ oil in a mixing chamber before it goes into the carb., using a series of springs and diaphragms, coupled with crankcase pulses and vacuum to meter it.
These are not my 2 cents, they are facts.

Looks like a good deal on a good boat.
Mine is a 1992 and I can't see how the hull could be improved. What did the parents friend say they improved? Double Eagle has a long standing reputation. My last DE was a late 70's. Also a great boat.

Tips

He used to be a boat broker. He said they upgraded the hull in 2000 but the hulls before that were still quality boats. Island fish lifter so you say if its a carbed model there should not be any problems? He said take the value of the hull alone and see if its worth it because the engine probaly wont last. I have no knowledge on this but havent seen many of these johnson models around. He also said the olympic were looking at is a decent boat but the merc 4 strk on it was one of the older 4 strks and isnt great. He said stick to honda or better yet yamaha. I think it all comes down to opinions theres so many saying never buy this or that then an experienced guy says the opposite. Hard to know what to think. The guy does know boats hes running a beauty monoro right now. I have been looking on the market a while and this looked like a steal. Lots of late 70s and 80s Double eagles that are the same price as this 1999. Probaly sold by now or close to it[xx(]

Back