1984 - 2005 Which 'Fish' Industry actually created the 'Jobs'?

Little Hawk

I thank Alex for sending me this graph as it clearly illustrates where 'fish' give our Province the biggest economic 'bang-for-the-buck'.

From the get-go the fish-farmers have been singing the praises of all the jobs their industry brings to BC; many of us have known all along this was simply a ploy to distract us from 'the cold truth' about all the pollution, disease and general 'ecological-mayhem' they've wrought upon our coastline.

I look at this graph and again I laugh when I recall John Van Dongen's statement a dozen or so years back when the Campbell government lifted the moratorium on expansion of the fish-farming industry (put in place by the NDP) when he claimed there would be somewhere in the vicinity of 20,000 jobs created by this industry here in BC.

What a crock!

One day we will learn who the co-conspirators in our government were, those who chose to sleep with the salmon-farmers... and there will follow 'a great purge!

(Sorry this graph is so small, not sure how to enlarge the file. But 'clik' on it anyhow and maybe even save it to your computer for future reference.) Good stuff!

Various fisheries employment graph.jpg

Excellent graph Terry proves what we have known for a long time. Let's see how the lice farm spin doctor, hack's and shill's address this!

What do the numbers on the left represent? Millions seem a little low, but billions would seem to high?

Hmmm wouldn't fish processing be linked to commercial fishing? It looks like they separated the two in order to make sportfishing look more substantial. Great graph though, hadn't seen it and it's a topic many of us speculate about.

What do the numbers on the left represent? Millions seem a little low, but billions would seem to high?
The numbers on the left are employment in thousands.

Hmmm wouldn't fish processing be linked to commercial fishing? It looks like they separated the two in order to make sportfishing look more substantial. Great graph though, hadn't seen it and it's a topic many of us speculate about.
fish processing would include both wild and farmed fish.

Interesting. Any idea what happened in 1989 to cause such a spike in employment in the sportfishing industry? Perhaps a new release in Charlie White video's:)?

One thing that scares me is the possibility that fish farms may surpass the commercial sector after 2005. If that's the case then the government would find it increasingly difficult to close it down.

The government(s) will never close down fish farming. It's Big Business and they pretty much call the shots now.

Back