1973 Grew 215 pod idea

kingblazer84

Well im pondering some ideas my dad and I have my grandfathers 1973 grew 215 that was bought in 73 with only 20 hrs on it now it has 650+ hrs on the old 307 sbc with an OMC 800 outdrive. The leg like most OMC crap has been rebuilt multiple times and its been a good boat but it needs some love now. The hull has a nice deep v chine to it, and can handle rough water pretty well as we used to mooch out of it for years on the sunshine coast, and also troll with it.

Im tossing around the idea of maybe podding it and making it a nice fishing boat, now as far as power would 200 or 250 be enough for it? considering the old tired 307 has maybe 160hp now instead of the 225 it used to have lol.

The sleeper seats would have to go thats for sure and upgrade to some swivel buckets, and also all the teak wood needs to be sanded and re varnished. The boat already has bennet trim tabs on it, but the electrial would need to be updated badly with a new fuse/circuit breaker panel.

the real question is the boat really worth it do any of you guys think im crazy for choosing a grew? lol

It would be good to see a few pictures of the boat to get a better idea. As far as worth it goes it does have sentimental value so that's saying something. They were well boat boats in their day in Ontario. My parents had a 15' Grew with a 50Hp Johnson on it when they were first married and would of been a similar vintage to yours. We have several Super 8 reels of them with their friends back in the day waterskiing with it! lol

Last edited:
It would be good to see a few pictures of the boat to get a better idea. As far as worth it goes it does have sentimental value so that's saying something. They were well boat boats in their day in Ontario. My parents had a 15' Grew with a 50Hp Johnson on it when they were first married and would of been a similar vintage to yours. We have several Super 8 reels of them with there friends back in the day waterskiing with it! lol

ill get some pics for yah guys, its been tarped for the last 4 years and was always in a boat house on the coast / out of the water on a dolly system so it was never sitting in the chuck. stringers and floor are solid hull is in very nice shape no chipping or cracking etc.

Sounds like more than half the worry is over then if the stringers are good. Not to mention you have the complete history on the boat and that is very rare for a boat that old.

If you were to scrap the boat and start with a new older one, you would be into it for probably as much or more than you would be doing what you are proposing. Then you wouldn’t have the personal knowledge of the boat and it’s history. Podding and new power with some other upgrades would bring your grandfathers boat back into a comfortable and reliable (new power) fishing machine for many years to come.

Plus we would all get another restoration thread. You know we all love them. I say go for it.

Oly

I would re-build that boat in a heart beat. Even if it's not your regular user I would build it. Lots of family pride in that boat be something special to have. Doesn't have to be done in a day, take your time and do it right, what ever it takes.

Go for it... I podded the same boat for a buddy a couple years ago. He completely abuses it in my opinion and it is holding up perfectly. I completely re did a Grew 245 for myself as well and finally have my favorite fishing boat.
I do have a hard top for a 215 just taking up space

Go for it... I podded the same boat for a buddy a couple years ago. He completely abuses it in my opinion and it is holding up perfectly. I completely re did a Grew 245 for myself as well and finally have my favorite fishing boat.
I do have a hard top for a 215 just taking up space

How much for the top?

Back