19/20 slot restrictions

How big craven? The 13-22 lb hatcheries should flood us soon you'll get all the meat you need while playing by the rules. Sucks getting nice wilds early season when its your best fish of the year to date. I remember a beauty wild I got last year first teener of the year nice and fat, awesome fight but I could see the adipose 30ft away.

Got a mid teens wild coho last year too it chased my Hali gear right to the boat (two of them actually) and I happened to have a lure at the ready. Dropped it in watched the take - but back it went. At the time I wanted to keep both in hindsight tossing them back was certainly the right thing to do.

Doesn't look to promising....

In 2014, the Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 22. The
total catch for the period of this update (May 5 to May 17) was zero (0)
chinook, which is similar to catch observed in 2012 and 2013. Based on this
input, the current predicted return to the mouth of the Fraser for the Spring 5-
2 and Summer 5-2 chinook aggregate is less than 25,000 fish.

The next scheduled update is on June 2 and the final in-season update is
planned for June 16.

Management actions will be confirmed pending the final in-season update planned
for June 16. Previously announced fishery management actions to conserve Fraser
River chinook remain in effect.

Ugh! It wasn't really surprising though...Another reason to get the hatchery and net pen fish production going as soon as possible to sustain our fishery. We have lots of fish around now because of the Americans... Oh wait a minute they have hatcheries?

How can there be zero Springs in 12 days?
Look at all the fish being caught in Nanaimo in the last few weeks. I assume these are headed for the Fraser.

Somebody please bonk a couple fish and drop them in those test nets.
Maybe DFO doesn't know how to fish? That wouldn't surprise me.

According to Cravens post above there is supposed to be an in season update today which I hope will include regulations for this area beyond June 13, 2014. I for one am looking forward to learning what our early summer season is going to look like.

I hope they give us a bit of notice on the slot regardless if it is an extension or elimination or a combination of the two. DFO's style might be to just release the test fishery results today and a regulation update late in the week of June 9th, but we'll see.

I'm new to this test fishery information, but I found the following site that provides daily updates: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionchinook-quinnat-eng.html

Looking at that, in the period Craven noted before (presumably off a DFO site update), there were actually 4 chinook - 3 on May 12 and another 1 on May 14. Yet the report Craven quoted said zero for that time period...what gives?

Looking to more recent dates, 3 more Spring were caught May 27, 2 on May 31, and 1 yesterday, June 1.

Noot sure what it all amounts to, when compared to previous years, but hoping for the best.

So far they've caught 5 spring ,on more that this time last year and 2 more than the year before
We're looking a bit better

Today's update from DFO is no management changes until June 16. http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=159788&ID=all

In 2014, the Department has identified concerns associated with expected poor
returns of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to the Fraser River. Management
of these stocks is based on an in-season assessment of returns using the
cumulative catch per unit effort (CPUE) of chinook caught at the Albion Test
Fishery. A three zone management approach is used to identify management
actions.

The Department initiated the 2014 season with management actions based on the
lowest management zone (zone 1) given uncertainties in expected marine survival
rate, and recent years of poor returns for this stock aggregate.

The model used to predict the returns of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to
the Fraser River uses data from the standard chinook net at the Albion Test
fishery and does not incorporate catch from the multi-panel net (which is
currently fished on alternate days). The standard chinook net is an 8 inch
(approx. 20 cm) mesh. Catch and effort data are cumulated by week, starting the
first full week in May, to provide the input to the model.

In 2014, the Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 22. The
total catch for the period of this update (May 5 to May 31) is five (5)
chinook, which is slightly more than catch observed in 2012 (4 chinook) and
2013 (2 chinook). Based on this input, the current predicted return of Spring 5-
2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to the mouth of the Fraser ranges from 31,000 to
58,000 chinook (median of 42,250).

The next and final in-season update is planned for June 16, at which time the
Department will confirm management actions. Previously announced fishery
management actions to conserve Fraser River chinook remain in effect until that
time.

:mad:So zone 1 again. YAY! I am actually getting worried about our event in July as well... I can't stand this anymore we need those net pens in as soon a possible to support Victoria and Sooke sports fishing . This is very scary how low these stocks are. That is too bad I had hoped we would have an improvement.....

UGH!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a CPUE, catch per unit effort, index not a total catch index. So trying to compare numbers caught this year, to date, versus previous years doesn't tell you much. What tells you a lot is the large number of days with nothing caught during this time period the last number of years - all amounts to very low CPUE which indicates very low abundance.

Ukee

Anyhow I am sure SVIAC and other groups have better knowledge to the situation on JDF fishery and are working with DFO on what to do... I just thought from all these things I have been hearing with all these big amounts of stocks swimming by we would get a little break this year...
It won't screw the derby just have to fish it differently... We had same problem last year.

The Albion Test fishery is a joke. This year high water flows have driven fish under the nets. They are fishing behind the recreational fishing in area 19/20 so any catch results come to late to open up a fishery in a timely manner when numbers support zone 2. The Chinook fishing right now in Sooke is some of the best I've seen this early in my entire life and that is a fact. By the time the Albion Test fishery encounters these fish it will be to late. So they are taking these fish with normal limits up north, along the west coast of the Island down to Sheringham Point and when they show up in the river they will open it up and the river guys will get their opportunity. But not Victoria or Sooke. This is why SVIAC exists and why every sOuth island angler should be a member and help us with a strong and broad based membership to fight this injustice.

But Pro remove all the hatchery fish your getting, is this still the best early fishing you've seen in your life? I'm not hearing about tons of wild salmon going back - a few yes but not a ton. Consider many of those wild fish are probably Puget sound bound as well I wont be surprised if the Fraser numbers are still low.

We knew there were tons of American fish coming its the frasers they are concerned about and good fishing in Sooke doesn't mean a good return to the Fraser.

Back