16th Annual Just for the Halibut Derby

My mom would totally be down for me going in the derby as long as I brought her some home lol

after catching my first hali with Wolf and having my mom over for dinner that night she said she going to expand her look for a boyfriend who fishes so he can take me out so I can bring her home fresh fish lol good luck guys!!

Anybody wanting to use the Cattle point launch should note that it will be closed
off Sunday between 6:30 am and noon for the Oak Bay marathon.

Boy would I be pissed if I caught a 142 lb halibut and came in second place!!!

Results

1Trevor Macdougall144.5Halibut
2Andrew Stawicki142.6Halibut
3Jason Birmington120.2Halibut
4Toby Summers102.8Halibut
5Daryl Minifie93.4Halibut

"putting the results on their web page" porci what's with the sideways pics?:confused: :D

does anyone know was everyone who placed anchored or anyone have any luck drift jigging?

Hey Stalker,

My first fish report on the forum will be a response to your question - I went out in our boat Saturday for halibut, drifting, and not expecting much (which is probably why we didn't register for the derby). My mistake. We drifted for a good 4 hours or so right by Clover Point, the currents and wind were really slow, not much movement, so very lucky. It took a while, but with octopus as bait, we finally had a bite around 11:30 am, and instead of it being a dog fish as we kind of suspected, it was a nice, albeit small, halibut! Just over 20lbs was our guess, about the same as the one we caught earlier this year on the charter. It was the only fish for us that day, but also the first caught on our boat since we bought it late winter, so a great day! We've still got lots to learn, and I know most days we won't be so lucky with the currents, but man was it fun!

Cheers!

hey sweet news dood!! good for you! very inspiring for getting the fam out for another trip! just saw your pic in the paper! damn you got some bendy elbows lol. congrats on the catch!

"putting the results on their web page" porci what's with the sideways pics?:confused: :D

There were obvious problems with the program. Yesterday, when I was in the store, they told me that the programmer had been called and he was going to come in a fix it. Their intention was for all of the pictures to be on the web site. The face book page turned out better, but the pics there should be tagged IMHO.

Back