15.5 hourston

Hey everyone. I am looking at a 1986 hourston with a 60 merc on the back. I am fairly mechanical so the motor is going to be reasonably easy to asess but I am a little bit green when it comes to checking out fiberglass. My last double eagles have been way newer. I wish I wouldn't have got rid of them because damn are they hard to find. I going to check the floors and transom out for softness but was wondering if anybody knows of anything special to watch for. I think the hourstons are probably as good as the double eagles but feel free to comment on that as well. I realize the 15.5 footer is small but I don't have the time to moore a boat full time and a 15.5 is about the limit to fit in my garage with it even being tight. The motor is the same vintage as the boat. The boat is priced well I think. They are asking in the low $3000's range. Any one out there feel free to comment as I am in a bit of a quandry. I loved the double eagles I have owned and cannot say enough good about them as they take weather well, ride nicely, catch fish and sell easy. I am just wondering if the hourstons are as well built. The double eagles seem to have more of a following. Thanks everyone.

Howdy,

Hourston builds an excellent boat. They're built in North Vancouver and they've been around forever (60's I think).

Personally, I would'nt look at anything under 18-feet and a good 'deep-V' is a must. If you find yourself in 3 to 4ft seas or out on the Cowichan in a big-blow with your family, you'll thank your lucky stars you're not in a 15 or 16 footer.

If you want strictly a salt-chucker for fishin', I might consider a hard-top if the $$$ was right. If you want a good general-purpose runabout for fishin' and skiing etc., get a convertable.

I'm a sterndrive fan so I couldn't advise you on power if you're looking at an outboard. The choices are many and they've come a long way since the gas-pigs of the 60's...

I would advise you though to go NEW with the power. Reliability is paramount if you get caught in rough water; you can't just call a cab.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Terry

On the inside and most protected areas a 15 is fine. In the summer i can get out almost any day any spot but there is times i wish i had an 18+. I wouldnt feel safe running across the straight in a 15 and its cramped. Gets the job done though and easy on gas. I agree on the power though wouldnt trust an 86

I might be wrong....but I think Hoursten is the oldest manufacturer of fiberglass boats in the world.Tough little moppets.
But it is a bit small.

I have a 15.5, 83 vintage,may have seen it at andy's-right on the main dock by cleaning station-been in lots of rough with it.good little boat.also own a 26' & I'd take the lil one almost anywhere
as long as it isn't to far offshore.very tough boat.also use it in the fraser & lakes.

I have a 1982 15.5' Hourston and so does a fishing buddy of mine. I'm far from an expert, learning as I go, but the little boat seems decent enough for fishing around Sooke. There haven't been too many days that you'd want to be out there and can't. Haven't felt unsafe in it yet, but I head in when the weather gets bad. My buddy pushes it harder than me and has done fine...so far. ;)

Agree about room, with 2 you're bumping into each other, with 3 someone better be sitting down. My canvas keeps us dry fishing, but it limits the room in the back.

When I bought mine, I felt for any soft spots in the floor and transom, and poked all around the outside of the hull and transom for any softness. Seemed sound enough to me. I don't know how much more you can do without drilling holes...and I suspect the person selling it might not be so keen on that! My previous boat, 17' Double Eagle, had a completely rotten floor, learned a lesson there about hull structural strength and the cost of fibreglass repairs. Ouch!

My Hourson's going to be for sale soon too, low $2000s. It has a 70s 100hp on it (and came with two spares for parts). I bought it for the hull, with a plan to repower, but I now have a solid case of 2-foot-itis and am planning to move on up -- something bigger and beamier, newer power, and a cuddy for the kids to play in while I chase down the lunkers. If you're interested, send me an email.

But either way, best wishes for your soon-to-be new-to-you boat.

I had guided in the late 1980's with a 50 hp merc and must have put over 1100 hrs on it. I purchased it new, used whatever 2 stroke oil I could find and did basic maintenance on it. I had to change the mounting bracket and it had a gasket leak that affected the cooling system, but overall was a good engine. It wasn't that fuel efficient but was reliable up until the time I sold the boat. If you don't have the funds and fish inshore, keep the 60 hp merc, treat it well and run a reliable kicker that you know can get you home if needed.

Sounds like a good price on the Hourston, a great boat and size will be fine if you take care and stay inshore weather permitting, maybe check the engine over so you know you can get a few more years out of it. Check the steering cable to see it working OK, walk all over the floor to see if there any soft spots, look at any holes in the gel coat and glass for water penetration, maybe go so far as remove any screws on the transom or other suspicious areas - like a transducer screw to see if signifcant water penetration. Save a few bucks and purchase a decent 6 or 8 hp kicker.

15.5 Cal glass? I have one with a newer 40 horse yamaha runs excellent and a galvinized trailer news seats and whatever gear you want this is a great boat ic aught tonnes of fish in it it needs some tlc as i have a 25 bertram and all my time takes up!
Are you interested?
I was thinking the $3000 range?

Sounds like you should just buy another Double Eagle and be done with it.
Something like a 17.6 Orange on White. 120 Hp Evenrude.(1988) The big block one. 20 Hours on prop.and water pump. new depth sounder. Boat is totally turn key operational. THe trailer has had a rebuild last year. Rimmes, tires, axle and springs.
I was talking to my tax lawyer[:0] and he could not convince me to sell it but some how the accountant did.[8)] $ 5000. It is in the garage. clean and dry.[8D] maxxi@shaw.ca

As to storage issues; I can agree with the post about getting and installing a folding tongue.
This lets you put a boat about 1-2' longer in the garage.
A boat in the garage rests sooo much happier!
Plus you can geat it up the night before and be ready to head out in the am without worrying that your d/r's might get pinched!

Roo.

Back