12th Annual Just For The Halibut Derby

porcupine

The 12th Annual Just For The Halibut Derby will be held May 10th & 11th this year. First place is $7,500 Second Place is $2,500 Third Place is $1,000 There are lots of other prizes as well as a special Hidden Weight Prize. Contact Island Outfitters http://www.fishingvictoria.com/ (475-4969) for more info.

The weather should, with luck, be a bit better with the derby in May this year. The last few years have been a bit of a "Wind Derby"
Looking forward to a few Pops in the sun out JR way this year?[:p]

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Hmmmm, mother's day weekend...
that will make for a lot of popular fishermen !
:D

Yeah, I wonder if my nuts can be used as bait for halibut because if I go on that day, they will surely be handed to me. [B)]

Looks to be some tough currents on the first day of the derby, be blown out well before noon Saterday with a 2.9 kt ebb JDF East. Another chance at around 3pm- 7pm or so. A good break for lunch and a few pops i guess? Not very many good current days on weekends in May this year.[xx(]

We'll be out there. It's a chance to get a new hat and have some overnight fun w/friends and donate some money to a good cause!:D Buy a ticket! Show=up at the early ticket nite and win something.

More details please..What area does this derby take place and where is everyone staying ?
Sounds like it would be fun and a good start to the season...

It's a 2 day derby. The area is Oak Bay to Port Renfrew. Call Island Outfitters 475-4969 for more info and a list of the rules.:D

tailspin where do you find current reports so far in advance??

Anyone knows what the entrance fee is this year?
Or i could just call Island Outfitters tommorow I guess

cheers
vic

quote:tailspin where do you find current reports so far in advance??

The Nobeltech Visual Navigation program and the Tide and current programs are available but very pricey. i have them on my computer, they are a amazingly accurate tool with 15 min intervals on current speeds. Nobeltech is used my the majority of Commercial fisherman on laptops or computers on there boats. It is basicaly a big mapping system that has tide and Current properties for that your GPS plugs into. The canadian tide and current tables issued each year is more of a basic tool of what the currents are doing with slacks, maximums and turns etc. for JDF East and Race passage. So in short, a flood at 2.8 JDFE harmonic station may take 45 minutes to hit you at Discovery. A guessing game! Nobeltech = less guess work it does the math for you.:D

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin

quote:tailspin where do you find current reports so far in advance??

The Nobeltech Visual Navigation program and the Tide and current programs are available but very pricey. i have them on my computer, they are a amazingly accurate tool with 15 min intervals on current speeds. Nobeltech is used my the majority of Commercial fisherman on laptops or computers on there boats. It is basicaly a big mapping system that has tide and Current properties for that your GPS plugs into. The canadian tide and current tables issued each year is more of a basic tool of what the currents are doing with slacks, maximums and turns etc. for JDF East and Race passage. So in short, a flood at 2.8 JDFE harmonic station may take 45 minutes to hit you at Discovery. A guessing game! Nobeltech = less guess work it does the math for you.:D

Yes its an amazing program, you have every tide and current station for the west coast, good to year 2025 Every tide and current station has a colored graph with all the detail information you need. If you look on e-bay you can find it for cheap...

Hey guys - if you have a Palm Pilot handheld or a PDA phone such as Treo or Blackberry - just "google search" TIDE TOOL for Palm. There is a good, basic program that is a free download - it is actually a fairly powerful program... I use it all the time - let me know what you think.....

Back