12 V Cooler

seascene

Crew Member
Just wondering about practicality of small 12 v cooler .. not for whole fish but fillet or two, prawns ... coffee cream etc. I am on a 2 deep cycle 12 v linked system aboard. I have 2.... 350Watt solar panels. Thanks.....

800 marine cranking amps, 100 amp hours. Running nothing at night anchored (led anchor light).
K..."should be fine" ...thanks

Your solar panels should have no problem running a 12v cooler during the day.
Most coolers/fridges will draw anywhere from 4-10 AMPs per hour.

Have been looking into these myself. There’s a good variety to choose from just depends on how much you want to spend. Most of the cheap er units aren’t going to cool well enough in the summer to keep milk or fish etc for very long.

Here is a good review article

One to consider as wel not listed, they have different sizes

If they list a wattage you can divide that by 12v to get the amperage draw.

Have been looking into these myself. There’s a good variety to choose from just depends on how much you want to spend. Most of the cheap er units aren’t going to cool well enough in the summer to keep milk or fish etc for very long.

Here is a good review article

One to consider as wel not listed, they have different sizes

If they list a wattage you can divide that by 12v to get the amperage draw.
Just glanced through that article. The Engel MT35 averages .54 to 2.35 amps per hour. Very efficient.......but also a little pricey.

I run a chilly moose 75 big buck and love it, game changer in my opinion, I run one AGM battery and one small panel on my roof and have no problems, during the day I am on one of my motors and in the evenings I have never had it go out. But not buying ice and having a fridge/freezer on board is awesome. PM me if you want any more info.chilly moose.jpg

Back