100 Million to be cut from DFO

Rockfish

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Fe...es+oceans+over+three+years/8133846/story.html

100 Million to be cut from DFO.

“Ottawa is sparing the aquaculture sector from austerity measures”. Of course.

It also concerns me that the industry is working with the Federal government to get into place a regulatory framework to enhance regulatory certainly. Is this code for putting in place legislative posion pills that will make it very difficult and expensive for any future government to get rid of fish farms in the future?

This is massive. Maybe now is the time to go for a dismantling of the DFO as we know it. Maybe we should be pushing as tax payers for a new department?

Sounds big but it's only cutting their budget by less than 2% per year. It still sucks though.

So you can bet that the Salmon Enhancement Program (SEP) that funds the west coast hatcheries will be cut back as part of the $100 million reduction. Yet depsite the need to reduce the Federal budget by $26 billion, the Salmon Feedlots get an extra $57 million to enhance "regulatory certainity" - i.e. govt. speak code for propping up an economically and environmentally unsustainable industry that is polluting the environment, big potential to spread diseases and harming our wild salmon.

Rockfish is right, the Feds have been told/paid by the industry to make create legislation to make it hard for them to go away by any future govt's.
Wow, shows you the power of good lobbyists.:mad:

Ottawa is sparing the aquaculture sector from austerity measures, extending for another year a program launched in 2008 aimed at enhancing “regulatory certainty” and “improving the conditions for stainable aquaculture sector.” The price tag for the renewal is $57.5 million over five years starting in 2013-14.

Wonder what impact this program may have on the various fishing sectors?

The government also budgeted $33.1 million in the 2013-14 to extend programs on both coasts aimed at covering the cost of “integrating first nations fishing enterprises” into commercial fisheries.
The program was first announced on the West Coast in 2007, when the government proposed the establishment of a $175-million, five-year fund aimed at ending long-standing tensions between aboriginal and commercial fisheries on the West Coast.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Fe...+three+years/8133846/story.html#ixzz2OEaGnDZJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: DFO budget

Pro: :)
Less $ to DFO Ottawa bureaucrats
More $ to the regions and locally
More $ to the PSF

Con: :(
Mary Ellen Walling likes it.

Can you post up their budget numbers Dave?

The department has about 11,000 employees and an annual budget of just under $1.9 billion.

The department will have to cut spending by $33 million a year starting in 2015-16

From the article Rockfish posted.

11,000 Employees doing what?

Exactly!!! It need's to be dismantled. When the government say's they are creating job's..............

My beef is with Ottawa and the employees there. I have zero beef with the front runners on the ground actually doing something.

what an arrogant a-hole Harper and his band of merry men are. Giving back $1 million while they gut the fisheries department. the writing appears to be on the wall. Harper is going to wipe out the wild salmon stocks to bring in his aquaculture buddies and build some pipelines. What a waste of 26 million to do the cohen report.

Everyone - this is a CONSERVATIVE government. What were you expecting?

Do you think Harper give a F if the fish he eats is farmed atlantic or wild Pacific?

If the cuts go to the useless pencil pushers, I'm all for it. Strategic surgery. Leave the enforcement and science alone.

We need a balanced budget. Would you prefer to have the US problems? Tough decisions have to be made. Good on Harper for making them. Your grand kids will thank him.

We need a balanced budget. Would you prefer to have the US problems? Tough decisions have to be made. Good on Harper for making them. Your grand kids will thank him.

We are probably better off here not wading too far away from fishery/marine politics into the realm of general federal politics.

I assume you think the 70% of Canadians the polls show disagree with you are misinformed.

As much as it would be fun I am going to chose not to jump further into this one.

By the way I don’t think our grand kids are going to be thanking us for much.

So long as the pacific fishery is managed in Ottawa where they can't see or feel the impact of their decisions the fish are going to be in trouble.

BC needs to take over. DFO has shown they are unable to manage fisheries on both coasts and for the most part the conservatives want nothing to do with managing things like fisheries. So why not let the province take over at least the provincial government has to be accountable to British Columbians who are really the only ones effected by the decisions on our pacific fishery.

Whose bright idea was if to make fish a national resource instead of provincial? Last time I checked wild pacific salmon, halibut etc. are found in no other province besides BC. The Feds take the benefits from the ocean and leave the mess behind for us.

Whose bright idea was if to make fish a national resource instead of provincial? Last time I checked wild pacific salmon, halibut etc. are found in no other province besides BC. The Feds take the benefits from the ocean and leave the mess behind for us.

Magna Carta... BNA Act ... and the deal BC made to join confederation.

We are probably better off here not wading too far away from fishery/marine politics into the realm of general federal politics.

I assume you think the 70% of Canadians the polls show disagree with you are misinformed.

As much as it would be fun I am going to chose not to jump further into this one.

By the way I don’t think our grand kids are going to be thanking us for much.

I think that's going a bit overboard. Economically they have managed the country well. I'm not voting harper next election for the salmon/halibut issues, but you have to give credit where credit is due...much better shape than our largest trading partner and since they went in the hole hard, we are lucky to have not followed them considering how much of an influence they have on us....

And I will agree if the cuts are in the right places then thats good...problem is with ANY government, usually they are not.

Magna Carta... BNA Act ... and the deal BC made to join confederation.

So?... The feds and province just signed a MOU to have Environmental Assesments "substituted" through a Provincial process. If they can do this for EA's why not fisheries mgmt? Time for the Province to start standing up for what is happening within it.

BIG first step today with the FF announcement.

Steel_dreaming ....
The ocean and it's fish is a federal responsibility as was proved in a federal court case. Remember how the fish farms use to be ruled by the provincial government. Morton took them to court and it was found that the federal government could not leave it to the province. It's not a provincial matter, it's federal. Your argument that if the provincial Environmental Assessment (on land) can be handed to the federal government then the federal government could hand over the ocean and it's resources to the province. You really need to improve your understanding of this country,it's governance, this province and it's governance. Perhaps a lesson on the constitutions, it's history, what it says and how to change it.

Back