what batteries to get???

albernifisher

Shopping around for batteries, need a starting and a deep cycle. Heard good things about the Costco brand ones, anyone have any opinions? group 24 or 27? Gel,lead or agm???

Costco 27's awesome batteries great price and warranty. I don't believe the 24's are Deep/Starters.

If your rich and have much money to blow buy Interstate batteries.

X2 on the Costco 27's- I run 3 and have been very happy with them both in terms of longevity and performance!

fish Assassin put down your chisel, it is worth spending 20-30 more on a battery to buy Canadian and in town service and free replacement..
6749892f77609b1d40ae50f2aadc23a2.jpg

f78bb19166a5c36fbfd570437e70b703.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
fish Assassin put down your chisel, it is worth spending 20-30 more on a battery to buy Canadian and in town service and free replacement

Jeffy WFT? Give it rest man........ Just trying to be helpful.

Maybe you use these discount batteries on you video game console but we are talking boating here.

This is that battery place in what I call Tohatsu Alley right? The alley between the chevron and the pub

Batteries are a safety matter. Don't cheap out.....

That is a marine deep cycle battery, 800 marine cranking amps, witch is for lots for an outboard, they come in all shapes and sizes.. , if you want to call someones business a "joke" maybe at least know what you are talking about first .. They are quality batteries , if it did fail for some strange reason they would deliver you a replacement to the dock, would costco do that? Sorry but i would take one over a costco battery anyday and i bet the price is cheaper, Interstate batteries a great batteries but pricey..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realize there are only a few facilties that actually make batteries. I believe the biggest being Johnson Battries whom makes most of them. Many places just put their own label on them. Johnson makes Interstate, energizer, Costco and 100's of others.

Its worth Googling..... Want me to do it for you? LOL Do it yourself :) Lol

Shopping around for batteries, need a starting and a deep cycle. Heard good things about the Costco brand ones, anyone have any opinions? group 24 or 27? Gel,lead or agm???

Interstate from Harbour Chandler. Reasonable pricing (no you don't have to be rich lol) and great warranty. If you have a problem with one take it back and they will deal with it. I have never had a problem with one :).

I don't know what the costco batteries cost but if we're talking 20-30 dollars difference over let's say a 5 year investment......its worth it IMHO.

I have 4 Centennial batteries on my boat. (2 groups of 2 in parallel.) one set is 7 years old and the other 8. 2 are deep cycle RV/Marine and 2 are heavy duty cranking. will replace 2 this year and 2 more next year but the batteries are still strong. we have battery warehouse here also and i might look to them for replacements this spring.... will checkout to see what they have anyways.

Interstate from Harbour Chandler. Reasonable pricing (no you don't have to be rich lol) and great warranty. If you have a problem with one take it back and they will deal with it. I have never had a problem with one :).

I don't know what the costco batteries cost but if we're talking 20-30 dollars difference over let's say a 5 year investment......its worth it IMHO.

They are both made by the same company, so I buy from whom ever has the best price and warranty.

I get my marine batteries from battery direct in Victoria...I pay about 140.00 for a good starting battery..I have had a lot of experience designing outdoor solar products that require similar batteries. We did experiment with on the discharging of batteries... As you know up here we have the worst solar conditions in winter, and we had to be sure the batteries would survive on worst case... Many of these enclosures were in isolated marine areas... From testing the cheaper ones you can see a huge difference. Where you see it is the expensive batteries are harder to kill...Each of the cell has a threshold voltage ..You go down past that you kill it... So the big I saw is it seemed that more expensive types could be recharged with minimal damage..But I believe it was can tire and some of kirkland brand we tested and it would not bounce back.

By far the best I have tested and put through the ringer Enerysis are the best.. The company that supplied our batteries at the time were battery direct so that's why I go there... Plus you get the free advice...

My last ones on my double eagle last 7 years before I replaced them before I sold it... I also charged them periodically during winter months..

I will see if I can find my receipt it was damn good battery...

So truthfully I think both batteries are good..But if you are not going to do maintenance I.E. charge them periodically than get expensive/good quality ones... Again this is not BS its just what I seen testing these things...

I get my marine batteries from battery direct in Victoria...I pay about 140.00 for a good starting battery..I have had a lot of experience designing outdoor solar products that require similar batteries. We did experiment with on the discharging of batteries... As you know up here we have the worst solar conditions in winter, and we had to be sure the batteries would survive on worst case... Many of these enclosures were in isolated marine areas... From testing the cheaper ones you can see a huge difference. Where you see it is the expensive batteries are harder to kill...Each of the cell has a threshold voltage ..You go down past that you kill it... So the big I saw is it seemed that more expensive types could be recharged with minimal damage..But I believe it was can tire and some of kirkland brand we tested and it would not bounce back.

By far the best I have tested and put through the ringer Enerysis are the best.. The company that supplied our batteries at the time were battery direct so that's why I go there... Plus you get the free advice...

My last ones on my double eagle last 7 years before I replaced them before I sold it... I also charged them periodically during winter months..

I will see if I can find my receipt it was damn good battery...

So truthfully I think both batteries are good..But if you are not going to do maintenance I.E. charge them periodically than get expensive/good quality ones... Again this is not BS its just what I seen testing these things...
I bought from Battery Direct in Burnaby for my boat. They weren't cheap that's for sure and they didn't last.

Even toured the warehouse as the company I worked with had a short lasting contract with them......Without shopping around I blindly bought batteries thinking I was getting a great battery for a good price..... Man was I wrong

They also labeled their batteries with many different names. Guessing thats normal for battery distributors

I recall the the guy telling me about how they were built stronger and wouldn't vibrate apart and how the plates were larger then any other competitor..... I bought in, what a mistake

Who knows I don't deal with Burnaby..Never had that experience myself.... But there are lots of batteries to choose from there.... I do know that most guys leave them sitting and never charge them and wonder why they last only few years...

Next battery question... do I run my main and kicker on the starting and use a ACR to keep the deep cycle charged?

Yes......

Great system. I have had zero problems with mine. Awesome set up and you will be glad you installed it. Look for a cheap on board battery charger as well Gary. I love the set up. So easy to keep them topped up and lasting longer. Like SV posted it will prolong the life of the batteries overall.

Back