Truck Tires

Tips Up

Looking for new truck tires for 1/2 ton.
Commuting, trailering, snow and logging roads.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks
Tips

I like Toyo Open Country 10 plys
Michelin quit ride, great traction, but I hate the soft side walls
BFG's good tires but often noisy
Good Year Tires I just stay away from

The Nitto Servere Service are awesome, they last 50% longer then any other tire. Made and designed for rock roads and back roads. Not loud on pavement either.

I get about 60,000 on a set of BFG AT's, no need for 10 ply on a half-ton but you can get them in 10 ply for about a 100 bucks more per set.. Cedar tire in Nanaimo.. best service anywhere, they also rotate the tire whenever you want no charge if purchased there. my tires were 200 less then the competition at Cedar tire.. if you live on the island it is worth the drive.

10 plys have stronger side walls. Side wall often are the cause of blow outs on gravel roads. Why wouldn't you want the best amour to prevent a blow out when going to the west coast on a fishing trip.

I too stay as far away from Goodyears as I can......grief with stock tires on several vehicles and premature wear. I live in the north and surrounded by trucks and get to look at my fair share of tires! lol At work we use to upgrade all the tires to Hankook's. I put a set on my 3/4 ton and really liked them. Five years old with low km's but absolutely no wear. They were the Hankook Dynapro A/T. They have a tread and look very similar to the Toyo's. I Just got a new one ton this spring and I have Dick Cepek Fun Country's on it and have been happy with them so far. I made the trip to the coast and they road well and very little hum for a deeper lug. I have heard good reviews on the Nitto's as well and they have a nice tread look too....IMO If you get a more aggresive tire keep an eye on how they start to wear and contact the road. With higher pressures and stiffer sidewalls they tend to cup a bit but by finding the right pressure you will get even tread wear.......:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I get about 60,000 on a set of BFG AT's, no need for 10 ply on a half-ton but you can get them in 10 ply for about a 100 bucks more per set.. Cedar tire in Nanaimo.. best service anywhere, they also rotate the tire whenever you want no charge if purchased there. my tires were 200 less then the competition at Cedar tire.. if you live on the island it is worth the drive.

...what he said.

We used to run for BFG's AT at work, but after avg 35000 k on a set since they went to the snowflake, we dropped them (thats on 8 trucks). Ran Hankooks Dyno AT and they went 50000k and are a great tire. We now either run Goodyear Duratracs or Toyo Open Contry AT. The Toyo's are a good tire, but they are not that good in the snow/ice. The GY Duratracs are awesome tire and so far they are what we are now running. Up in the Oil patch, this is the most popular tire for workers in the bush.

I am running the Cambodian Tire Goodyear Territory's (close to the same as the Duratracs) and so far I really like them, great in the snow, mud, gravel and on the hwy. Only complaint is the hwy noise is there. There is a lot of positive comments on the 4x4 sites about these tires. Another plus the the CT full replacement warranty for $28 for the first 5 years.

I am not a Goodyear tire fan since a set I ran back in 89 seperated while running to Bamfield and they would not cover them. Never ran them again until last year.....I guess time will tell.

Cheers

SS

Duratrac!!nm,, best i have had..

BF Goodrich... T/A..They are wicked in snow .....They outperform a lot of snow and off road tires I had. I think you still get a 100 or 200 rebate when you buy new.

Nokian makes a great 10 ply AT. We run them on our work trucks and get great mileage out of them.

I'm looking seriously at the Nitto Terra Grapplers for my new tow rig.

I'm done with BFG's. Like SS said, you just don't get the mileage out of them.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

That is because BF went to snow rating softer tire.... That's a good point Graham your down in Vic not much snow...May want to look at the ones suggested. I looked at those Nokian Sculpin mentioned. I run the BF because I don't want to have summer/winter tires. I just want one set year round. Up here we get tons of snow, and mountain terrain.

I'm looking seriously at the Nitto Terra Grapplers for my new tow rig.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

John,

I don't think you will be happy with the nitto's for lifespan on a tow rig. They don't seem to stand up well to a heavy rig. I ran a set of terra grapplers on my super duty before replacing them with toyo open country at's and got twice the life out of the toyos. They have basically the same tread pattern and are made in the same plant but the toyos are substantially heavier and seem to last a lot longer in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant say enough about how the newer Toyo Open Country AT2's I put on my dually last fall have performed. Fairly quiet (for a diesel truck), smooth ride, no hydroplaning at all (those who drive the island highway know what I'm talking about) and performed well in the snow. Toyo has backed the AT2's with an 80,000 km treadwear warranty. That's for the LT sizes not just passenger tires. I'm pretty picky about my tires and having to buy 6 at a time, I was looking for something that would last, have a bit of an aggressive look, not pick up a ton of rocks on gravel roads and not break the bank.

The BFG AT's are great tires, he did say he was looking for tires for a 1/2 ton, the reason they don't last on heavy truck is the softer compound,I am on my 3rd set on my hemi and wouldn't hesitate on buying a fourth set.. had he been looking for tires for a tow vehicle I would suggest Michelins.. they make a very hard compound that last a long time even on one ton trucks..IMO you get what you pay for, all the best tires cost a little more.

John,

I don't think you will be happy with the nitto's for lifespan on a tow rig. They don't seem to stand up well to a heavy rig. I ran a set of terra grapplers on my super duty before replacing them with toyo open country at's and got twice the life out of the toyos. They have basically the same tread pattern and are made in the same plant but the toyos are substantially heavier and seem to last a lot longer in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight Andrew. I will look at the Toyo's :).

Thanks

Have had BF All Terrains on all of my trucks. Time for change for some of the reasons already stated.

I am on the ski hill with family often and I hunt so snow and wet weather handling is important.
I don't o further off road than logging roads with my truck.

I will check out some of the suggested tires.

Thanks Tips

I am also on the toyo bandwagon, great tire low noise, excellent wear. I just put the nitto tires on my work truck and they are noisy and aren't wearing all that great. I run about 100km highway per day and 50 km off road a day.

Back