Rodgers Fishing Lodge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busterbrown

I have heard that they are planning to purchase some commercial halibut quota this year, allowing their guests to purchase incremental halibut. We had planned to go there with our boat this year, however if true we will not support them. Anyone else heard anything???

If confirmed, and you make the decision to go elsewhere then I commend and applaud you for doing what in my opinion is right.

Looks like we have to change plans. No f*#kin way I can support any resort that takes part in the halibut quota purchase. If anyone hears of other resorts buying quota please post here to help those that care make a educated choice on wher they spend their $

So I read their reasoning and how it will work at their lodge.

"In other words, if a customer chooses to retain any halibut over the legal allowable size, than the
on the spot cost of the halibut will be based on the rate of $5.00 a pound."

That is illegal you can't go catch a big one and then buy quota you have to own the quota before you leave the dock. Am I confused or is the quota transferable before going fishing. Seems F'd up to me and a terrible decision by the lodge. My other question is can American guests buy quota too?

I think the loop here is that the customer is not leasing quota. He/she would merely be paying the service provider a higher fee to take advantage of an option that the lodge is offering through the quota they have leased. I know it is the same thing but I did say I think the Loop is.

I agree with you I think it was a bad decision by the lodge as well.

That is how it works, the lodge buys the incremental quota and once their guest has filled his recreational catch quota, he/she can catch as many as they like for $5.00 per dressed pound. And yes non-residents are welcome

I would say watch how you say things on this. I cannot think of anything that would outrage more the anglers on this coast but please be civil in what you say. No excuses to close down what may be the most critical thread to the very survival of salt water sportfishing in BC ever. If someone gets so emotional they get out of line please delete the post not the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we have to change plans. No f*#kin way I can support any resort that takes part in the halibut quota purchase. If anyone hears of other resorts buying quota please post here to help those that care make a educated choice on wher they spend their $

The BEST thing you can do is contact them today and tell them that you will not be supporting a lodge that purchases quota. If you're a past guest even better, let them know you'd love to come back but can't if they are involved with this BS:

Rodgers fishing lodge:
http://rodgersfishinglodge.com/
1 (800) 429-5288
rodgersfishinglodge@yahoo.com

Don't delete this thread mods, companies that partake in this BS need to be exposed - if you cover it up for them you're only making things worse.

I just sent an Email to Rodgers Lodge via their website expressing my disappointment with their halibut quota purchase.

I am curious as to whether a sport fisherman can purchase commercial quota and thereby circumvent the sport regulations regarding maximum size. That seems a little odd, but our government does odd things. Anyone know if that is accurate?

Shane Johnson

I just sent an Email to Rodgers Lodge via their website expressing my disappointment with their halibut quota purchase.

I am curious as to whether a sport fisherman can purchase commercial quota and thereby circumvent the sport regulations regarding maximum size. That seems a little odd, but our government does odd things. Anyone know if that is accurate?

Shane Johnson

My impression is that DFO is so desperate to get some buy in to this despised program that they are willing to allow someone who is willing to do so to get away with just about anything. In order to keep the entire quota program from collapsing they need to have a transfer mechanism. If they can’t make this work eventually political pressure will force a mechanism that is actually favorable to the sport sector.

I am a past customer and a current customer as I had a booking for this June. I have cancelled the booking as of today in an email to them, I am waiting to hear back about it. I wrote a civil letter to them explaining my displeasure with they're decision and that I can't support it with my business. I'll wait to hear back. I really liked going there but there are 2 sides to this issue and I'm on only on one.

I hope they have the biggest boats when it comes to getting into those fishy spots during the summer fishing season. If I was in their area they would not get an inch from me all season long. No help, no communication at all on the radio....on the ignore list and totally on your own!!!

I am a past customer and a current customer as I had a booking for this June. I have cancelled the booking as of today in an email to them, I am waiting to hear back about it. I wrote a civil letter to them explaining my displeasure with they're decision and that I can't support it with my business. I'll wait to hear back. I really liked going there but there are 2 sides to this issue and I'm on only on one.

Good call firelight. Thanks for posting.

I highly recommend other clients to follow suit.

Write some letters to them and tell them you won't stay or charter with them until they stop buying and selling off the quota of halibut that every Canadian owns already.

that's incorrect - they state clearly in their newsletter they are charging $5/pound for extra fish - as well the entire group on the boat and split the cost.

You are saying that what he heard is incorrect? How do you know what he heard? It might reflect the ad, it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back