Pender Bluffs

Discussion in '2015 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by Weinstein, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Weinstein

Weinstein Member

Looking to head over to the Bluffs on Sunday to see if any Sockeye action has started, any reports?

2. SSIREELACTION

SSIREELACTION Member

no sockeye yet lots of boats

3. reid

reid Member

Fished the bluffs yesterday afternoon after taking the wife to the saltspring market. Lots of stuff showing on the sounder, lots of boats. Only a pink to show for it.

I didn't see anyone else bringing in fish, but also wasn't looking that hard.

4. Weinstein

Weinstein Member

Out this morning at 7:30-2:00pm, one good size sockeye in the boat and 3 smaller ones released. Lots of boats but not much action. Hopefully it will pick up as the days pass. The keeper was in bloody nose anchovies, 90ft.

5. Olde School

Olde School Well-Known Member

Fished Bluffs yesterday 2 - 6:30pm. One hit. Some fish on finder. One other boat in the area had one small keeper. Trying again today.

6. Rum Buddies

Rum Buddies Active Member

I should be out this weekend as well. Much rather enjoy the sun and pick off a few sockeye then sit in the fog in sooke!

With the heat and dry weather they'll be stacking up real soon.

7. Olde School

Olde School Well-Known Member

No sox after two long days at bluffs.

8. Rum Buddies

Rum Buddies Active Member

that's not what I want to hear Smiley! Any signs of life out there at all?

9. High Time

High Time Active Member

Over 90% of the Fraser run is coming through Johnstone Straits. Not helping Pender.

10. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

How did you know its 90% where did you get that number from?

11. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Active Member

12. carpeweekend

carpeweekend Active Member

Have washed hooks for the past two days on the bluffs with nothing to show for it. Today seemed even quieter. Out of 20 boats or so, saw 1 fish (looked to be about 12 inches long) netted. Switched up from Sockeye gear to try for Springs after a couple of hours and tried deeper (80 - 125 feet) - one cut plug, one hootchie, and one of Andrew P's spoons. One hit on the cut plug but that's it. Got a nice whale show later in the morning and called it quits.

13. ziggy

ziggy Well-Known Member

Fished the Bluffs yesterday and Nada! Marked some bait but no sign of the elusive sox! Fair number of boats but I didn't see anyone get anything!

14. Weinstein

Weinstein Member

I'll be out Saturday morning, hopefully pick up at least one again!

15. Sparkie

Sparkie Member

Fished Pender Bluffs this morning. 7:30 to noon. 3 sox to the boat....lost 2. Net genie problems. Good sized fish 5 to 8lbs. Saw a few others netted. Not a big run yet but fish around.

16. Weinstein

Weinstein Member

Hey Sparkie, nice work, how deep were you running the gear? I was getting them around the 100ft mark.

17. Sparkie

Sparkie Member

2 @ 60. One at 80. Green flashers.

18. tincan

tincan Well-Known Member

Will be at pender bluffs tomorrow. Hoping some nice sox move into the area soon. I'm sure it's a zoo out there today. Any morning reports so far?

19. Pudsey

Pudsey New Member

A little off topic but I am new to the area and thinking about setting my prawn traps while fishing the Bluffs. I launch at Cowichan Bay and am wondering about where to drop the traps between there and Pender Bluffs. Does anyone have any suggestions they are willing to share? Thanks.

20. carpeweekend

carpeweekend Active Member

Tried early this a.m. Lines in by 5:30 a.m. Fished until 8:30. No bites and only saw one other fish netted so it appears that it still early for the main run of Sox

Pudsey, as far as dropping prawn traps near the bluffs, the commercial guys do catch prawns successfully earlier in the year but it hasn't been very good for prawns in the area. Also, beware of the extremely strong currents along the bluffs, especially now (full moon today). It really rips through there so if you want to try, make sure you attach plenty of weight to your traps.