Outside Canada Fishing

halimark

Hello All

As some may know, not around for any BC fishing for awhile so thaught I would start a thread and show some different options. Heres my latest. Will post as I catch fish in all countries I try in, certainly not on a fishing trip and this may stop at any moment but I will fish whenever I can. Managed a few mahi mahi over the last couple days, did bring my own gear but boat had penn internationals and was very reasonable. Enjoy

HM

Attachments

• P4090575.JPG
    P4090575.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20170409_084937.jpg
    20170409_084937.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 95
Well another great adventure done. Fishing was slower, sails, small baracuda and even managed a remora? The food, and adventure was top notch. Now planning next.

HM

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5156.JPG
    IMG_5156.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5083.JPG
    IMG_5083.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 57
Go fish with Raymond Baez out go Bud & Mary's Marina in Ismoranda Florida summertime. Caught 15 Dorado the size of your's; went in 2 hours early because I was too worn-out. Back at the marina we had more fish than the other 4 charter boats combined. Raymond says it's because his boat is faster & get's to the bird's he see's faster. I guess 800HP of Yanmar's on a 32ft center console is the way to go.

Would like to fish Florida some day, on other side of planet now. You are correct about fastest boat, ours had twin 200 hp 4 strokes, his other boat has twin 350's. Did get more fish, chase the birds, 2 white birds means definate fish under them, no trolling for those fish, we pitched live bait. His 3rd boat is 75ft and to much luxury for this redneck. What an experience, jungle, food to die for, awesome people and the fishing was still great. Next fishing spot?? Shri Lanka.

HM

I was in India working for a bit. Food to die from; got sick & 6 years later still having problems. Went fishing on Rarotonga in the Cook Islands, which is closely associated with New Zealand - clean fairly modern place. There is a FAD buoy one mile from the Harbor. We were still fishing & the captain noticed a couple of 400 lb Blue Marlin under the boat; they had chased some YF tuna under the boat - he grabbed the gaff & snagged a 50 lb YFT. We ended up with 3 YF' & had 3 nice Wahoo chewed us off. Boats are the other end of the spectrum 24 ft Bayliner dunno how it ended up in Raro. We then went to Aitutaki for 5 days - no fishing but the lagoon is unreal; supposed to be some of the best Bonefishing in the World. We were there in May.

For the Florida Dorado we trolled dead bait with a spinning reel - bail open, finger holding the line like when casting. Get a strike, free-spool for 3 seconds, then engage. Boat stops & skipper casts & retrieves more dead bait to get the followers. At one stop he had 4 additional fish hooked-up waiting in the rod holders for me. Pretty interesting that all these places around the word use different methods for catching Dorado & swear their method is the only way to catch them. Went on a 2 day trip out of San Diego back in 2000. My favorite method was casting a 4 oz jig to the edge of the kelp patty we were stopped at while everybody else fished live bait. Small fish (Dorado & YFT's) but lot's of them. Back at port 1 boat had 4 Big Eye's over 100 lb.

I enjoy your posts; thanks, Eric

Hello All

Ericl You are so right, just left India, don't want to hurt anyones feelings but it was impossible to fish there becauce there was to much garbage floating on every waterway I could find. So no fishing report, did rent car and driver for drive around, eat lots of curry dishes, (chicken, mutton, seafood) not what I am used to very spicy but good. The poverty and treatment of certain people was eye opening. Anyone in Canada who complains about anything should spend a few days there. CANADA is #1 world class for every thing. Next fishing spot here I come, time to plan.

HM

Hello

Well Shri Lanka was not as expected (at least within this 100km area), seems I have hit a stop. Internet was looking good for some coastal fishing but when looking at boat, think not. Seems theres a rule that max HP is 40, on a rickidy 30+ ft boat at $250 US for 6 hrs, I think not. Same old polution problem as India so now on to next stop.

HM

Hello All

An unexpected turn of events allowed me to return to Sport Fishing Asia and my Malaysian connection. Had another repeat of the exact same as last time, 4 days, travel room and board, 2 full 12 hr days with boat to myself, beach house and amazing food but this time there were more fish around. What an awesome time, again local food, boat and crew top notch, even managed to see a wild boar, python, civet cat and a ton of monkeys. Kuala Rompin is the place, not super fancy but amazing for a redneck like me, can't imagine Aug-Oct when things get real fishy. Hunting for packs of sails, pitching live caught baits or drifting with set out live bait lines waiting for reel screems. I had a bass outfit with 10 lb line and 20 lb leader out for some smaller species, guess what rod a 50 lb sail smacked? Line burner and chase started, landed to side of boat and good recouvery for live release. Lots of mackeral, queenfish, trevally and other incidental species. What an experience, im living the life.

HM

Attachments

• P6020648 sail.jpg
    P6020648 sail.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 36
  • P6020659 hound.jpg
    P6020659 hound.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P6020663 Queen.jpg
    P6020663 Queen.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 35
Well back for the last post on thread, lots of oportunities in the last few country's turned up as no go's for different reasons. Until yesterday, after a few days hanging on during the typhoon we stopped for some RR, a swim on the International date line and then some open ocean fishing. A few minutes after last swimmer exited ocean I was given the OK to fish, few minutes later big fish spotted in my slick, toss in the salmon belly strip and instant reel screaming. An epic battle commenced and 1.5 hrs later one big old tired out fish. Wire leader is 40" fish estimated at 8' and 200 lbs+, pics does not give justice but they sure can fight, all were hungry and ready to eat but none were hurt, all released all be it with fast rust hooks still in mouth corner. Hands to important, today I am tired and showing a few bruises. Its been an awesome 5 months, seen lots of poor, and sad people without, had some fun, but overall sure wakes a guy up to what we have at home in BC, now want to get some salmon and hali and ecsape this relenting heat and humidity. Cant wait, so glad BC is home, makes a guy so much more apreciate.

HM

Attachments

• DSC_0085.JPG
    DSC_0085.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 36
Yeah, but nothing like fishing when it just too hot outside.
Ever thought about a Long Range out of San Diego?

After many days fishing around the world I have come to the conclusion that good old BC is still best for temp, Alaska great also but more rain, much prefer to have a jacket for the cool westerlies, and absolutly love the fog at 100 ft and a jacket, watching it burn off over the head or JDF while salmon or hali fishing than having to drink 1 ltr per hour or risk dehydration. For sails it was 38 degrees and 80 % humidity, instant wet skin, 120 spf for sunscreen, yes after 3 months you climatize and can feel your body adapting but still dam hot, tons of fun catching wild fish but the heat does effect you.

In my job I have done 100's of long range's from Diego, visited Hawaii 62X, would love to do a designated 3-7 day trip on a somewhat fancy boat and catch the bigger, wahoo, and tuna 100lb+. Over the last 30 years some Captains have seen schools of smaller fish, stopped and let us get some.

HM

Back