New Yamaha F200

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hi guy's

The wife has given approval for a new motor for the boat, when is the best time to go to a dealer before, during or after the boat show? Does it make any sense to look down in the US? Has anybody ever bought a motor from an online dealer? Prices seem to good to be true. I am planing on getting a Yamaha F200 4 cylinder as its weight is exactly the same as my 135 opti. Any recommendations for good dealer here in the lower mainland. I was out in Abbotsford a few weeks back at checkpoint they didn't seem all too interested in my business. What would you guy's think a good deal would be on one of these?

Capt

I Buy my parts from Andy @ SIMyamaha down east as prices were great and shipping was quick,(better then local)
I notice they did have quite a few motors on there too, dont know if it makes sense to bring up from there but worth a look.
I have spoken to them over the phone too and always a great help, make sure the US warranties are good in Canada if you do g that route

where is the closest dealer certified shop? maybe a different brand? alot of good choices in the 200hp dept.... suzuki/honda---yami, where you live or do your boating may influence this...

always before the shows. This time of year is a great time to pick up a motor as dealers live the winter revenue. I was in the boat business for 6 years and we always sold cheaper in winter

The cross boarder warranty may bite Ya bad. First boat I brought up from the USA in 2007 the warranty was void once it left the USA. Same as my one year old Dodge truck when I brought it up in 2007. I guess it protects the Canadian dealers BUT warranty should be honoured anywhere, Kinda odd that all recalls are covered . Not sure if warranty coverage is the same now.

Make sure your boat is rated for 200hp otherwise your insurance may not cover it. I have a 150 Opti and was also thnking about a bigger o/b however my boat is rated at 175hp max.

Hi guy's

The wife has given approval for a new motor for the boat, when is the best time to go to a dealer before, during or after the boat show? Does it make any sense to look down in the US? Has anybody ever bought a motor from an online dealer? Prices seem to good to be true. I am planing on getting a Yamaha F200 4 cylinder as its weight is exactly the same as my 135 opti. Any recommendations for good dealer here in the lower mainland. I was out in Abbotsford a few weeks back at checkpoint they didn't seem all too interested in my business. What would you guy's think a good deal would be on one of these?

Capt

The cross boarder warranty may bite Ya bad. First boat I brought up from the USA in 2007 the warranty was void once it left the USA. Same as my one year old Dodge truck when I brought it up in 2007. I guess it protects the Canadian dealers BUT warranty should be honoured anywhere, Kinda odd that all recalls are covered . Not sure if warranty coverage is the same now.

Yamaha and Honda would not honour the warranty in Canada for motors purchased in the US several years ago Mercury does . Not sure about Zukes

Dealers always say they make so little on new motors, so one would think they would want warranty work no matter where it comes from. When I was on my rant in 2007, Yamaha USA told me they can't interface with Yamaha Canada, apparently 2 separate companies. At that time only Mercury offered a Cross border warranty.

Sure the dealers want the warranty work, but they want to be paid for it. If Yama Canada won't pay for an engine under Yama US's warranty, then the dealer won't do the work. All sorts of reasons why cross border warranties are so rare, not many of them valid as far as we consumers are concerned.

Hey was at the dealer this morning, real close to signing a deal. I am however a bit concerned about the size of this motor. Maybe it just looks big in the show room, do any of you have any experience putting an F200 on a 2002 trophy pro? it will be replacing an optimax 135hp which has similar weight but just the general sizes seems much larger.

Capt

Marty,
maybe do a search on thehulltruth, Im sure its been done there by someone

Hey Marty ....just a thought before you pull the trigger: If you like to tilt your motor such that the leg clears the water at your moorage, you may want to find out if the F200 on your transom/well config will do that. Also if your boat is rated at less max pwr you might want to make sure your transom is in tip top shape before pwring with more than max recommended. Also not sure you have looked at other possibility or perhaps saving a bit of coin but I'd suggest that a 150-175 might be all the pwr you need depending on use/load. The 20 Trophypro is not near as heavy as my Grady and at 22' she does quite well with 200 2s HPDI ( F225 4s being the typical 4s match on that 22)
Just a thought before its too late .......

Hey Marty......I'm running a Evinrude Etec (2013) and this is my first time. I love it, has lots of power, lighter and burns gas alot better than my Yama that I had. But it is up to you which motor that you like and what is best for you. :)

The F200 does have a pretty cool troll feature that you can dial up thru the smart gauges in 50 rpm increments, wish my F150's could
also I believe the new 200's are lightweights now too if I remember correctly, either way its a pretty slick motor

I know how hard it is to make the decision of what to buy. tough problem to have!
I just repowered with a mercury 150 four stroke on my 22ft starcraft. original motor was a 225 evinrude. Bit of drop in top end from 45 to 40 mph but couldn't afford to stay up there long with the old engine the way it drank fuel! merc has the troll feature and is quiet so i have been using it for trolling and love it. No problem with getting up on plane. Motor is super easy to maintain. according to reports its closer an actual 165hp output. good luck with your decision.

Hey Marty.........I had to repower one of my Yamaha F225's in a bit of a hurry last spring (long sad story). I ended up calling all the local Yamaha dealers both on the Lower Mainland and the Island for a price. I couldn't believe the differences in price for the same motor - almost $3000 difference between the lowest and highest price. In the end, I bought from Port Alberni although I live on the Sunshine Coast and got a local mechanic to do the install and couldn't be happier on how it turned out. Shipping motors is cheap. My advice...shop around.

Back