Needlefish Spoon Prototype Test - A New KILLER Emerges!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronNoggin

HiYa Folks! Most here are likely aware of my fascination with chasing salmon along the WCVI. These days there is quite the selection of weapons to deploy in that pursuit, some might even suggest perhaps a little too much to choose from! LOL! But amongst that arsenal, the one thing I've always found lacking has been a spoon designed to successfully imitate Needlefish. This little prey item represents a rather large component of the diet for most salmon species, and especially so for those huge springs we encounter out there.

PacificSandLanceAdult_1.jpg

While there are some decent hootchies that do the job, I greatly prefer to engage the fish without a flasher between us. So, over the years, I've experimented with a LOT of the various spoons out there, and found that while some do work, they simply were not consistent enough for me. What I've been seeking is something that will get a response pretty much every time I send it down, in a word, DEADLY.

About 4 years ago I decided that if the market didn't have what I wanted in this regard, perhaps I'd just have to Cowboy Up and design it myself. So, I sat down at the drawing board, and began to fiddle with a few ideas I thought might do the job. Over the next few years, I took my idea to several manufacturers, both here and offshore. To a one their responses were: Cost prohibitive to produce, too many bends to be practical, too complicated a design and finish... I really didn't agree, and surmised that this was likely their way of simply brushing me off. Jaded by their responses, I thought the idea would simply never wither and die a quiet death...

But the thing was something I wanted, and wanted BAD. Then this spring I casually mentioned the idea on one of the Forums, and to my pleasant surprise, one of the Members responded suggesting he might be willing to take the task on of getting the idea to the next step! So, I partnered up with him, fired off the specs, and anxiously awaited the first of the blanks that he ran off for testing...

Then a package arrived in the mail! Kinda surprising that something as simple as a handful of oval brass blanks could get me so pumped, but that it did! I immediately set out applying varying bends, concaves and more to the blanks, so many varying types it was tough to keep track! Afternoons found me standing in one of the local flows, dressed for the chase of steel, but instead staring wide eyed at the varying actions of the spoon the different combinations created! Standing mid-stream with that spoon dangling 5 feet off my rod must have been comical to those that wandered by methinks! After trying many variations of bends, hook sizes, flipper tails etc, I finally found the action I was looking for: a few flips like many spoons do, graduating to the distinct snake-like swimming action of a mature needlefish! Walla! The time for a REAL test was now at hand...

Late April found me working springs off the troller along the "Highway" out of Nootka. Nary a needlefish to be found in their tummies or on the sounder - krill and the odd herring were the items of choice. But I decided to give the prototype a whirl, and sent it down. Immediate reaction! Good Spring ON! Over the course of the afternoon, the little bugger outperformed our best hootchies, as the springs bypassed them from below to get at the spoon! After a dozen or so of the Large variety, I was satisfied. Even without needlefish around, the fish were convinced!!

A little better than a week later, we found ourselves off Solander Island / Cape Cook:

Solander.jpg

The nearshore areas there are comprised of huge needlefish beds, and the springs were working them. Down went the spoon again - time for the best test I could come up with. Let the fish decide I mumbled as the spoon slid beneath the waves...
And again the reaction was nearly instant! A rather large spring let me know he liked the little offering, and that was shortly followed by many many more!! Approaching the number 30, my Partner finally demanded I pull the spoon and tuck it away. HUH? Lose that one what the hell will you send to the plant he queried. That one there is a KILLER. Reproduce it, and it alone. Don't risk losing it...
Kinda hurt to take it off the gear, but I realized he was right. Couldn't help but Grin though - a long time in the making being realized!!

I did take a good handful of pictures, but the damn memory card in the camera failed - lost them all. Dammit!

For testing purposes, I had simply taken one of the brass blanks, shot a coat of aluminum Tremclad over it, and painted it up with permanent Sharpies. Not an overly tough finish by any means, and it didn't take the fish long to beat most of that, and the holographic eye right off the blank. Still caught them quickly though, so I surmised the action was as much or even more key than the finish.

Here's a shot of what the spoon looked like when I pulled it - Ravaged!

NeedleRavaged.jpg

The eventual product will be much more refined obviously! Nickle/Silver plating on top of the brass, and quality airbrush paint jobs to finish it off. Loads of work remain to be done, but we're finally on the way, and I couldn't be much happier!!

Here's the design template:

NeedleFinal.jpg

Kinda wrestled with myself whether to put that one up or not. Hate to have someone snitch the idea this far into the game! Ah, but if they did, they'd soon understand why it took four bloody years of finicky fiddling to get the action just right!! So, that concern has been somewhat alleviated!!

Hopefully we'll have them up and ready for this year's impending offshore season! Already have so damn many orders I don't know when I'll find the time to get out there and use them myself, but you can bet your bottom dollar I WILL!!

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, let us know when they are ready
i know i could use a few as needlefish are the major bait source where we fish.

Wow Nog I liking what you're working on here! I too have been dissapointed with the lack of a decent needlefish spoon. I'm no machinist or designer but if your interested you can enlist me to test out any prototypes you got going. Good on ya for working on this.

I love your lifestyle Nog! Fishing, more Fishing and making fishing gear... pretty cool...

Matt

i have had success this past year with the coho killer series ,(closest needlefishy lookin hardware out there ive used ) i made a couple of mods to them , most important was puting a swivel on them , i found that without the swivel , the twisting an turning , spinning of the fish would destroy them pretty quick ,
i also found a very similar bend to what you have is key , BUT , the bigger fish would most always bend em , or slightly straighten them ,
so , unless ya have a good memory of what that perfect roll or flutter was , i would leave a gooder one on deck on stanby , bend it back up as per ,
send it back down with confidence , the longer thinner shape does take a beating , looks great though , love beat up spoons !!!

m2b

Felix

... i also found a very similar bend to what you have is key , BUT , the bigger fish would most always bend em , or slightly straighten them ,
so , unless ya have a good memory of what that perfect roll or flutter was , i would leave a gooder one on deck on stanby , bend it back up as per , send it back down with confidence , the longer thinner shape does take a beating , looks great though , love beat up spoons !!!

Hey & Hi Felix,

Part of the reason I took so long developing this was I wanted it thick enough not to bend easily under (jaw) pressure and yet still have a very good action. Took some doing alright! But I am more than satisfied with the results obtained! 39 Smiles to that single one pictured, off the wire on the troller, and NO distortion nor bending! SWEET!

Original has gone to the shop! Should be pumping them out soon methinks! And that (finally!) makes me One Happy Customer!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Looks awesome Nog! Been looking for a good needlefish imitation for years - tried those Cabela's soft baits you mentioned a few years back, but they just weren't durable enough to be a mainstay in the tackle box. Apart from the odd jumbo herring, needlefish are the only bait I've ever found in the stomachs of chinooks caught offshore of Kyuquot! ... With thousands of those little heads poking out of the sand, I can definitely see why they find them such an attractive food choice.. keep us posted!

Hey & Hi Felix,

Part of the reason I took so long developing this was I wanted it thick enough not to bend easily under (jaw) pressure and yet still have a very good action. Took some doing alright! But I am more than satisfied with the results obtained! 39 Smiles to that single one pictured, off the wire on the troller, and NO distortion nor bending! SWEET!

Original has gone to the shop! Should be pumping them out soon methinks! And that (finally!) makes me One Happy Customer!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

best of luck Mat , they do look very fishy , keep me in the loop , love ta pull a few around in July for the bruizers : ) ,
my bigger fish were mostly hit on needlefishy gear, , ( sorta by fluke lol ) rooky sent one down , was deadly all summer

FD

Spine tingling report Nog

Looking forward to what follows! :)

I agree. There is a lack of needle fish products on the shelves.
I made some teaser heads for needle fish out of regular anchovy teaser heads.
After I catch a salmon I get some fresh needle fish from inside it for use in these heads.
They work just fine.
IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

Nice spoon nog. I would love to have some in watermelon with a glow back about 4.5 to5 inches long!!! When can I order it???

Nog
Can you anticipate a release date? the ordering process, is that through you or are you going to market it commercially??

waiting with baited breath

Nog
Can you anticipate a release date? the ordering process, is that through you or are you going to market it commercially??

Gonna be a few weeks at least. The shop has to do their thing, then I've got to get 'em painted. After 4 years, the weeks remaining still seem like a loooooong time! :D

I'll do the initial orders, but there is no way I'll be able to keep up methinks. So, will probably toss the commercial end to a Buddy who's already set up in that capacity...

Will indeed post when they become available...

Cheers,
Nog

Matt those are fantastic. I will buy a handful off you when they are ready. Also, I have a pretty good idea where you could off load a couple hundred of those... PM sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back