Mercruiser 350 starter

bullyjack

After only 20 hrs the starter is not engaging the ring gear. Motor, leg, everthing is brand new. It has a mini hightorque starter on a 383 stroker and has allways been loud and made a growling sound, didn't like it when i first picked up the boat from the mechanic but they said thats the way these starters are. Just looking for opinions on wether to replace it with the same or a regular mercruiser starter?

At least you can shim a Chevy. Most rebuilt starters I have encountered for many years now use Chinese components and at work we have found the drive gear is marginally bigger in diameter and tooth thickness, don't know why they can't get it right. Lordco should have shims to put between the block and the starter. One end of the shim is slotted so you will have to remove outside bolt and loosen the inside one and slide the shim in and retighten. Keep adding till it sounds better however you have a problem if it's not quiet after adding a couple thick ones. My reduction is quiet also. Good luck!

K, thanks. I think i'll send it in. It's hard to get into neutral, and wont go into reverse now. There is also a leak from the leg trim pump down low somewhere and is leaking into the builge. So much for the 6 grand i spent on the leg last year.

shift interrupter is not working, do you here the engine stop when you are tring to shift it?

Stop? Older alphas were just a dog clutch I think, put in quick to reduce clankig during engagement. Engine isn't going to slow down until it has prop load. What year and drive?

It all worked on the driveway. Rightnow i can't start it to see if the interupter is working or not. The idle is fine at 650-700. I changed to a brovo3 dualprop from a alphagen1 cause of the hp the stroker puts out. Not sure of tbe year of the leg, will have to check tbe vin# 's

Update. Starters shot, ring gear shot, reverse shiftercable shot, leg trimpump resivoir shot. After some horsetrading of some alphagen1 parts and leg i had laying around, all new parts, gaskets, going to check alignment of leg and motor, i do all the major labour and the mechanic will give me a hand when needed and using his hoist, 1200$.

Back