Halibut opening

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Roberth, Feb 3, 2018.

1. casper5280

casper5280 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. profisher

profisher Well-Known Member

SV yes more help is what we need so his new group will be welcomed. Keep us up to date SG.

3. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

I agree.

4. SerengetiGuide

SerengetiGuide Well-Known Member

Maybe in the fall after we leave crap ton of TAC in water SV. Want to make sure the last paragraph doesn't go missed...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  5. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

6. ILHG

ILHG Well-Known Member

When do we find out what DFO's final decision is? I hear we should expect them to follow the recommendations, but some hope would be nice.

7. bigbruce

bigbruce Crew Member

Right - good to wait so we can go through all this crap again...

8. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

We have to push back NOW! __ because next year who knows what the TAC will be? Once we come down this road of diminishing sizes I think there will be no going back! For the Lodges-once your customers have gone to Alaska they won't be back! Are you all going to buy quota to try and keep your hali- business? If I were a suspicious guy it almost looks like a plot worthy of Machiavelli or Medici to make the experimental hali quota work!

Twinstrike, bigdogeh and trophywife like this.
  9. Tips Up

Tips Up Well-Known Member

Bingo Spring Fever. I keep noting this issue that is getting missed in all the negotiation to work within the current allocation.

I can go tomorrow and get my 100lber. All I have to do is pay the piper.

Our issues lie in Allocation and forcing us into purchasing "experimental" program. How long does it stay experimental. Until we accept it?

DFO and Minister need to look at the allocation and resolve.
    Commercial leave fish in the water year after year and we are supposed to buy it?
    Rec anglers use up our measly portion and have a need for more to feed our families.

DFO and Minister need to be addressing the Commercial issue that they have more than they need.
    Fish it or lose it!

Only then can we start managing areas individually based on stocks and pressure. (which I believe increase pressure needs to be monitored)
    Only then does it be come a conservation issue.

We are bending over again.

bigdogeh, trophywife and casper5280 like this.
  10. calmsea

calmsea Well-Known Member

Ok, so let me ask you this: how are you going to help out rectifying this situation, TipsUp?

11. screaminreels

screaminreels Member

Only asking couse I don't know the answer or where to find it how much has the commercial left in the water over the last ten years on a year to year basis. Would this not show a pattern we could use to take what was left behind per say as a percentage to add to ours . New to this so please forgive me if already considered

gokart and wildmanyeah like this.
  12. Gear'n'beer!

Gear'n'beer! Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but previous experience has shown that rec dudes in my area will be keeping fish outside the size slot.....they will keep what they catch. I'm not proud of that position of halibut fishing but it is what it is. This current recommendation will make it worse. I'm personally thinking this reg will make a whole bunch of fishermen/women into poachers. No clue how they will be able to enforce this. My 2 cents

13. SpringFever552

SpringFever552 Well-Known Member

I for one will continue to fish "within the regs"..
    My incentive is to set an example for my kids

Old Blue, Cuba Libre and Sculpin like this.
  14. profisher

profisher Well-Known Member

Regs don't make poachers..shitty attitudes do.

15. fish brain

fish brain Active Member

You will always find those people who have disregard for the regulations no matter what they are or where they are.

16. Stizzla

Stizzla Well-Known Member

Nobody here drives 91kmph in a 90 zone right?!

17. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

Not the place to discuss obeying or not obeying potential unjust, unfair or ill thought out regulations. If people are talking about them in that light and won't obey them then they usually do not stand. Now is the time to make your thoughts known before the regs are in play!!

ziggy and getbent like this.
  18. Cuba Libre

Cuba Libre Well-Known Member

Never !!!

Stizzla likes this.
  19. ILHG

ILHG Well-Known Member

So, I take if DFO is still chewing on the recommendation. I also read that the IPHC is trying to get together one more time to sort things out. If this is the case than I hope DFO will not be in a rush to open the season & let IPHC work things out.

Am I wrong in thinking there is still some hope yet?

20. ILHG

ILHG Well-Known Member

Interesting quote by the fisheries minister today regarding "Canada's owner-operator policy means individual fishermen are required to fish their licences personally and reap the rewards."

Inshore fisheries addressed
    The Liberals' changes also hope to protect the independent inshore commercial fishery.
    Canada's owner-operator policy means individual fishermen are required to fish their licences personally and reap the rewards. The fleet-separation policy ensures corporations cannot both be harvester and processor.
    But the Department of Fisheries and Oceans says it has been battling controlling agreements, which it says are an effort by companies and fishermen to get around those policies. Companies say the arrangements guarantee the supply they need to justify multimillion-dollar investments in facilities.

The newly announced proposals would enshrine "the social, economic and cultural factors" of fishing and promote independent licence holders, said LeBlanc.