Campbell River Reports 2014

Fished the hump today from about 9:45 to 2:30 and Green Can from 2:30 to 5:30. 4 springs, 6 coho and a ling. Springs are about 15 pounds except one that is barely legal. Released a 3-4 small ones as well. Using Christmas tree and Blue Meanie hootchies. Great day on the water.

Fished the Green Can on Friday. It was slower for me, picked up a coho, a pink and a 24 pound halibut. Only one spring and it was too small. Good day nonetheless.

Fished the Green Can on Friday. It was slower for me, picked up a coho, a pink and a 24 pound halibut. Only one spring and it was too small. Good day nonetheless.

hey Paul. Are you valeries dad? I was at the hump yesterday on the ebb, lots of fish caught all around me, couldn't scratch one up. may try again this afternoon, I think Todd wants to come out. Cheers, Dave.

Out last night for the end of the flood.
Hit three springs, red low teener, marbled 15 and white 20ish.
All taken west of the hump in deep water.
Blue meanie for them all. DR at or about 200-220.
Great action in 2 hours!

Afternoon fish on Friday. Started at the green can. One shaker and a few pinks, al released. Moved over to the Hump. Managed one teener. I must have been spoiled lately, because it didn't really feel like I did all that well. Didn't seem like anyone was doing any different though, just the odd boat picking the odd fish. Mine came from deep, 236 in 236, on blue plastic.

Also had a minor disaster. My kicker vibrated loose and fell off. (I never got around to taking your very good advice Gong Show.) Soooooooooo, if anyone has a small kicker they can part with for a reasonable price, pm me.

steelhead, I had the same thing happen to me when fishing at Kyuquot. It was disappointing and to make things worse, it was a borrowed kicker. So I ended up buying 2 :(. Ever since then I make sure all my kickers are though bolted either the bracket or transom. Glad you caught some fish.

Misery AND stupidity love company. At least I only have to buy one. Too bad that I gave the exact same motor to my buddy last Spring, when I thought I didn't need it, cuz who's ever going to need 2, right?

Ouch, that hurts S2. Sometimes I don't like being right.
You seem not to forget the expensive lessons though.

Fished Campbell River for the first time this past weekend. Went out with a guide for 3hrs on Sat. 4-7pm. Fished the northeast side of the hump, slow troll/drift with the ebb, then ran back and did it again. We hooked up ~10 times, 8 to the boat. Kept 4 between 12 and 22 lbs. Also picked up 3 pinks, bringing gear up. DR's were at 230-260' all on speckle back hootchies.

Fished Sun. from 7-1 with a buddy, just north of Browns bay. Landed two on chovies, in about 120' right close to the bottom, 12-14lbs. Went over to what he called 'Deep Bay' for the last hour and picked up a 17lber.

Great weekend and really nice to experience the fishery, up in this area. Those currents and depths were definitely a learning a learning curve!

The green can was hot on Tuesday evening. Down 220 over 300. They move around between there and the hump. Know the tides and look for fish if you don't see any keep moving.

We saw about 20 - 30 boats at the green can and hump around high slack/flood. Glad to hear someone did well !

Fished the hump and green can today from about 9am to 4pm. Good bite at hump on low slack around 11:00. Moved to Green Can after and it was slow. Landed 2 spring and 2 wild coho. Lost another. Most of the hits were on a Christmas tree hoocthie close to bottom.

Fished the hump from about 8am to 11:00 yesterday and then went to Green Can until 1:30. Salmon fishing was very slow for us, never got a hit. Released a ling that was just under. Lots of boats out and saw a few nets but overall it seemed slow. Talked to a couple guys at the Green Can that had nothing as well. We had a nice bonus though, we hooked into a nice hali that measured 133 cm on the nose (about 70 pounds). Very long fight to bring it in on a salmon rod.

Looking forward to hearing how others did because I couldn't attract a salmon at all.

Going out tomorrow, just back home from being away for work for over a month. Debating whether to fish the hump or go north of the narrows ? Any good reports from browns bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine went to the Green Sea last weekend (7 days ago) and said it was very quiet. Other than that, I haven't heard any reports.

Back