Buyin a new kicker

tubbed out

OK so ive decided to get a new kicker ......

I want the yammy t8
I have been quote the same price by to different dealers

one has an 08 and one has an 09
other than that same motor

any reason I should buy the 09 and not the 08 ?

Should be no difference except for the price and remaining warranty. Hope you can afford power tilt and E start.

quote:Originally posted by Klob

Should be no difference except for the price and remaining warranty. Hope you can afford power tilt and E start.

Warranty starts when you walk out the door so as long as they are both the same it doesn't really matter.

TenMile
<'((((><

The only difference is that the 08 is a year old as soon as you drive away from the lot and 2 years old in another 6 weeks. If you plan to keep it until the prop drops off of it then it doesn't matter.

Ive pretty much decided to go with the 2009 they dropped another 75$ and have been very helpful

Im just waiting on an email back on options and then Ill order

cant wait for a quiet kicker

next year new big motor

tubbed

Hey tubbed remember to check Naniamo for prices . I can`t remember the place i called but they were way cheeper then any shop i called in Vic. Payless in duncan will match pricing like i said before. Ask if you buy 2 motors what kinda deal you get if any as i`m looking early in the new year for a 6hp 4-stroke yami.

tight lines

Checked up island and even Van

very happy with the price I got

was very surprised how much prices varried

up to 600.00 more that I ended up payin

well I pick up a brand new t8 high thrust tomorrow
cant wait
its sure gona look funny hangin next to the 1974 merc that hangs back there for the big motor ,,, oh well next year

thanks everone for there advice

tubbed

I think I mentioned to you before smiley, an 8 hp kicker is plenty fine for your boat. I run an 8 Honda on my 17.5 and I don't need anymore. Could have even gone for a 6 hp me thinks.

I have a 2009 t8, regular prop pushing a 18.5 footer, does a good job, but if anyone has a high thrust prop i would be interested.

SG Power occassionally has older, but new, motors on at a bit of a discount to the current years. Same motoe as far as I could tell. I picked up an '06 T8 last year and saved a few bucks. Full warranty.

If the engine is only going to be used as a kicker I would go for the high thrust. The low gearing takes all the strain of the engine...giving longer engine life. If you ever have to tow another boat in, you'll have the torque to do it as well. Resale will be higher and easier.

I would also go for the HT. With my 8 HT Yamaha I have not had to use my big motor for trolling. My previous motor was an 8 Evinrude regular prop, while it was ok, the 8 HT Yamaha handles the boat much better in rougher water.

I heard starting next year there will be no more "year" models. Going forward they will be known as "generation" outboards. The idea being every five years Yamaha or Mercury would come out with a new "generation" model.

Hey Smiley... I agree with the other guys... I've run regular kickers and now have a Yami 9.9 high thrust on my 220 Hewescraft.
We fish "inside" and "offshore" and the high thrust improves performance alot in our case. More torque/lower gearing provides alot better handling all around and especially in the heavy conditions we often run in "offshore".... currents/windwaves/swells... And, the motors are made to run for long periods of time.

I just got a 1986 17 foot Double Eagle with a 90 hp Johnson (although the boat can take up to 150 hp). I need a kicker and was wondering if a 6 hp is enough or if I should go with an 8 hp? Is weight a consideration? Any recommendations? (I expect to re-power the main motor in a few years and will go with a Yamaha 90 four stroke.)

Had a 8hp honda 4 stroke on my 17 ft Double Eagle it was great didn't have to work the motor very hard and mounted it right beside the main engine, so no kicker bracket.

I've got a line on a Yamaha 2009 9.9 long shaft for my 17 foot Double Eagle - it is new and a very good deal. It is 8 pounds heavier than a Yamaha 8hp (91 vs. 83 pounds). Is this weight difference something to be concerned about? Any reason not to get the 9.9? 8's are hard to find.

If you carry a spare downrigger weight @ 13-15 lbs in the boat, 8lbs is not much.

JUST FISHEN'

Ran a 9.9 Yamaha on my 17 Double Eagle,no problem. Only thing you might want to do is raise it up a bit. Great combo on that hull. Dan

Thanks Dan. Why should one consider raising the 9.9? Do you mean using a bracket? The previous owner of my boat had a kicker mounted on the transom right beside the main motor (he sold that kicker before I bought the boat).

Back