BC Prawn season

N

Nascar24

Could someone please tell me when prawn season is? I've not
found any info on the internet.

Prawns are open year round, but there are seasonal closures in some areas. Best bet is to check the fisheries regs for the area you want to fish.

Try this link: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/default_e.htm

As TT mentioned, April 1 is the date that most of the local closures come off.

I prawn, therefore I am.

Prawns are open year round, but there are seasonal closures in some areas. Best bet is to check the fisheries regs for the area you want to fish.

Try this link: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/default_e.htm

As TT mentioned, April 1 is the date that most of the local closures come off.

I prawn, therefore I am.

I guess I should have been more precise. Is prawning season
still open in August?

I guess I should have been more precise. Is prawning season
still open in August?

Yes, the season is usually open Island wide in August. Depends on where you're looking as to whether there will be any about.

Damn Gov closed our Inlet fishery before I got home from hunting in November this year. Usually the season is open until at least January. Reason given for this year was explained as there were simply way too many egg-bearing females showing up in the test catches. Funny thing though, there were nearly a dozen of the old retired lads working the fishery then, getting damn few overall, and almost NO females in the catch. Wonder if the real reason might just have something to do with the whining from the commercial ladz (forced off the water through the usual sports season) coupled with the lumber giant wanting us to go away so they can drag their immense booms anywhere they bloody like without the hassle of avoiding legally placed gear, and finally, the additional drain on exhausted Departmental funding of monitoring the fishery and enforcing related regs???

Anyway, enough of the rant. Season opens April 1. I'll the the April Fool out there in the dark, setting my gear. Been so long I've nearly forgotten how they taste, and sure looking forward to a feed or two.

Cheers,
Nog

Yes, the season is usually open Island wide in August. Depends on where you're looking as to whether there will be any about.

Damn Gov closed our Inlet fishery before I got home from hunting in November this year. Usually the season is open until at least January. Reason given for this year was explained as there were simply way too many egg-bearing females showing up in the test catches. Funny thing though, there were nearly a dozen of the old retired lads working the fishery then, getting damn few overall, and almost NO females in the catch. Wonder if the real reason might just have something to do with the whining from the commercial ladz (forced off the water through the usual sports season) coupled with the lumber giant wanting us to go away so they can drag their immense booms anywhere they bloody like without the hassle of avoiding legally placed gear, and finally, the additional drain on exhausted Departmental funding of monitoring the fishery and enforcing related regs???

Anyway, enough of the rant. Season opens April 1. I'll the the April Fool out there in the dark, setting my gear. Been so long I've nearly forgotten how they taste, and sure looking forward to a feed or two.

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks a ton for the replies and info. A friend from
Edmonton wants to go to Powell River in early August
hopefully to go out prawning one day with a friend.

Thanks a ton for the replies and info. A friend from
Edmonton wants to go to Powell River in early August
hopefully to go out prawning one day with a friend.

Back