Ahousaht occupy fish farm site....

Good for the First Nations for doing this! Someone needs to stand up against the salmon feedlot industry from expanding!

It is disgusting how the both Prov and Fed, govts have completely ignored the Cohen Commission's recommendations about not expanding this very questionable industry.

A very sad example of how our govt's refuse to listen to the experts they set up to investigate issues (at great tax payers expense), but have no problem caving into foreign multi-national companies to expand and the $$$ they buy off our politicians with to do so - makes me sick!!!:mad:

We need to remember this and how other fishery and environmental issues have been handled by the current Harper govt. when we cast our votes. If we just think about our short term bank accounts and not the long term natural environment what will be left for our children?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its good but I am cautious. I keep seeing a lot of these going on and well I am sure majority are about the land and resources. Some bands are just demanding money and letting government do what it want, and some fold and get paid off. This is not all of them and it has happened with different projects. There are a few even on island that has happened. Anyway not too sideline it is good at least someone is saying something. Its not right these are out on ocean, and they are not even owned by our country? Norway need to get lost and do here farming in their own country. This is one of these issues that should be voted by referendum by BC citizens only.

Good for the First Nations for doing this! Someone needs to stand up against the salmon feedlot industry from expanding!

It is disgusting how the both Prov and Fed, govts have completely ignored the Cohen Commission's recommendations about not expanding this very questionable industry.

A very sad example of how our govt's refuse to listen to the experts they set up to investigate issues (at great tax payers expense), but have no problem caving into foreign multi-national companies to expand and the $$$ they buy off our politicians with to do so - makes me sick!!!:mad:

We need to remember this and how other fishery and environmental issues have been handled by the current Harper govt. when we cast our votes. If we just think about our short term bank accounts and not the long term natural environment what will be left for our children?

Don't count on people changing there minds on voting. I would say nearly half on here will vote Harper in again and beyond than blab for another 4 years how we are were losing fish. The politics in this country suck because its about whatever Ontario and Quebec do. They own the most seats so we get screwed out here. Look at there add campaign with Atlantic salmon on it so out of touch with BC not even funny. Even with voting it will be Ontario that will decide who next party is. That has always been our problem here.

Don't count on people changing there minds on voting. I would say nearly half on here will vote Harper in again and beyond than blab for another 4 years how we are were losing fish. The politics in this country suck because its about whatever Ontario and Quebec do. They own the most seats so we get screwed out here. Look at there add campaign with Atlantic salmon on it so out of touch with BC not even funny. Even with voting it will be Ontario that will decide who next party is. That has always been our problem here.
To this end, perhaps what we really should be doing is asking ourselves what does Western Canada REALLY get from the Dominion?

We get to pay more in taxes, than we receive back in equalization payments (and have for more than 50 years)
We get a really really good hockey team at the Olympics every 4 years (I suspect that we could still put together an fricken Awesome Western Canada Team)
We get to have French spoon fed to us even though less than 5% of our population speaks the dying language
We get a federal government that is so out of touch that it refuses to deal with Native Land claims and blatantly ignores all illegal FN activities
We get a government that is so out of touch with the West Coast that it cant even find the species to represent nearly everything that West Coasters hold dear.

such a deal;-)

Would be interesting to have a thread of what each Leader has promised to do regarding saving wild salmon. I suspect it would be pretty brief, but maybe I've been missing all the anouncements? It would impact my vote and I'm sure many others on here, but I honestly don't believe we are any of the parties radar .

To this end, perhaps what we really should be doing is asking ourselves what does Western Canada REALLY get from the Dominion?

We get to pay more in taxes, than we receive back in equalization payments (and have for more than 50 years)
We get a really really good hockey team at the Olympics every 4 years (I suspect that we could still put together an fricken Awesome Western Canada Team)
We get to have French spoon fed to us even though less than 5% of our population speaks the dying language
We get a federal government that is so out of touch that it refuses to deal with Native Land claims and blatantly ignores all illegal FN activities
We get a government that is so out of touch with the West Coast that it cant even find the species to represent nearly everything that West Coasters hold dear.

such a deal;-)

Love that response.... good one...

Would be interesting to have a thread of what each Leader has promised to do regarding saving wild salmon. I suspect it would be pretty brief, but maybe I've been missing all the anouncements? It would impact my vote and I'm sure many others on here, but I honestly don't believe we are any of the parties radar .
Excellent idea, Ziggy! The Atlantic Salmon Federation already thought of this - and will be summarizing their results from each party (focused on Atlantic Salmon) by this Sept 25th: http://www.asf.ca/how-important-are-atlantic-salmon-to-canada-s-leaders.html

Excellent idea, Ziggy! The Atlantic Salmon Federation already thought of this - and will be summarizing their results from each party (focused on Atlantic Salmon) by this Sept 25th: http://www.asf.ca/how-important-are-atlantic-salmon-to-canada-s-leaders.html

Please do and maybe also show this question as well : What has the current government done for wild salmon specifically in BC coast in last 8 years (5 major things). That's way more important in my view. Anyone can make promises but you have to look at the record in office. The conservatives and with ministers like specifically Gail Shea have to go before they kill our coast. I just don't see how they benefit what we we all enjoy and our trying to save.

On a similar note SVIAC will be doing the same for all the Fed. political parties to find out their positions on west coast fishing issues for their members in the next week or two, just like they did before the provincial election.

...Anyone can make promises but you have to look at the record in office. The conservatives and with ministers like specifically Gail Shea have to go before they kill our coast. I just don't see how they benefit what we we all enjoy and our trying to save...
Couldn't agree more, SV!

Attachments

• 11998911_10152968620931021_1970610050098100901_n.jpg
    11998911_10152968620931021_1970610050098100901_n.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 204
Love that response.... good one...
Thanks SV, I am not advocating Western Separation, but even if we just huffed at it a little bit, perhaps the West would get more of a fair shake from the feds. Imagine the power and strength of a Western Canada that included Manitoba west and all 3 Northern Territories..............

Please do and maybe also show this question as well : What has the current government done for wild salmon specifically in BC coast in last 8 years (5 major things). That's way more important in my view. Anyone can make promises but you have to look at the record in office. The conservatives and with ministers like specifically Gail Shea have to go before they kill our coast. I just don't see how they benefit what we we all enjoy and our trying to save.

Why stop at eight? We have the Liberals and Conservatives that could have done more in their tenure but didn't. We have the NDP and Greens who have never formed a government so can only make promises! I guess everyone is pretty much eliminated?

X2 on this.

such a deal;-)

ok - how about this then: http://www.stewardshipcentrebc.ca/PDF_docs/SW/Stewardship Works_Supporting Stewardship.pdf

p.6: "Since 2002, most of the major funding sources, mainly for fisheries and watershed work, have been terminated, including; Fisheries Renewal B.C., Fisheries and Oceans’ Habitat Conservation and Stewardship Program, Habitat Restoration and Salmon Enhancement Program, B.C. Urban Salmon Habitat Program, and the Environmental Youth Team."

With my experience with the Ahousats......

they probably didn't get the full kickback they were asking for from the fish farm company so they pulled this manoever

What an ironic advertisement this is; Cermaq(marine harvest) being bashed above and below their own attempt to buy the local support.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/...nning-of-the-end-of-salmon-farming-in-bc.html

There are some excellent points in the article about herring around the fish farms. I am convinced that they are essentially a death chamber that the herring never come out of. Good way to keep that food conversion ratio down, hey Clayoquot Kid?

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 9.05.26 PM.jpg

Back