2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by pescador, Jan 1, 2017.

1. dmurph

dmurph Well-Known Member

Looks like another epic trip spring fever,thanks for sharing

2. RiverBoy

RiverBoy Active Member

Thanks for the report SF. These pink dildos sound like a massive pain. Weird stuff going on over there last few years. Sun fish, large sharks, vellelium ( sp? - those purple lip looking sail jellies) weird algae blooms, warm blobs, now this. How bad did they impact trolling? Were they found at all depths? I'm heading to Nootka second week of July. Being a tad early I was planning on fishing outside toward Beano, and Maquinna. Could be a complete change of plans in the works.

3. Reel Obsession

Reel Obsession New Member

Salmon fishing has been quite good. Chinook are averaging 12-20 pounds with a few larger fish in the mix. Limits are being achieved by most anglers. Needlefish hoochies and anchovies have been the best baits this week. Purple haze squirt with orange beads was working exceptional for us. The salmon are eating 3-5 inch immature rock fish that have an orange coloring to them. At Esperanza reef 70 feet all the way to bottom have been the best depths. Ling cod and bottom fish limits are being taken here while salmon fishing. We are allowed 2 rock fish and 2 ling cod per day so there is lots of freezers filling up. Halibut fishing is excellent as always. Salmon bellies and squid have been the best baits this past week. Good spots to try are the 8 mile pinnacles and 12 mile reef.

RO j1.JPG

Ro J2.jpg

Ro J4.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    tains and eriks like this.
  4. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

5. spring fever

You are guide-you should know better -- you certainly are "NOT" allowed 3 lings a day as you stated!! Hope that was just a slip of the pen and not what you are targeting. The new regs have been in place for a couple of weeks--perhaps you should read them!

6. SpringFever552

SpringFever552 Well-Known Member

Just back from Nootka
    Easy limit of 12-15lb springs were found at lighthouse at 49-75ft down out front and by monument.
    CGuard heli crew was out everyday working on a tower at lighthouse
    Maquinna had lots of bait with even more black seabass.

Those pink "seacucumber dildos"? are a royal pain in the a$$ if trolling.. I found they were EVERYWHERE I went on a flat calm Tuesday off shore

No lings or halis for me but easy limits on all other bottom fish
    Only saw 1 commercial prawn boat working in my travels with only a few sets of line out

bones likes this.
  7. spring fever

Glad you had a great trip and found the salmon!!

8. spring fever

They impacted trolling quite a bit--lots of false takes and lines popping off when the weight built up. Better in shore around Bajo. Creatures of tide I'm told!! This too shall pass!!

9. pescador

pescador Well-Known Member

10. spring fever

Don't think they are an invasive species as their range is as far north as Calvert island. The Commies reported them and that's how I knew the scientific name of pink dildo or as the more learned gentlemen such as Nog might call them Pyrosomes. Maybe they'll get excited and leave!! LOL

11. pescador

pescador Well-Known Member

I'll let you know in 27 days

bones likes this.
  12. Reel Obsession

Reel Obsession New Member

Thanks for pointing out my error SF...had a brain cramp as it should read 2 for limits. I have corrected the post.

13. Lil pepper

Lil pepper New Member

First trip of the year...easy launch...started fishing at 11 near SanCarlos...had first 10 liber in the boat by noon...fishing rockfish imimitation hootchie, yellow belly and glow green splatterback.Fish were stuffed with Juvenile rockfish. Also my son Nik was out meeting Cam at Critter as he is starting out as Dock Boy...Everyone was catching fish inside...friend Randy got a 25 lb. chinook

Gray Adventure, pescador and saanauk like this.
  14. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Member

29 days!! cannot wait!

dmurph likes this.
  15. greenhornet

greenhornet Member

sounds like theres a few fish around Ill be up on the 15 to the 26 hope the wind stays down lol

16. greenhornet

greenhornet Member

anyone catching any pinks ?

17. Lil pepper

Lil pepper New Member

18. Lil pepper

Lil pepper New Member

Just pink pyrosomes

19. 1stLite

1stLite Member

Are those Pyrosomes just offshore or are they along the beach and in the sound also.

20. SpringFever552

SpringFever552 Well-Known Member

This time last week EVERYWHERE offshore
    Nothing inshore