Discussion in '2016 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by uclueletcharters, Apr 6, 2016.
FD. Is Osama back in Bamfield and where?
unfortunately he has left the building ,
lives in the interior now ,doing very well , not the same out west without him ,
miss the guy , lotta good times.....
He was fun to follow. Passed him at Beale one morning.
Gale force winds predicted over next few days when we start our trip. Aside from backside of meares which will be hard to return from, or just around the corner at begg I've got no real answers. We usually get anywhere in our dbl eagle (20 ft but deep). Any ideas? Thanks in advance
enviroment canada drop the ball many times this year with the prediction,monitor your vhf in the morning u might get lucky
My last trip to Ukie, Environment Canada predicted the same thing. Turned out to a lot of "hot air" and the winds were less than half the prediction. Fishing is picking up and you may get lucky on the winds again. Starfish is the latest hot spot, but if they are there they should be milling around all of the offshore spots. Get up real early and get out there and even if the NW picks up, you should get a few decent hours in.
Yup...July 13-15 off Tofino forecast had us worried according to Env Can, Windyty had the right prediction. Instead of building to 35 in the afternoon it laid down to about 5.
Assuming they actually get teh La Perouse anemometer working again......
Commercial tuna boats are coming in to hide. Forecast seems legit. Whitecaps from NW in Ukee harbour. Morning may lay down some.
Buoyweather has been bang on accurate for us. I have a subscription but they do offer a free 2 day outlook. I have compared the free 2 day to my paid and it is only out a little bit. It looks ok in the morn for the next couple of days. Afternoons look windy. The long range looks the shites though . Have to just keep an eye on it and hope it changes. Going up for the long weekend and I don't want to have to hide behind Islands to fish .
some of those islands may surprise you right now !!!
I hear ya. We fished Meares Sunday evening on the minor and the bait and fish were there. Water temp was cooler than Swale. We let a couple of just overs go and released a few shakers. Just couldn't get anything decent to stick. Heard of some nice ones caught in the morn. They are there for sure .
Heading out for the first time Thursday. Any tips/locations? Read through salmon university and looking at the weather as everyone else. Any help would be appreciated.
several fish came in of quality on the wknd , in the 20's class , all inshore guys ,
much better fishing this week , headin back friday for a 10 day , if any of ya are out there, send
me a pm or text ,see if we can stay on the fish ,,,,
fresh batch of large chromer sox in port again
fished chrow island around the kelp beds, mira rock and green can buoy to way point...just little guys...no keepers..different depths, quad stacking with one right in the stern. hali fished on the bank and drifted in, nothing, where the heck are the fish. never seen it this bad...
Friday we arrived Salmon beach. Low tide saterday morning kept us at shore till 11 am ,then headed for open water .started fishing northwest side of chrowe isl and started heading for starlight rocks .wind was building stronger and midway to starlight rocks nailed and bagged a 28 lb spring on green anchovie special, green flasher 50 feet.cod and salmon had 2" bait falling from there mouths,off the water by 2pm.Sunday was a family day with fishing from 4pm to 8pm, windy spent 1 hour at chrowe and moved in behind southeast side of david isl .non-stop action of undersize springs on a 2" tom mack at 30 feet and a 12 lb coho at david isl on a 3x3 alaskan plug at 50 feet and a few more cod.Monday allowed us to get on the water at 5 am and headed to north west side of chrowe and fished to a midway point to starlight,double header of 20 lb springs at the kelp bed .one at 50 feet bluberry muffin coho killer purple haze flasher ,and one on a green anchovie special pal flasher 40 feet.turned around to make another pass with a winter white hochie gold red hotspot flasher(i was reting leaders after fish)a 30 lb hali at 40 feet ,halfway in the net forward hook snags the net and it slipped out and bust off.off the water by 8 am before low tide made ramp impossible.lots of unersize springs on 2" tom mack .Tusday 5 am back at the mid way point could not make a good troll without catching cod, lings wind had us hiding behind chrowe with a few undersize springs.off the water by 1pm.every fish brought to the boat had full bellies and mouths of 2" fish.great trip and all had fun.
Great report Fish Camp.
LA PEROUSE buoy
I have noticed in the last 2 weeks , that it says NA( as in not available broken) for wind direction. Swell readings work, so I have put a safety concern in with the weather office. They replied right away. I said , that as there are upwards of 200 sporties and guides fishing from Swiftsure to Starfish, La Perouse is the only offshore indicator of wind we have. I feel it is imperative, that we have it working for the summer season. Two weeks ago, they went out and checked and found that seal lions? have broken a unit, which they replaced. Apparently it has also quit working. As I am only the 2nd phone call they have received, after I explained how vital it is for offshore, and how many sporties are actually out there, now they are going to attempt more repairs as soon as possible. They need to get Coast Guard to take repair tecks out there. Meanwhile, I noticed over the last 2 yrs , another smaller yellow ODAS buoy, at 48.53.07 x 125.38.06 if anybody is out there this weekend, could u swing by and see if its still there. The weather dept, is not aware of it, but they said, it we can get a number or current position, they will contact whose it is and see if they can gather wind info off it for the summer.
and if we don't get it fixed soon, here is the number to call 604-664-9100, or email ec.ReceptionTemp.ec@Canada.ca and just say, you need La Perouse fixed.
Just finished 3rd day of ukee fishing, a day and a half to go. We are not used to struggling to the degree we have this year. Last year at this time we had fairly easy limits at wya and big bank in mornings with the odd evening spring at the lighthouse or begg. Of course this year the wind has made big bank out of reach for us (looking back we could've probably made the run but with the whole tuna fleet in ukee harbour still we didn't want to take the chance). We've been out to hyson a couple times but it seems to have slowed a bit from a few days ago. Got an 18 there today while fishing in close to a 3 meter swell (only about 8 boats there today compared to 4-5 times that the previous few days). In addition to hyson we tried some marked spots we have about 1.5-2 miles off Portland pt. we also trolled back with the swell in about 150 ft of water. Got into quite a few coho doing that (one was a 12 lb hatchery). All in all four springs and a coho first day. 3 springs the second day and today at hyson an 18 lb spring. A few undersized throughout the trip. Have fished off Chrowe, great bear and begg in the afternoon and evenings. Had a few strikes but nothing either landed or big enough to keep. Generally very slow on the inside. A guide we spoke to at the gas bar said his clients got skunked with him today despite his roughing it at hyson and going several other places. We've succeeded on some bait, some needlefish/glow hoochies and a small pearly spoon (matches the colour/size of these small soft pink/orange baitfish the salmon are gorging on. A few midwater table (while in 150 at bank) and a few dragging in the mud. We are used to figuring out what the fish are doing and then doing well. This year the combo of wind and fewer fish are preventing us from doing our thing. Overall slow but still nice to be on the water with friends.
Just finished a 3 day trip in ukee.
Day one (friday) - gale force winds so we launched the boat and fished salmon beach area for a couple hours. Got a 10lb coho and a 8lb spring.
Day 2 - still gale force , but we decided to try heading out to sail rock as waves were not too bad mid day. Worked out well, and we ended up with 22 and 18 lb springs. Also a nice 8lb yelloweye and a couple smaller rock cod for dinner. Stopped by beg isl on the way home and pulled up a 8lb Ling. Decent mixed bag day considering weather. Salmon taken on small spoon 2 inch like a cop car with no black. Turns out this would be the hot lure of the trip
Day 3 - still somewhat windy so we tried sail rock again to start, not much action. Fished the tide change and got one small keeper spring - 10lb. My uncle's boat was currently arriving at starfish. We started heading that way and stopped at turtle head , adipose with little luck , just a couple small ones. Then we hear starfish is producing, and continue heading over. End up arriving at 430 fish till 630 with a 21 lb spring to show for it. 100' small spoon as above. My uncle ends up with 4 springs 16-22lbs in a few hours at starfish. All fish at 100' small spoons, one on a white hootchy.
Overall pretty happy with our results considering the challenging conditions. Enjoyed eating rockfish breakfast and dinner- nom nom, got a couple in the cooler for breakfast tmrw before we head back to the mainland.
Buzz is that it has been slow, but also the weather has been preventative from finding the fish
Separate names with a comma.