Search results

1. J

2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Prawning in HS has been poor... but not 0 like most years at this time. We always used to start prawning again late August. We are getting ~12 per two trap set per day... ‍♂️
  2. J

2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Long time no post. Here’s a nice 9lb spring caught Oct 13 in Howe Sound. Wasn’t expecting a fish much less one this size considering the time of year.
  3. J

Was out this morning. Got up late and missed the ebb and low slack at Tunstall but still managed one. We also have crazy tangles and caught bottom but those stories you don't want to hear about
  4. J

What depth were you fishing? We were 100-150' on the riggers. My kicker gas line broke so I was forced to use the main. Line angles were very flat in the current so I'm assuming we were down not much more than 50-100'. Didn't want to explore the dephts too much w the kids on board... but I...
  5. J

Round our circle we call that the "trifecta." Nice work! Fished Hole for 2 hours Saturday without a whiff. Decent prawn sets Sat and Sunday... didn't fish Sunday as the outflows made Hole lumpy.
  6. J

Tight Patrick Laines out there boys and with some Eddie Lack and the grace of Eric Godard we'll get er Marcel Dionne. Get off yer Jeff Bukabooms and let's make this Jeff Halpern!
  7. J

Warning: this has nothing to do with fishing but is easily one of the funnier things I've heard in a while... https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=QSy7Cus3yDE
  8. J

I'm gonna fish HITW with the kids 4 til dusk this aft. Fly by and say hi if you're in the hood. Will also fish 10-noon tomorrow same area.
  9. J

Thanks to all who responded re: prawn trap question. I note that more than two traps requires two floats. Makes sense; this is what the commercial guys do. Before reading this I did pop the triple trap line down without weight (figuring that three traps is enough weight on its own) and the...
  10. J

Took a Saturday stroll down the wall on way to get prawn traps; caught an undersize; 100' water Pesca. No luck yesterday but only fished 45 minutes. Will try again this morning. Last two days have been calmer than I've seen in quite a while. Prawning has been average. I'm having troubles...
  11. J

Was out on Bowyer Thursday night to mid day today. Dropped prawn traps and tried going round the north end of Bowen at 9am Friday. 35kt winds, snow sideways and next to zero vis. Had to turn around. Decent prawn haul. Will be back for more next weekend.
  12. J

I can also confirm that it's against regs to crab at night. I know this because I went one morning to gather my traps (off Jericho) that had been set the night before and they were gone! I assumed they had been stolen but I got a call from the VPD property branch a few days later (required to...
  13. J

Lose weight now; ask me how! I've been laid up on the norodiet for past two weeks. Upside: lost 10 pounds. Downside: haven't been out. I'm sure all is well in the sound though. Lots of reasonably priced spoons and flashers at the boat show FYI. Good place to load up.
  14. J

I'm quite certain the commercial opening is for ~8 weeks starting June 1. My experience is forget about prawning during that time. Not only will you catch more or less nothing but you run the risk of the commercial guys running over your trap. I figure they get 8 weeks and I get the rest so I...
  15. J

I double up and put anywhere from 5-15lb of weight in addition and the Scotty does fine. It's not lightening fast; I think I've timed it at ~6 minutes.
  16. J

I use the Scotty prawn puller which mounts onto their downrigger mounts. You do still have to guide the line but I believe they are less than the Ace Haulers. Anyhow I've had mine for 2-3 years now and haven't a single issue.
  17. J

Batter and bruised but not beaten. Was a little sloppy out in the sound. Got lots of nice prawns.
  18. J

We'll be out there tomorrow. White Whaler "Time Out"... will be with my two young boys. Have fun!
Back