Stacking with a dummy flasher

Toolguy

I have been wanting to try using a dummy flasher with my lure on a clip higher up. I read a post recently that reminded me of this and I finally tried it out today. I approached it from a quasi scientific way. 2 rods out, one side done in the traditional method and the other stacked with a dummy. I tried different depth and lures.

We had a decent day. 7 Salmon. 6 in the boat (1 wild coho, 1 hatchery coho, 1 spring, 3 Pinks). 5 kept. Both sides caught fish but we had a whole lot more fun with just a hook and line on the fish without the flasher in between! Next time out, I'm going to use the dummy flasher on both sides. I think this will be my new way of fishing. I can't think of a reason not to do this now that I'm confident there isn't a trade off of fish caught.

Tight lines!

Neil

Hell yes man. Only way I roll. (That & ryhs Davis)

Started fishing this way as well. Still need to try different things but lengths and distances are working out. Way better fight.

I have been wanting to try using a dummy flasher with my lure on a clip higher up. I read a post recently that reminded me of this and I finally tried it out today. I approached it from a quasi scientific way. 2 rods out, one side done in the traditional method and the other stacked with a dummy. I tried different depth and lures.

We had a decent day. 7 Salmon. 6 in the boat (1 wild coho, 1 hatchery coho, 1 spring, 3 Pinks). 5 kept. Both sides caught fish but we had a whole lot more fun with just a hook and line on the fish without the flasher in between! Next time out, I'm going to use the dummy flasher on both sides. I think this will be my new way of fishing. I can't think of a reason not to do this now that I'm confident there isn't a trade off of fish caught.

Tight lines!

Neil
i have tried this too, just wondering what kind of flasher you used? i have tried traditional flasher with about 6 feet of line. A hot spot agitator and a chain of flashers

Tight lines!

Neil
sorry also when you say stacked did you put two different lures on two different rods above the fake flasher? i have only tried one

I should also note that I have been happy with both just a plain flasher on a 3-4' line that is connected just above the down rigger weight, as well as daisy chain set up. (Kone Zone). How ever my personal preference has been to remove the small front flasher out of the daisy chain. It makes it a better length to work with & less tangles. Also I seem to have more hook ups with smaller daisy chain.

sorry also when you say stacked did you put two different lures on two different rods above the fake flasher? i have only tried one
I only used a regular 11" flasher. It worked just fine but I will look into the spinners and daisy chains. I don't have any of this gear and I hadn't thought about it. Can we get other POV's on this? Back to the store I go!

Went away from inline flasher to dummy flasher last couple seasons. My trip last week went away from dummy flasher and just nose tying herring and anchovies and had very good success. Less junk the better I'm noticing and a way better fight from the fish.

Do you clip the dummy right to the downrigger ball, and about 3-4ft of thick mono?

How far up the cable do you run the lure/bait? Do you go just high enough up the cable to exceed the the length of the line on the dummy? And how many pulls is typical before clipping on?

I dont run the dummy off the ball, when you lose the ball you lose your dummy. Kone zone chains can get expensive. I run the dummy 3-6" above it. On the bright side sure would make finding then on the bottom easier,lol

I run rollyblades for dummy flashers, they work awesome right off the ball

I run rollyblades for dummy flashers, they work awesome right off the ball
An interesting idea much like the Swarm Flasher from Wigglefin

Two small quibbles with the Rollyblade-going fast does not scare fish they might ignore it like Chum & Sockeye but most of us have caught Coho more or less by accident when we took off and left a line danging they also grab Albacore lures going 6mph regularly.

Also some proofreading is in order for the Rollyblade video channel 'Flahser Video 2017' just doesn't cut it.

An interesting idea much like the Swarm Flasher from Wigglefin

Two small quibbles with the Rollyblade-going fast does not scare fish they might ignore it like Chum & Sockeye but most of us have caught Coho more or less by accident when we took off and left a line danging they also grab Albacore lures going 6mph regularly.

Also some proofreading is in order for the Rollyblade video channel 'Flahser Video 2017' just doesn't cut it.
Cmon Carl, lets not nitpick the kids in nakusp BC that make these, its a great project for them and a fund raiser for the school

I should also note that I have been happy with both just a plain flasher on a 3-4' line that is connected just above the down rigger weight, as well as daisy chain set up. (Kone Zone). How ever my personal preference has been to remove the small front flasher out of the daisy chain. It makes it a better length to work with & less tangles. Also I seem to have more hook ups with smaller daisy chain.

how far behind the daisy chain do you run your bait?

Another take on a Dummy--I fish a straight chovy or a spoon at the exact same depth as my partner on the other side of the boat. Same effect-without the hassle and works quite well until he realizes you are getting the majority of the hits! LOL

I'm on the fence recently if in-lines do more harm than good in particular areas. I have success with both of course... Way more fun fighting with no flasher (worth it alone IMO), and I feel like I do better with just an anchovy or spoon on the rigger with a dummy below. When I fish locally honestly I've started to find I get more hookups with no flasher (subjective for sure!)... Always try a side with a dummy (about 48" tied to ball with power pro and swivels), and one without. Almost like some days the fish are timid. I need more time experimenting with this theory yet though.

Only time I'll do in-line when I am running the gear is when I need to impart action like a hootchie. (Duh!)

If you do want to support a good cause buy that Rolly-blade, that's a good program, you are helping contribute to kids learning to preserve a resource, learn about conservation and the environment!
Speaking of which I should probably try mine I've had for years :rolleyes: hahah

Back